PDA

View Full Version : R1200RT Music

gkirkl
03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
New to BMW MOA with my 1st BMW: '09 R1200RT. I would love to hear what others have done for music (I did not purchase the factory radio). Have considered a gps with XM and Blue Tooth capability and then a blue tooth helmet, but it seems kind of a waste not to use the speakers in the dash when just cruising.

Any thoughts?

Also, this is a great forum. Very respectful unlike my old bike forum (you know those guys from WI).

Kirk

jimfastcar
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Might be wrong, but think no speakers behind grille if radio or CD player not installed.
That aside, I keep it simple - good quality earbuds (Etymotic) connected to iPod, iPod kepy inside poket jacket. Excellet sound, set at level I can still hear road noises.

dockeithdc
03-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Likewise with the ipod plugged into a cardo scala rider intercom system. A little light on the base but very easy to use, and multi functional. The open radio bay on the RT works nice for a garage door opener and a catch-all for small travel goodies.

03-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Music? There's a 1200cc orchestra beneath you :groovy

gfountain
03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I have an '05 RT with the factory installed radio. Just wanted to let you know the speakers built into the dash don't provide good sound above 40-50 mph. At highway speeds there useless. If you don't have the radio I don't think you have speakers so don't waste any money buying them.

I installed an Autocom system on my bike. I routed the factory radio/CD player along with a radar detector, GPS, FRS radio and bluetooth linked phone into the Autocom system and use the Autocom speakers in my helmet. It is a great system and I have been very happy with the Autocom Pro 7 unit I bought a few years ago.

I bought one of the first '05 RT's that came into the country. It was a demo unit that BMW Motorrad used to intro the bike to dealers. They auctioned the bike off after the demo in Southern California. It had all the bells and whistles including the radio. I don't think I would have purchased the radio had it not been part of the demo package. Having said that I do like the factroy controls. It is very easy to turn on and off, switch between AM, FM and CD while riding and adjust volume.

I think the suggestion regarding an I-Pod and ear buds makes sense for a simple way to get music.

Semper_Fi
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Kirk - welcome aboard.

My bike (08) does not have the factory radio and did not come with speakers.

What you see is a dash cover that would have protected/covered the speakers.

I went the GPS (Zumo 550) with XM anternna route.

The Zumo also has a built in mp3 player.

This is all connected to my helmet via a Super Pro AVI Autocom unit.

This set up works very well for me.

I have my blue tooth phone paired to the gps as well

Enjoy your new ride

jaherbst
03-02-2009, 02:29 AM
GPS 550 ZUMO--MP3 loaded (internal) Big Ear moulded earplugs plugged directly into ZUMO. Works great, super sound. Volume on ZUMO screen. Big Ear moulds are expensive ($299) but worth it. Blocks out road and engine noise and produces perfect audio. Forgot to mention XM radio, Trafic , and WX with the add on antennae.

Jack

CELTICUS
03-03-2009, 10:21 AM
My Shure EC2s serve me well and to my ears sound better than the Etymotic. They block out road noise but I can still hear to drive. You can find them for less than $100. I found mine for $50 on eBay. I listen to audio books ripped to the Ipod.

Mark

RSPENNACHIO
03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I bought a pair of ear buds from Target ($10-$15) They sound as good as the orginal IPOD buds which keep falling out. SOUTHEAST Michigan BMW sold me a do-it-yourself ear plug mold kit ($28). I followed the directions when mixing up the stuff and molded it around the new ear buds. After 60 minutes of cure time I removed the buds from the new mold and glued them together so they wouldn't seperate. They work great!!

I don't have a GPS but I think I want a Zumo with XM. What happens when you are listeing to music and the GPS gives you a voice promt for directions? Does one funcion cancel out the other? Or does the voice promt just blend in with the music?

Semper_Fi
03-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't have a GPS but I think I want a Zumo with XM. What happens when you are listeing to music and the GPS gives you a voice promt for directions? Does one funcion cancel out the other? Or does the voice promt just blend in with the music?

The priority is the GPS if you are navigating a route.

When an action needs to be taken the music is muted and the instructions called out.

If you are not following a route the music is on all the time.

If you have a bt phone connected and you get a call it will do the same thing to the music and will half volume the GPS if you are navigating (IIRC)

RSPENNACHIO
03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I need a Zumo.

LONERANGER
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
I have an 08 RT with factory radio and CD. They both work fine and the volume adjust itself as your speed increases. I can here both the radio and CD at highway speeds with my helmet on quite well.

WestHautianPlen
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
GPS 550 ZUMO--MP3 loaded (internal) Big Ear moulded earplugs plugged directly into ZUMO. Works great, super sound. Volume on ZUMO screen. Big Ear moulds are expensive ($299) but worth it. Blocks out road and engine noise and produces perfect audio. Forgot to mention XM radio, Trafic , and WX with the add on antennae.

Jack

+ Same set up and I could not ask for more..

marcopolo
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
My RT has the BMW radio/CD player, but 95% of the time when I want music, I use my iPod Nano connected to my Autocom and, in turn, to my in-ear speakers (I removed the standard Autocom speakers from my helmet). My in-ear speakers also function as noise-reducing ear plugs. It works well.

gvpurvis
03-04-2009, 04:54 AM
I also use a Zumo 550 matched to my bluetooth.A set of sony,or JBL ear pods and everything works great.I can hear the music(xm) and talk on the phone(although usually I just punch ignore on the zumo screen.Going to try a Nolan 103 and see if it works any better.

Vic Purvis
07RT
Maylene,Al:wave

gkirkl
03-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks all for the advice! I have decided to go with the Zumo and get XM Satellite. Will probably run wired for a while using ear buds but may eventually go with bluetooth.

Thanks again and Bob you are absolutely right; there is no real need for music with this bike under me. I just rolled 500 miles on today and am REALLY glad I bought the RT. 1st new bike with NO buyers remorse.

Kirk