PDA

View Full Version : I could just kill her! - Tip Over

TraderRob
02-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I just had my first (and hopefully last) tip over on my 2007 R1200RT. I was backing out of my garage and hit my daughter's scooter that she left in the driveway, despite my constant "instruction" to always pick it up. If you are a parent, you know how frustrating it can be . .

Anyway, I lost my footing & the bike tipped over. This is my first Beemer and first boxer. After lurking here for quite some time, I learned that one of the first things I needed was valve covers for protection for the inevitable tip over. I, of course, put them on my list of things to do - where they still sit - and not on my bike. So now I have some valve cover damage - not too bad, but clearly noticeable. My break away mirror also broke away while riding down the street about 15 minutes after my tip over event. Recovered, luckily.

So here are my questions: 1) How much is it to fix or replace the valve covers? My recollection was prohibitively so, or at least not economical. 2) Is there anything I can use to make the damage look better - metal polish or rubbing compound or something? 3) Do I need to do anything to make sure the mirror stays on now that it has broken away. I just put it back on & it seems secure, although not as secure as the other mirror. 4) Finally, do you have any recommendation for a good set of valve covers or engine bars (probably both - belts & suspenders from now on)? Touratech?

Thanks in advance. BTW, I have calmed down now and will not kill my daughter. I figure it is just like getting that first ding in your car - regrettable, but inevitable. I just have avoided it for so long (2 years) that it seems much worse.

- Rob

r11rs94
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I just had my first (and hopefully last) tip over on my 2007 R1200RT. I was backing out of my garage and hit my daughter's scooter that she left in the driveway, despite my constant "instruction" to always pick it up. If you are a parent, you know how frustrating it can be . .

Anyway, I lost my footing & the bike tipped over. This is my first Beemer and first boxer. After lurking here for quite some time, I learned that one of the first things I needed was valve covers for protection for the inevitable tip over. I, of course, put them on my list of things to do - where they still sit - and not on my bike. So now I have some valve cover damage - not too bad, but clearly noticeable. My break away mirror also broke away while riding down the street about 15 minutes after my tip over event. Recovered, luckily.

So here are my questions: 1) How much is it to fix or replace the valve covers? My recollection was prohibitively so, or at least not economical. 2) Is there anything I can use to make the damage look better - metal polish or rubbing compound or something? 3) Do I need to do anything to make sure the mirror stays on now that it has broken away. I just put it back on & it seems secure, although not as secure as the other mirror. 4) Finally, do you have any recommendation for a good set of valve covers or engine bars (probably both - belts & suspenders from now on)? Touratech?

Thanks in advance. BTW, I have calmed down now and will not kill my daughter. I figure it is just like getting that first ding in your car - regrettable, but inevitable. I just have avoided it for so long (2 years) that it seems much worse.

- Rob

Welcome aboard..That's one of the more interesting first treads I have read. Don't know if this will help. I saw it on www.ascycles.com If not I have seen them chromed. Or you may have to bite the bullit and purchase new heads. Good luck...

bluegrasspicker
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM

- Rob

Sorry but...Your fault not hers.

It could have been her standing in the driveway...
You don't know how lucky you are.

CELTICUS
02-28-2009, 10:38 PM

What?? How is it his fault? Not hers.

Mark

widebmw
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Unless she made a left turn in front of him it was his fault for not looking where he was going, forward or reverse.
Now how much is it going to cost to repair the scooter.

Semper_Fi
02-28-2009, 11:03 PM
New covers are about $200 - i would not replace unless cracked or leaking

Mirrors are made to pop off and pop on - however mine are tethered - personal choice

As for cover up i dropped mine the second day i had it before putting on the covers.

I just put on the cover to cover it.

Now the BMW plastic one looks the best but is the most useless for anything else other than a 0 mph crash.

Other than Touratech you can look at Wunderlich and SW Moto.

