PDA

View Full Version : I thought I knew my bike...

caddybama
03-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Purchased my 2005 R1200GS in June of 2006 (dealer demo) with just over 1000 miles. With over 14,000 miles I was surprised to discover that I had missed that the bike has auto cancelling turn signals!! Did I just miss this in the owner's manual or what? Now I am trying to understand just how this system works. Any insight would be appreciated. It seems to be speed controlled and not active when the bike is sitting still, but I am still curious on just how this works.

modocrider
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
On my 08 12RT this is how the self canceling signals work. Would think it would be the same on yours.
After driving for approx. ten seconds or after covering a distance of approx. 650 ft. the turn indicators are automatically switched off.
This is taken from the owners manual. Hope this answers your question.
Bob

rmeisen
03-07-2009, 10:32 PM
On my 07, it is only distance that turns them off, you can sit stopped for a traffic light and they will continue to blink. I think mine says 220 meters or something like that.. Wish I could change that to allow me to turn them off.. kinda like linked brakes, I still use both, keeping the habit incase I ride another bike, still cancel the turn signals too..

modocrider
03-07-2009, 10:52 PM
On my 07, it is only distance that turns them off, you can sit stopped for a traffic light and they will continue to blink. I think mine says 220 meters or something like that.. Wish I could change that to allow me to turn them off.. kinda like linked brakes, I still use both, keeping the habit incase I ride another bike, still cancel the turn signals too..

I probably wasn't real clear when I said ten seconds. The bike has to be moving, so going 5mph the signals will turn off before reaching 650 ft.. It's one of those whichever comes first deals. Sorry for the confusion.

marcopolo
03-07-2009, 10:52 PM

No; it's time or distance, but you must be riding, not stopped at a light etc.

liv2ryd
03-08-2009, 05:44 AM
I have an '05 GS also, and my signals are self-cancelling. They are also self-thinking, as there does not seem to be any consistency as to time or distance and when they cancel. Usually just press the cancel button, then I'm sure they're off! :dunno

marchyman
03-08-2009, 06:16 AM
No; it's time or distance, but you must be riding, not stopped at a light etc.

You're sure it's time based? :ear I haven't done any experimentation. The "200 meters" thereabouts argument seems to fit what I see on my bike, though.

Maybe the next time I'm really bored I'll lay out a course and see if the blinkers go off at the same spot as I vary speeds. :D

// marc

marcopolo
03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
You're sure it's time based? :ear I haven't done any experimentation. The "200 meters" thereabouts argument seems to fit what I see on my bike, though.// marc

I'm sure (assuming I believe what BMW puts in its owners manuals). I'll leave it up to you to decide if that's a reasonable conclusion to reach. :).

Polarbear
03-08-2009, 10:05 PM
GSA1200 and the self cancel signals are USELESS in cities, where they do not cut off "soon enough" after a turn. Folks think you're still turning for half a city block if you do not cancel them manually. 14 blinks is what mine does at freeway speed, every time. I still like them, even with a few in town isues:). Randy:usa

glurkus
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I think the self canceling is there if you forget to turn them off.

marcopolo
03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I think the self canceling is there if you forget to turn them off.

Bingo. You win the prize. I consider them a failsafe mechanism in case I have a brain fart.

RINTY
03-09-2009, 05:26 PM
The first time I went touring on my R 1150 RS, I rode from Calgary to Lethbridge in rain, before it occured to me that the bike had heated grips....:scratch

The_Veg
03-10-2009, 01:56 AM
I have heard that dealers can adjust the time/distance of the cancelling (one of those things that requires that a computer talk to the bike). Anybody know if this is true?

deilenberger
03-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I have heard that dealers can adjust the time/distance of the cancelling (one of those things that requires that a computer talk to the bike). Anybody know if this is true?
Untrue.

Polarbear
03-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Brain fart, an OLD thing, yes? I guess we really need self turn signal minders, as we are an old riders club and these kind of gadgets are required for us...I'm gonna need a self bailer to get me off my GSA as its so tall and my age is approaching "creaking bones" age! randy:violin :usa