PDA

View Full Version : Oil from Winter Storage

hintzir09
03-11-2009, 03:48 AM
I changed my oil right before winter. In two weeks I leave for Florida, 3000 miles round trip.

Should I put in new oil before I go, or is the oil from the winter adequate?

reimerdavid
03-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I always change the oil and filter prior to a long trip. Actually I put 10w40 as part of my Winter storage program in the Fall. I'll change it once the weather warms up in the Spring with the recommended 20w 50 oil.

roy
03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
This depends some on where and or how the bike was stored.

If it was stored in a some what temperature controled environment I would not change it since there would be very little condensation build up in the oil.

If stored in an open shed where there was lots of moisture and wide swings in temperature there is more chance of condensation build up so changing the oil helps remove this moisture.

I susbscribe to change the fluids in the fall and ride away in the spring. Others will leave the old oil in all winter and change in the spring.

Boils down to what makes you feel good.

Roy

BMWRich58
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I changed my oil right before winter. In two weeks I leave for Florida, 3000 miles round trip.

Should I put in new oil before I go, or is the oil from the winter adequate?

Changed my oil in November,15w50. Rode maybe two or three times when weather allowed around Christmas an New Years.

Just last week did over 1000 miles riding around Texas...on that same oil...4 months old.....No problems..

If the oil had been in the engine since August with several thousand miles, yes I'd change it.
But for being somewhat fresh and sitting with no actual use......???
As long as the level is correct and specfic grade for the warmer climate.. go ride and enjoy!

DZIMBRIC
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
What is the peace of mind worth? If it bothers you enough to ask the question, then change it and you will have one less worry.

BUBBAZANETTI
03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
If stored in an open shed where there was lots of moisture and wide swings in temperature there is more chance of condensation build up so changing the oil helps remove this moisture.

I susbscribe to change the fluids in the fall and ride away in the spring. Others will leave the old oil in all winter and change in the spring.

Roy

normally this is what i do as well. this year, i wasn't able to change it when i stored it, and the oil was probably changed at some point during the summer and has a few k miles on it.

i was thinking about this, i'm going to get the bike out of storage this winter (it was stored in the "shed" type conditions you describe above.

would you guys agree that it is best to just drain and replace cold, before riding, or to take the bike for a spin first then change???

i get so anal about this stuff sometimes.:blah

dbrick
03-11-2009, 04:34 PM

I thought that oil-carried moisture is removed by running the bike so it's thoroughly warmed up. Any tribologists out there to comment?

Yes!

akbeemer
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
My understanding is that the reason to change the oil before storage is to prevent damage to the machined friction areas of the engine by the acids formed as a byproduct of combustion and moisture. Sulphuric acid can be formed in strong enough concentrations to etch metal when left in contact longterm. If the oil has relatively little mileage on it when the bike is stored then there are fewer byproducts hence less acid. How many miles is too many?... don't know. As to changing it again before riding in the spring, I think the previous comments about storage conditions are correct, but I change it anyway.

ANDYVH
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
If the oil was changed just before storage, and the bike was either not run, or run very little, there is no reason to change the oil again and create more waste. Like said above, the real issue are the acids built up in an engine that has been running on the same oil for some time.

If I ran my bike right to the end of the season without an oil change to prep for spring, then yes I would change the oil. But if I changed the oil just prior to storage, and the bike was not run, then no need to change the oil again. By the way, I have followed this practice with my 94 RS since October of 94 and for all the 140,000 miles now on the bike. Never had to go into the engine, runs great!

Also, do NOT go out and start your bike on a weekly or monthly basis during the winter thinking it is good to "circulate the oil and warm it up." This practice actually does more harm than good. If you start your bike in the winter, then ride it for at least a 1/2 hour at highway speeds. Just puttering around town does not warm it up good, nor does it charge the battery adequately.

hintzir09
03-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. I changed it right before storage and am going to leave the oil in.

r11rs94
03-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. I changed it right before storage and am going to leave the oil in.

:thumb I've done it that way for years. Enjoy your ride.