03-01-2009, 12:30 AM
They do turn up on ebay from time to time. Usually when someone else is freshening up they're bike for sale. If it's not leaking I'd leave it alone untill a good deal turned up. This is one of those parts you'll buy new, and scuff up again, always on the same side... Murphy's law.

Polarbear
03-01-2009, 01:05 AM
If you know anybody around this kind of business, they can resurface, repaint them for less than 200$. Considerably less! Not powder coat, but painted well. Powder coat is more of course. You may even try it yourself if you are handy with Bondo and paint:). Randy....An Air Brush works wonders too, without having to paint the whole cover. An AirBrush in the right hands is artwork...:thumb

03-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm sort of new here myself, also a new rider since highschool.

TraderRob: Don't feel so bad. But don't blame the kids. On the very first ride, on the very first day that I owned my '07 RT, I attempted a left hand turn unknowingly in 2nd gear. You guessed it! Even tho I was able to dismount when I realized what I'd done, the left side of the engine just barely touched the road. This caused "notching" of the valve cover. I installed the OEM valve cover "protectors". To cover the damage. They look nice. Then I installed the engine protectors from Touratec. They look great and I'm much more confident of their protection! Luckily, I haven't had to test them.

Heck! One time it tipped over on top of me inthe garage! There I was, pinned under the Blue Mule. Should I yell for help? No, then the better half would would say "See? I knew this was a bad idea!" She doesn't ride. I squirmed out from under and pushed the critter back into her stall. So remember not to sweat the small stuff, because most of it is small stuff. :)

Ride Safe!
Rich

TraderRob
03-01-2009, 01:55 AM

Both our faults really. I should not have been in a hurry. And she should not have left that stupid scooter in the driveway. I am not biased of course :)

TraderRob
03-01-2009, 01:59 AM

She would have screamed really loud before I ran her over. Nothing like a few tire marks to give her some character anyway. It did wonders for Willie E Coyote!

- Trader

lensuz
03-01-2009, 03:07 AM
The lesson might be aimed at how little it takes to cause a tip-over. Extreme care, whether backing or advancing, is a lifestyle when one chooses to ride a motorcycle. Another action, following any tip-over, is to examine the motorcycle--in-depth--prior to resuming the ride.

Not to preachy, I hope. I have made similar mistakes...believe me.

bpdougd
03-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Welcome aboard..That's one of the more interesting first treads I have read. Don't know if this will help. I saw it on www.ascycles.com If not I have seen them chromed. Or you may have to bite the bullit and purchase new heads. Good luck...

I would recommend AGAINST these. I bought a pair and when the local BMW shop tried to install them, several of the standoffs (the doodads that the bolts go through to hold the plate away from the valve cover) cracked. Very poorly made, IMHO, and, for me, a complete waste of money.

YMMV, of course.

tommcgee
03-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Both our faults really. I should not have been in a hurry. And she should not have left that stupid scooter in the driveway. I am not biased of course :)

Nope. This was 100% your fault. Leaving the scooter in the driveway is a different problem.

StLouRider
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Last summer on my LT I was backing it into the garage when my cell phone rang.
Picked it up and my right foot slipped next thing I know the tip over wing is sitting on top of my right big toe..:banghead
I guess I could have blamed the guy that called me..
Just kidding, I went round & round with my three before they all left for college, still do from time to time..
Dropped the GS several times, it's lighter than the LT, but still a bear to pick up..
So far just scratches on the head covers, crash bars, and side boxes.. That's just adding character to a GS..:thumb
Ride safe!!
Jeff

greenwald
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM

- Rob

My R1200RT has flopped over twice....both times my fault, but that's another story for some other time.

What I would suggest is this: Would the cylinder head protectors from BMW ($110 a pair) cover enough of the cosmetic damage? That way, you're protected for the future and no need for expensive head replacement.

Secondly, get the cables that teather the mirrors to the bike in the event they 'break away.' They cost about $14 and can be found at most dealers, Bob's BMW on-line, or at a rally vendor.

Good Luck.

