PDA

View Full Version : Suspension for 1200GS

Londoner
03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm looking to purchase a 2008 or 2009GS; I own a 2005GS with Wilbers fully adjustable suspension that is for sale.
My question is: has anyone used the new factory ESA and either Ohlins or Wilbers on different bikes? I would appreciate a comparison by anyone who has direct knowledge. I like the Wilbers, but the ESA is an $800 option as opposed to either Ohlins or Wilbers $1200 plus cost. The on the fly use is very attractive with the ESA.
Thanks,
Robert

Spring is teasing us here, I'm ready to ride.

gfspencer
03-04-2009, 02:00 AM
I have ESA on my R1200GS and Ohlins on my Ducati. But I don't think that's what you were talking about. :dunno The ESA is really nice. It's great to change suspension on the fly as you move from the super slabs to the back roads.

ricoshay
03-04-2009, 02:42 AM
[QUOTE=rdferris;429744]I'm looking to purchase a 2008 or 2009GS; I own a 2005GS with Wilbers fully adjustable suspension that is for sale.
My question is: has anyone used the new factory ESA and either Ohlins or Wilbers on different bikes? I would appreciate a comparison by anyone who has direct knowledge. I like the Wilbers, but the ESA is an $800 option as opposed to either Ohlins or Wilbers $1200 plus cost. The on the fly use is very attractive with the ESA.QUOTE]

Stock BMW shocks are really crap. You need to keep that in mind, whether they are ESA or not.

cboulden
03-04-2009, 03:26 AM
id have to agree with ricoshay, the stock shocks are still showa and will only hold up for 2-10k mile and are not rebuildable,{according to my local dealers}, i too liked the esa benefits but when i considered the short life span of the factory shocks and the fact that as far as i know no manufacturer makes a esa type replacement shock i could not justify the price and decided to just stay with stock suspension and replace with ohlins when time came,

Londoner
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks to all for the info about ESA versus Ohlins or Wilbers.
I will say, I like the Wilbers and I cannot remember who, but someone said Wilbers was working on a rebuildable replacement EAS shocks. It might have been Max BMW in NH.
Again thanks, I keep doing my research.
Robert