PDA

View Full Version : Lower R1200R

GeliR12R
03-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know if i can lower this bike. looking at replacing rear spring assy. parts listing has 2 different. wife would like 1" or so to be more comfortable. already have low seat. any help would be great.

deilenberger
03-11-2009, 03:08 PM
It certainly can be lowered - but I wouldn't suggest doing it with just a spring, and both ends should be lowered equally or handling will be changed (in the case of lowering just the rear - it will feel very slow turning into corners.)

I lowered my R12R ~3/4" - with shorter shocks from Hyperpro (http://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-motorcycle-shocks.htm) - both front and rear are lowered equally. Just putting shorter springs on the existing shock will reduce the travel of the rear suspension making the bike uncomfortable to ride, and will mis-adjust your preload. Klaus at Hyperpro can get shocks made up shorter that keep your existing suspension travel, and match the spring rate and damping to your wife's weight.

GeliR12R
03-12-2009, 10:32 PM
yes thats i was talking about almost. at bikebandit.com they show 2 different shock/spring assy for the r12r. 894 for the rear assy and 371 for the front. but no mention of what the height difference is. i will check into your link. thank you

TONY2733
03-21-2009, 04:31 AM
We purchased a 2007R1200R Low seat for my wife, she 5'3" 130lbs.
Within two months we replaced the factory shocks with WORX low shocks spec'd to my wife's weight. drops it 1". A little trick my wifes uses is a good pair of Harley boots with 1/2" extended soles add by our local shoe repair shop.

Also we added the bar risers which move the bars back closer to her about 1".
We went to the MOA rally in WY. from So, CA. and she was as happy as can be.

When my wife is happy I am happy. Hope this helps, it seems like alot work but all it takes is money.