PDA

View Full Version : Tall windshield Suggestion

03-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I am 6'6" tall 220 lbs and looking for a tall windshield for my R1200RT. With the standard shield fully raised my mouth is 5" above the top and wind hits me about my nose. Any tall rider out there with opinions about windshield. I am looking at the Ztechnik tall shield +3" and the Cee Bailey +4" shield, Polycarbonate Vs. Acrylic?
Any other shield I should be looking at?

mike
moa #20407
R1200RT
R75/7 with Hannigan Touring fairing with wings on top
R90S Standard fairing , face full of bugs

greenwald
03-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Like seats, aftermarket windshields have several good sources. I can speak only to personal experience with my Cee Bailey.

Excellent shield. Why? Has stood up to incredible wind shearing, gives me good air and rain protection in some rather fierce weather (open plains) and is optically clear. I would recommend it highly.

Caveat: ANY shield that is going to increase the surface area subject to aerodynamic forces should have beefed up struts to support the pressure load it will have to bear.

PM me for a source of bullet-proof aluminum struts to replace the OEM ones made of 'pot (slag) metal.'

Good Luck with your choice!

azrtrdr
03-16-2009, 08:16 AM
6'6" here too.
I like my Aeroflow tall.
Just sayin.:blah
I just remembered. I had a CeeBailey's on one of my RTs and it was very good too.

valvman1
03-18-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm 6-4 and am pleased w/ my tall ztechnik. I find it to be much quieter overall tho'
at lower settings I sometimes hear a slight whistle tho' only at moderate (40-50 mph) speeds. Buffeting is also significantly reduced. I've been using it for about 1-1/2 months now and 2K miles. The quantum coated polycarbonate reportedly has better crack and impact strength than acrylic. ( I should note that I haven't had the opportunity to try any other windscreens as yet )
I noted in Greenwald's post mention of heavy duty struts to replace the pot metal
units and would be very interested in installing same on my bike as I've also been concerned w/ the strength and reliability of the OEM units, especially considering how bumpy many of the roads I travel on are.

Ride Safe and Often,
Dave Bogue
R1200rt '08

marcopolo
03-18-2009, 12:25 AM
I've put on 50,000 kms (30,000 miles) with a Ztechnik mounted to the OEM support arms. I've had no problems, nor have I ever heard on a Ztechnik causing problems with the arms; the same is not true of other aftermarket windscreen brands if one goes by forum posts (though hardly scientific).

bru
03-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Cal-Sci wind screen?:ear
Thanks.

professor
03-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I recommend you contact Califoria Scientific and talk to the main guy there - i think his name is Mark, but it's been a while.

I got a C.S. shield about a year ago and really like it. I'm not nearly as tall as you, but I'm betting they can help you. Their windshields have an opening near the base that changes the airflow in a way that reduces turbulance behind the windscreen and also reduces stress on the shield. It's returnable if it doesn't do the job.

mlarsenjd
03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I am 6'4" and recently installed a Calsci XL on my R1200GS. So far I really like it. Little to no buffeting at 70 mph. It was easy to install, and uses the standard attachments from the original windshield.

janschunck
03-23-2009, 06:48 AM
I have tried the high windshield from Calsci but still had some buffeting and lots of noise. Only when it was so high I barely could look over, it was great. I also cut it, making the shield present a straight horizontal line when up - it helped. Later I tried Laminar Lip and tried it on the original shield. I find this the far best solution of them all - even though it it for sure is not very nice.

TourNut
03-26-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm 6'3" in the mornings (6'2" in the evenings, darn middleage!) but I ordered the ZTechnik 2" taller windshield last weekend ; I didn't see any +3" choices , even though I was in 2 of ZTechnik's websites and A&S cycles website . All in all, their technology sounded real good.

janschunck
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
...and by the way, there is another solution. It is more cheap and, in my opinion, the best: I have installed LaminarLip to my original windscreen. It can be discussed wether this is more nice than a taller/wider screen . However - the elegant look of the original is preserved when been looked at from front and back. The biiig ones tend to give the bike a more "Dodge RAM" or "barn-door" look.
:whistle

Retarded Jarhead
03-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm 6'2 or 3" and it made a worl of difference on a 2008 R1200GSA.

Not too pricey, easy install - great results (especially when the bike is getting washed in the rain)