PDA

View Full Version : T-25 Torque Settings

rooster67
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
New BMW MOA member... Recently purchased 2009 R1200RT.... Had running in service last week... Found all 4 T-25 bolts on windshield loose when I returned home--2 were so loose I could turn them with my thumb.... Roughly 50% of body panel T-25 bolts were loose.... Discussed with BMW Service Dept & they indicated they just "snug them down" & do not tighten to a specific torque.... Maybe someone out there more mechanically inclined than me can tell me if it is OK to "snug them down" or what is the correct torque setting.

Semper_Fi
03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I have removed my windshield numerous times and just snug them down - however that being said I will see if I can find you an actual torque spec

Congrats on the new ride!

marchyman
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Maybe someone out there more mechanically inclined than me can tell me if it is OK to "snug them down" or what is the correct torque setting.

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/torque.html says the "Windscreen to windscreen holder, M5 x 12" screws are torqued to 2 Nm. That number was taken from 2005 specs. Don't know if it's changed. I don't have a torque wrench that will go that low. Snug is fine.

// marc

gfountain
03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I have had the windshield and fairing pieces off my '05 RT numerous times. I have lost two screws over the past few years but coincidentally only after just having service work done at the dealer. I am certain they left the screws loose. I don't tighten to a specific torque but I do more than just snug them down. My description would be "tighten very securely". Those screws are prevalent all over the bike so I have added a couple to my tool kit just in case.

PGlaves
03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Tight with a screwdriver type driver. Not a lot of tug on a ratchet style driver. 17 inch pounds (2 nm) isn't a lot of force.

alanrd
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I just replaced my stock screen with a CEE Bailey. They had a note that over tightening could crack the shield.
I think like Paul says, use a screwdriver type handle.

reimerdavid
03-03-2009, 10:39 PM
The real question is what did the dealer check "Or didn't" while your bike was in their care ???

EXPATRIATED
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
The real question is what did the dealer check "Or didn't" while your bike was in their care ???

Why would they take the windshield off on the 600 mi service would be my question? Or were the bolts loose when the bike was brought in?

reimerdavid
03-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Ity was my understanding that the dealer was suppose to give the bike a good look-over for lose fasteners and such at 600 miles.

rooster67
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. This is my first BMW ride, not my first ride, & I have a lot to learn.

And, yes, part of the running in service, so I was told, was to check ALL fasteners. I'm not sure they were tight when I purchased it a month ago----guess my pre-ride check needs some improvement.

Thanks again for your help.