Kenn45
03-01-2009, 04:24 PM
My dealer's service manager recommended the protectors for the GS Adventure for my R1200RT. They look great and seem to be very sturdy. I have not had to test them yet. I am attaching a photo.

Paul_F
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I hate backing the bike out of the garage onto the street. What I do instead is walk it backwards, cranking hard to the left. This puts the bike horizontal across the top of the driveway, just in front of the garage. Then I suit up, fire up the bike, crank the bars to the right and ride out of the driveway. Now in all honesty, I did have the driveway ripped up, enlarged and cemented from two cars' width to three, to allow me to back the bike out in front of the two cars, leaving me an empty runway to exit. The driveway needed replacing anyway; I just needed a good excuse to have it done.

I used to be concerned about possibly dropping the bike on my return, parking and manually opening the garage door before walking it inside. That concern has been eliminated with the installation of a garage door opener. The door opens as I arrive and I ride right inside and park.

podsobinski
03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Check your insurance deduction. Amazing how well they cover things like that. Progressive/Dairyland/Sentry talked me into $200 deductible for like $7 more a year and the very next summer I hit a rock large enough to dent and split my rim on my '06 RT. The dealer found it damaged bad enough to be replaced and I chipped in the $200 deductible and fixed in a couple of weeks. Hardest part was getting the part from. . .you guessed it "Germany". First real use of insurance in 25 years and a very good experience.

gpodzo

TraderRob
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
My dealer's service manager recommended the protectors for the GS Adventure for my R1200RT. They look great and seem to be very sturdy. I have not had to test them yet. I am attaching a photo.

Are these still available? - all I seem to find is the plastic black ones. I assume that since they have BMW on the side that they are OEM parts. They would cover all the damage & look pretty sturdy. The tourtech ones don't quite match & may not cover all damage.

CELTICUS
03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I spoke in haste. It was your daughter's fault she didn't pick up the scooter but your fault that you ran over it.

Mark

mistercindy
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
If its only scratched leave it alone. When I had a parking lot drop of my dearly departed R1150R quite a few years ago I left the scratched cover on for three reasons: 1) because it was only scratched, 2) a scratch on a boxer's cover adds character to the bike, and most importantly 3) to remind myself every time I looked at it not to be an absent minded dumbass in the parking lot.:banghead

Nope. This was 100% your fault. Leaving the scooter in the driveway is a different problem.
Agreed. 100% your fault. Most of us have done something stupid resulting in a ding on our bikes. I'm not meaning to flame, give offense, or sound like a preacher, but part of getting over crap like that is to take responsibility for it and be more careful. See reason #3 above.:)

RandyW
03-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Are these still available? - all I seem to find is the plastic black ones. I assume that since they have BMW on the side that they are OEM parts. They would cover all the damage & look pretty sturdy. The tourtech ones don't quite match & may not cover all damage.

OEM on the 1200GSA and should be available at any BMW dealer. Being protection made for the GSA they are sort of in the "things that tend to get mangled" category. Bob's lists them in the repair parts section under Frame/Fairing parts. As for how sturdy they are it depends on the hit. They tend to work well for simple turn overs although I put the Adventure Designs aux bars on my GSA, which work really well (ask me how I know), and kept the stock head protectors to boot (belt and suspenders). The AD bars won't help you with an RT, designed for the GS, but the protectors should help out for any future turn overs. Hopefully you won't need them but I'm in the GS world, so tip overs only mean you are using the bike like it was designed.

MrGrocer
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM

- Rob

#1 Now learn the real secret of BMW boxer owners. Don't buy any cyclinder head protection until after you drop it the first time! Now you can go out and get nice cylinder head covers that will hide any damage!

Anyway, I ride a GS but I think the factory cylinder head covers are sweet! Pretty much full coverage.

Crash Bars; I like the touratech but you can save a buck and still get good ones, unfortunately I can't remember the name off the tip of my tounge. Check out Bob's BMW or A&S, I think they have a variety.

