PDA

View Full Version : feed back on basic functionality of R1200RT

03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Does this bike start right up after sitting all night when temperatures are down to 30 degrees?

How about low speed riding ÔÇô does this bike surge at all?

Anybody have est. on gas mileage, with recommended octane fuel?
I canÔÇÖt figure out BMWÔÇÖs way of listing this information.

Does everyone pay list price for BMWÔÇÖs?

Right now I am on the fence with regards to upgrading my 1994 R1100RS.
And look to be enlightened by your real world experiences.

Been riding my BMW since 1994, but new to BMW MOA.

hlothery
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a 2005 R12RT.

Always starts right up, no problem (but it doesn't get very cold in Texas;) )

Never a surge, no matter what speed. Very comfortable and easy to maneuver at low speeds, even two-up.

I get 48-52MPG around town, depending on how flexible my right wrist has become. I average about 56 on the highway. I once did the Natchez Trace, two-up, at the speed limit of 50MPH in 5th gear, and got 62MPG. I tried regular gas, but got a knock. I always use premium now, which is what is recommended in the manual.

I paid less than list price.

Simply put, this is the finest road bike I have ever ridden. It is fast, stable, comfortable, and corners like a sportbike (OK, well, almost) It has all the amenities. Highly recommended.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

toddschaefer
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I purchased a 2007 R1200RT after owning a 2003 K1200LT and 2004 K1200GT. I like the R12RT due to the fact that its light compared to the other two motorcycles listed and it works very well riding two-up. My wife and I completed the Iron Butt 1000 mile ride last summer and the bike worked flawlessly.

I am considering selling the R12RT to get a R12GS. I'm very interested in some off-road riding.

azgman
03-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Does this bike start right up after sitting all night when temperatures are down to 30 degrees? YES, even if it is 0 degrees!

How about low speed riding – does this bike surge at all? Mine doesn't!

>91 octane, >40mpg

I can’t figure out BMW’s way of listing this information.

Does everyone pay list price for BMW’s? NO!!!!

I had a very nice 2003 R1150RT and went to a 2007 R1200RT... much better motor and transmission!

akbeemer
03-10-2009, 05:26 PM
My answers in BLUE

Does this bike start right up after sitting all night when temperatures are down to 30 degrees? Are there temps above 30? I've never had a problem in many starts below 30.

How about low speed riding ÔÇô does this bike surge at all? Not in my experience.

Anybody have est. on gas mileage, with recommended octane fuel? Mid 40s around town, low 50s on the road loaded (the bike, not me).

Does everyone pay list price for BMWÔÇÖs? I think so. There is not a lot of margin in the bikes. Year old bikes still on the showroom floor sometimes go down in price a bit.

And look to be enlightened by your real world experiences. What Hugh said above about the RT. It is the cat's pajamas.

fracture
03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
My 2008 R1200RT has never had starting problems on a 30 degree morning.

Max fuel mileage has been 48 mpg on the freeway, 42-45 in town.

It surges below 2K rpm, when creeping along in a jam or going thru a parking lot. The dealer says this is normal. Other "modern" bikes I have ridden do this as well.

03-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Mine's an '07. Doesn't surge, starts right up even below 30d F. I get 48 mph w/ combo riding (in town & two lanes). I paid full price, asked for military discount but they wouldn"t bite.

It's a real nice bike. It's my first.

Get one.
:brad

dmilan
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Does this bike start right up after sitting all night when temperatures are down to 30 degrees?

If there's a chance for ice, I don't ride. That being said, I'm sure it would start just fine.

God... don't even remind me of my '02R1150RT. Miserable surger.
I've owned 3 R12s now. 2 GS and my current wife the RT.
No significant surging

Mid 40s is easily doable, even in mixed riding.

Not me. 3 New purchases had incentives and or were demos. Some folks have the bucks, if you do, go for it. We could use the stimulis

For example there is an '07 GT w-4,500 miles and some extras, available now at K-bikes for $13,500 / Not that I'd want another , Had an '08GT for a short while, didn't like it. That bike had 3 owners before it hit 2,000 miles.

