PDA

View Full Version : Wiring an autocom??

mIrvin
03-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I am preparing to install a Autocom in my 2005 R1200GS and am not sure the best way to do the power, I have thought about just hot-wiring to the battery with a fuse and an on-off switch with a power on light, or just plugging in to the bikes powerpoint, or?
I wired the auto com in my wifes F650gs to the tailight, is that possible with the 12gs with the can-bus system?:
I would appreciate any feedback Thanks :scratch :scratch mike..

gfountain
03-03-2009, 04:55 AM
I installed a Tourtech CANbus Helper on my '05 RT. I tapped into the running lights for the switched power. It has come in handy. As you add farkles you will already have additional connection points available. I currently have a radar detector and an Autocom dongle powered through the CANbus Helper in addition to the base Autocom Pro 7. I know there are a couple other switched power devices out there. My dealer stocked the Tourtech product so it was readily available when I was doing the install.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=044-0450

Semper_Fi
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
i used a centech, also connected an AP1 relay kit from Centech.

This si triggered off the bike and then allows to energize the centech.

Mounted next to the top mounting bold of the rear shock

mIrvin
03-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks gfountain and Semper Fi for your input. It looks like the TPS Canbus helper is the way I want to go, its a pretty reasonable price, Ive thought about the AP1 but the price has me thinking twice about that..
I cant wait for spring.. Mike

marcopolo
03-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks gfountain and Semper Fi for your input. It looks like the TPS Canbus helper is the way I want to go, its a pretty reasonable price, Ive thought about the AP1 but the price has me thinking twice about that..
I cant wait for spring.. Mike

My R12RT has a second accessory socket in the rear. My Autocom is powered from there (with no problems whatsoever).