Rock on!

BlueStreak
03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Visibility when backing is always compromised, no matter the vehicle. Especially when beginning a ride when anxiety is high and one's mind is on getting to the street. I find it better to back my bike into the garage each evening when I have no more riding to do. Then, its all good in the morning when I am fresh and raring to go.

bluegrasspicker
03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
The bat turn ( lazy susan + Pizza pan ) lasted a couple of seasons...

http://www.bluegrasspicker.net/Shared%20Photos/Bat%20Turn%20Front.jpg

http://www.bluegrasspicker.net/Shared%20Photos/Bat%20Turn%20Back.jpg

lensuz
03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
So, what happens when you want to cook...never mind :scratch

TraderRob
03-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I agree that I was stupid for letting it tip over. I remember actually thinking as it was going over - "is this really happening?" Which is the same feeling I have had in other tip over & wrecks in 20+ years of riding (not too many - thank God).

It looks like there are no leaks, so I will just get something decent to cover the damage, maybe some engine bars, and definitely the mirror cables.

May have to get a new scooter too:)

- Trader

leadfoot
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I agree that I was stupid for letting it tip over. I remember actually thinking as it was going over - "is this really happening?" Which is the same feeling I have had in other tip over & wrecks in 20+ years of riding (not too many - thank God).

It looks like there are no leaks, so I will just get something decent to cover the damage, maybe some engine bars, and definitely the mirror cables.

- Trader

Hey Rob, don't feel bad. I am just getting over my first tip from Super Bowl weekend. Luckily I had Touratech crash bars, and only the bag took the hit. Then this morning I guess I did not latch my right bag real well. I rode over some tracks, then made a sweeping right for the interstate and was startled by a very loud scraping near the bike. It was the top of the open bag scraping on the asphalt as I leaned into the turn. The tracks popped the case open. Funny, as much as I love this bike, it does not bother me that much. I am not worried about looking good on the bike, just feeling good, and it feels so good that I do not think about it. I will just paint the bike white like I wanted next winter.

JANMILLER
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the club, now it's official, over and done, and you can quit worrying about it.
Get the guards, they will likely cover up most of what was done...

Like Gump said: ".. it happp...ennnzzzz"

JANMILLER
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
My R1200RT has flopped over twice....both times my fault, but that's another story for some other time.

What I would suggest is this: Would the cylinder head protectors from BMW ($110 a pair) cover enough of the cosmetic damage? That way, you're protected for the future and no need for expensive head replacement.

Secondly, get the cables that teather the mirrors to the bike in the event they 'break away.' They cost about $14 and can be found at most dealers, Bob's BMW on-line, or at a rally vendor.

Good Luck.

RE: Secondly, get the cables that teather the mirrors to the bike in the event they 'break away.' They cost about $14 and can be found at most dealers,

or, you can use a piece of string... free, and works just as well....

leadfoot
03-04-2009, 01:42 AM
RE: Secondly, get the cables that teather the mirrors to the bike in the event they 'break away.' They cost about $14 and can be found at most dealers,

or, you can use a piece of string... free, and works just as well....

Glad you added that Jan. I've been meaning to do it, but been putting it off....good insurance for next time. :thumb

caddybama
03-07-2009, 05:07 PM

- Rob

My wife says this is much better than dropping your bike on her car...which I did in the garage once. I told her that I thought there were plenty of you out there that would disagree since there was no damage to the bike and only a small ding in the fender of her car. Sorry to here of your mishap. The first ding I got on my 05 1200GS came last fall in Indy at the MotoGP when the wind blew our bike off the kickstand. Luckily with crash bars and no forward movement, there was only slight scrapes on the guard and nothing really visible at that. The RT's usually aren't this lucky as I saw a friend drop his at a standstill with slight damage. I have heard that scratchs add character if this helps any...

TURFMAN
03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I do not have time to read all posts.

Buy the BMW GS valve cover crash guards, silver, they look way better than anything on the market.