Good luck
Ride safe
'05RT / cruise, abs, power screen, 7 gallon tank, heated grips & seat.... ahhhh

03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
i have a 07 rt
i get 42-48mpg but i ride it like my gsx-r 750
it starts a little hard at 20 degrees in wis but starts
i bought a 07 in 08 and got it way below list
this is a great bike

sundaeman
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Got a 2006..Had some startup troubles around 14 degrees once. Turned out to be a water in the fuel line issue.

Low speeds, no surge.

I know those who have and haven't paid full list.

Mileage is generally low 40s for me, lot's of stop and go. High 40s on the highway, not quite so good on the track :burnout

It's generally the highlight of my work day.

lvaliska
03-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Paid full price, no regrets, starts well in cold weather, ( heated grips and Gerbing vest) I get between 48 and 58 mpg. (your mileage may vary), not so much surging as twitchy throttle control at slow speeds. Not a big problem.

Artiee
03-11-2009, 02:23 AM

I've had it sit overnight during nightshifts when the temperatures where down into the upper teens. It's always fired right up when departing in the morning. (IMO this would be more a battery issue than an RT issure.... in other words, take care of your battery)

The only low speed surging problems I've experienced resulted from less than smooth coordination of clutch and throttle (operator error)

I run the recommend octane (premium). During summer (warm weather) I average between 50-55 mpg depending on traffic. During winter (cold weather) the mpg drops to around 45-50 mpg. On one road trip (two up) I achieved 59 mpg for one leg of the trip.

I bought mine for less than list price. I have a 2005 RT which I bought in April of 2006. It was the dealers last 2005 RT and was also the one they used for demo rides -- hence I received a discount of about 10%.

podsobinski
03-11-2009, 02:51 AM
I had an '06 RT and it was absolutely perfect. The options where worth the money. Unbelievable cruise control, radio (put through an AutoCom) was great, the CD player I could have done without, and the ESA really did work. With the windsheild about mid height, my wife and bags loaded up doing highway speeds we would get 55 mpg. By myself and with the guys going too fast maybe 45 mpg.
Spent one vacation at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and left in 16 degree weather and no problem with starting at all. I have an 08 GSA and do miss the gas mileage and the electric cruise. I am 60 and my wife is 56 and last summer did a 706 mile day, almost no problem. That will probably never be matched again.
Nothing but good things about that model, six BMW's and too many other bikes to remember, been riding since I was 14.

SteveTech
03-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Never had troubles starting.

Never had surging issues or low speed issues. (I got rid of my VFR because of this)

I get between 42 and 46 mpg.

I bought an 06 used, it had 6000miles on it and was one year old, I got a smoking deal from a private sale.

My bike has ESA which I probably would not have got if I had ordered the bike but it is one of the things I love about it now! I am always switching between solo and two up riding so it comes in very useful. I use sport in the dry and soften up the damping to normal in the wet.

Before I bought this one I used to switch my motorcycles every year and have tried many different makes.
I am going to keep this one for a long time!!
The longer the journey the more I love this motorcycle.

03-11-2009, 05:36 AM
- Thanks Hugh for your .02 worth; and I think list price is all my local dealer will be offering me.
- Hats off to Mr. Iron Butt and the Misses. I topped out at 560 miles for one day; but then again I donÔÇÖt ride late into the evening. I like to squeeze in some exercise on my trips before supper.
- Sorry MOA 107139 I wonÔÇÖt be joining you because IÔÇÖll be on my snowmobile at 0 degrees.
- Kevin in the Greater Fairbanks, Metroplex ÔÇô is that Alaska? If so are you using a stock BMW battery?
- DMilan ThatÔÇÖs what IÔÇÖm talking about. The 2009 R1200RT is the only bike on my list, but I hated to spend over 20 grand and still have to deal with the annoying surges and hard starting.
- 146801 My local dealer only has one R12RT on the showroom floor and itÔÇÖs a 2009 so I donÔÇÖt think a carry over bike is in my future.
- Artiee I too am on the night shift and ride (my motorcycle) to work. Trickle charging all the batteries IÔÇÖve ever use over my bikes 15 years of service never really help me when the temp were in the 20ÔÇÖs. I just took my 15 min coffee break idling my bike to solve asking for jump starts.
- Podsobinski You remind me of my dad and mom, with their buddies riding back in the 1950s when bikers were considered trouble makers. Wait a minute, thinking of some of the motorcycle stories hes told me over the years maybe.?
- Fracture, Rich W, Sundaeman and Ivaliska thank you all for contributing to my new bike research !!!! Safe and happy riding to all of you. Michael

