PDA

View Full Version : Another dealer frustration thread

hlothery
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Took my RT in for the 30K service, and to have an RT/P cooling fan installed on the oil cooler. Cooling fan is great, service was done. However, after I got the bike back I would occasionally hear a loud rattle when starting off in 1st gear. Finally was able to determine that the rattle was the plastic piece beside the tank, on the clutch side of the bike. They left off (or didn't tighten so it fell out) the plastic twist fastener on the front of that piece (the only plastic fastener on the tupperware of an RT). I went back to the dealer, and no one knew what I was talking about. I tried to show them where it was on an RT in the showroom, but finally had to log on to the forum, go to the Hexhead maintenance subthread, and show them a picture of it. However, even after this, they could not find it on the schematics so that they could order a new one. It is currently being held down by a wire tie (which is working quite well, BTW). Any thoughts, or does anyone have a part number?:banghead

akbeemer
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Hugh, I had a similar problem trying to get my dealer to order one of the speed nuts for the plastic. The part number kept coming up as N/A. I emailed Max BMW (address is on their website) and they emailed me the answer in about 15 minutes. If you order from them you'll have it nearly as fast as you will from your local guy.

hlothery
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
thanks, I'll give it a try. :thumb

glurkus
03-07-2009, 01:45 AM
I had the exact problem happen to me after my 6000 service at the dealer. I never made it out of the parking lot when I noticed the rattle and went right back to the service manager. They had to take the fastner off a new bike and put it on mine. The mechanic said it was a common problem to lose that fastner and the service manager said he was trying to order replacements.

cjack
03-07-2009, 04:14 AM
thanks, I'll give it a try. :thumb

So what was the outcome. Was it 51 71 1 916 199 ?

PGlaves
03-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I've had the same problem on the tail-piece that covers the pillion portion of the seat on Voni's R1100S - despite my most careful effort to make sure the fastener was on properly and tight. So maybe the guy was careless - and maybe not. In my case I just had to get a new fastener - no big deal.

cjack
03-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I've had the same problem on the tail-piece that covers the pillion portion of the seat on Voni's R1100S - despite my most careful effort to make sure the fastener was on properly and tight. So maybe the guy was careless - and maybe not. In my case I just had to get a new fastener - no big deal.

There were two versions of that twist lock, the early ones were not so good. Then they came out with the new ones after the first year for the S. They replaced both parts, in the seat and the plug.
You probably have the new ones but just FYI.

hlothery
03-09-2009, 03:45 PM
So what was the outcome. Was it 51 71 1 916 199 ?

I found that part on Max BMW website, by looking at the schematics the BMW Dealer was using. Funny that they knew nothing of the part, and could not find it. Thanks for the help. :thumb