alzyck
03-12-2009, 01:05 AM
I have a 2008 R12RT with 10K miles. My answers are inline.

Does this bike start right up after sitting all night when temperatures are down to 30 degrees? Below 45F, mine starts harder. When it's cold, I twist the throttle just a bit and I have to keep on the starter button a little longer, but it always starts.

How about low speed riding ÔÇô does this bike surge at all? No surging, but like most fuel injected bikes, there's a dead spot as you roll off the throttle. I see it about 2,500 RPM.

I canÔÇÖt figure out BMWÔÇÖs way of listing this information. Runs best on Premium. My mileage varies. One up, fully loaded with a seat bag, heading into a strong headwind I get between 38 to 40 MPG. Touring at 8,000 feet altitude, I can get 52 MPG. Cruising around town I get about 46 MPG.

Does everyone pay list price for BMWÔÇÖs?From what I've seen, you'll pay list less any factory rebates. You may be able to package other things into the sale like free 600 mile service and deep discounts on repair manuals and riding gear.

beemergirl
03-12-2009, 03:05 AM
If your dealer really wants list then get him to throw in a trunk and/or tankbag or whatever accessories you're looking at. Maybe the 600 mile service. Sometimes they'll deal that way.

03-12-2009, 04:46 AM
- Stevetech ThatÔÇÖs exactly what I am hoping for, a good running bike to keep around for many years. I would stick with my R1100RS ( faults as they are ) but my interests are leaning towards longer rides / touring; since retirement is 3 years away ( hope I make that ) and I donÔÇÖt know if a new BMW will be doable then.
- Alzyck Thank you for relaying your R12RT experience with me, I will be thinking about them long and hard before I buy.
- Beemergirl I have not completed looking at accessories or even bike options at this point; but if I do go with this bike IÔÇÖll remember the accessory discounts are a must and I like the 600 mile service ÔÇô thatÔÇÖs always a surprising chunk of change.
Thank you people! Michael

greenwald
03-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I have a 2005 R12RT.

Always starts right up, no problem (but it doesn't get very cold in Texas;) )

Never a surge, no matter what speed. Very comfortable and easy to maneuver at low speeds, even two-up.

I get 48-52MPG around town, depending on how flexible my right wrist has become. I average about 56 on the highway. I once did the Natchez Trace, two-up, at the speed limit of 50MPH in 5th gear, and got 62MPG. I tried regular gas, but got a knock. I always use premium now, which is what is recommended in the manual.

Simply put, this is the finest road bike I have ever ridden. It is fast, stable, comfortable, and corners like a sportbike (OK, well, almost) It has all the amenities. Highly recommended.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

What Hugh said....verbatum.

Well.......except the part about it "not getting very cold." Windchill of -6 right now. Not planning on riding anything other than the Dodge Ram today.

As for the R1200RT....try it, you'll like it!

ctyankee
03-13-2009, 01:19 AM

Yup.

How about low speed riding – does this bike surge at all?

Nope

I can’t figure out BMW’s way of listing this information.

I get 45-55 depending on conditions. Always running the good stuff...

Does everyone pay list price for BMW’s?

I didn't pay full price for my 2005. But I bought in March of 2006 and there were three left at the dealer and they were about to sell their BMW dealership rights. Managed a top box as part of the deal too.

RT....good:german

Tom K.
03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I once had a slow starting problem on a cold morning at 5,000 feet altitude on the BRP. It took a tad longer to crank and starting was aided by giving it a bit of throttle - but this was with 20w50 oil. 10w40 works much better if you'll be riding in colder weather.

No surging. As the flywheel seems lighter than earlier models, you'll notice on/off throttle below 3,500 but you'll learn to do it smoothly.

My overall gas mileage (93 octane) is 50 mpg. High is 56, low is 44.

Paid slightly below list in late 2005 for an ordered 2006, but got a decent trade on a 16 year old GoldWing.

And on my last trip, I decided to save time coming home (since it was raining) by taking an interstate instead of the usual back roads. I've never felt so secure on a bike for 200 miles @ 80 mph in a moderate rain - the RT gives the rider the impression it will do anything asked of it (within reason).
Tom

motorups
03-14-2009, 02:40 AM
My input may not be of much help since I just picked up a used r12rt 05 model and have not put many miles on it yet (had 20k when I got it) and I put less then 2k more since then. Too many other rides and work you know.

In no set order, other then the numbering, I offer the following...
1. stock seat (not a clue if I have the tall or short seat), it is sloped so that makes it easier to reach the ground (i'm 5"10" with 30" inseam). seat seems to have soft foam ok for short rides.

2. bike also has Sargent seat (wider and more suppose due to harder yet comfortable foam), also makes it harder to be flat footer though that is not even possible for me with the stock seat (one foot yes, other a bit).

3. highway pegs...old school bmw rider here, r75/5. the bmw jug screw-in highway pegs work and are better then nothing but still not a perfect fit for the legs.

4. also have the esa (suspension adjustment), would skip it if a high seat is an issue for you since I read that it bumps it up about an inch and a stock r12rt is too darn tall to begin with in my book.

5. engine, feels like an opposed twin to me and is nice. not certain what high speed it likes to travel though 75 there about feels good, less so 80, at least to me...maybe 85 plus is smoother again.

6. tank bag/bag mount. smart and dumb idea in my book. not great looking without it and if you leave the bike you have to take it with you to be save. bag does not have expansion zipped areas to speak of (it does but not large) plus none/zip side pockets....and they call that a tank bag? yes I know, it is a bmw thus said the lord. if you have a trunk you can at least put it in there.

7. saw and considered the large 47L trunk but my god, yes again it says bmw, almost $900 installed is insane to me so for sure get it cheap as part of the deal if you can else the smaller size trunk which to me looks better. I settled for a givi 52L trunk instead.

8. side bags color matched look nice but I'm old school and would prefer the flat mat black plastic finish to lessen scuff marks.

all in all a nice ride, same opposed twin engine you know and love, not certain of any surge issues but it does ride nicely I feel. stock windshield does not do that good a job. radio would be nice but mine did not have it.

good luck, think you would be happy with one.

DXMENON
04-06-2009, 12:33 AM
I bought my 06 RT on Ebay last Nov with 11K miles. Got a great deal. The best part of the deal was that I got a ton of upgrades. 49L top case, intercom system, tank bag, suburban pegs, rider backrest, motolights, etc.

I would get a used one with few miles. You'll save thousands..... I did. The only thing I really need now is a better windshiled and a better seat. I am getting the Russell seat and a Calsci windshield. The reason I went preowned is so I can have the extras and afford my favorite add-ons.

It's a great bike. I love riding it. Can't go wrong with it.

empeg9000
04-06-2009, 03:10 AM

I have an 07 RT. I have been camping on mine into the 20s. It has always started on the first try.

I've never had any surging.

I get about 42-49 but I ride it really hard and I am heavy on the throttle.

I only got a few hundred off of list. Every time I asked for a discount, if they said no I would ask for the accessory of the equal value know it would cost them as much as the discount I asked for. I got the top case, BMW Zumo, and tank bag out of them plus a $400 off list. i then sold the BMW Zumo and bought a 550 Zumo and had some money left over.

I love the RT!