Buy some fine ss cable and make up your own mirror brake away cables at least the mirror wil not fall on the road.

Paint your painted parts, not a big job for a good bodyman.

As for your daugther, love her, hug her everyday, and thank God that it was not her on the scooter.

And last, trade the bike and get another new one, its just that easy.

ctyankee
03-13-2009, 01:10 AM

If you really want to teach her a lesson you should leave your RT on its side directly behind her scooter so she can't get it out of the garage...:brad

:lurk

RandyW
03-14-2009, 07:57 PM

- Trader

Wouldn't beat myself up too much, it could be worse, you could have done it while actually thinking that the bike might go over.

Last time I tipped the GSA over I had it parked on dirt, on a slope that went downhill away from the sidestand. The bike was basically vertical sitting there. I remember thinking this wasn't a good way to park it but had nowhere other than the slope. Loaded up the bags and was in the process of strapping on a duffle. Pushed down just a bit on the bag to lock the strap and over she went. As you say I really couldn't believe it was going over, even though I knew it might. Nice slow motion roll, kind of like watching a ship sink. I actually thought for a second about trying to stop it, glad my survival instinct stopped me. Bike almost went turtle, the wheels were actually above everything else when it stopped. Of course I was by myself so between the weight of the bike and the slope I had a lot of fun getting it back up. Lession learned, don't park on a slope no matter what, and always listen to that little voice in your head.

bigskyrider
03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
You could get one of these for you and your daughter, no extended valve covers and tipping over is almost impossible.......:dance

RACEYDOG
03-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Unless I missed it, am I the only one that forgot to put the kickstand down in the driveway? I ordered my Touratech valve covers (black) and my Touratech crash bars that day. I also got the mirror cables. Luckily, my only damage was a bunch of little dings on the saddlebag that aren't even noticeable.

P.S. I read somewhere that there are some stainless steel fishing leaders that work just as well for mirror tethers.

Wunderlich makes stuff for the RT including crash bars. I like the stainless bars from Touratech better 'cause they don't rust. Here is the site for both:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8160735-736&Category_Code=R1200RT-P

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=047-0102&-session=touratech:470809AE07bdd3421ASKp3FA2438

RACEYDOG
03-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Or this:

BMW riders will sympathize with you since they have most likely done the same thing.

As for everyone else, just tell them that you laid it down doing 80 mph and the only damage was a few scratches on the valve cover. After all, it's made from high-tech, super-duper, space-age titaniumhydroflourocarboniumalloy composite. :scratch

mistercindy
03-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Like others have said: don't beat yourself up over it. My two slow motion drops:

Last time I tipped the GSA over I had it parked on dirt, on a slope that went downhill away from the sidestand. The bike was basically vertical sitting there.
That was exactly the circumstances behind my R1150R's drop five years ago. Parked it on a slope in the only spot available. The bike was nearly vertical, but stable, or so I thought. Did my business at the store. Got back to the bike. Put stuff in the left hard bag. Got on and leaned it a bit to the right to get the sidestand up, and gravity just made it continue to lean! Not a thing I could do but let if slowly fall.

I love the way you word it: "like watching a ship sink." :laugh

Unless I missed it, am I the only one that forgot to put the kickstand down in the driveway?
No, you're not alone. That's how I droped my 12GS nearly three years ago. At a hotel parking lot in Austin after a long hot ride from Dallas the last 20 miles of which was in heavy (and HOT) Austin Friday afternoon rush hour traffic. I stopped the bike in a parking space, cut the engine, pulled off the gloves & helmet. Put earplugs in the tankbag. Then...got off. I felt like such an idiot. :banghead

308NUT
03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Try this for refinishing parts, valve covers etc.

very good work

www.classicrefinishers.com

osbornk
03-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Unless I missed it, am I the only one that forgot to put the kickstand down in the driveway?

I did MUCH worse. I forgot to put my kickstand down in front of a busy grocery store in the middle of the day. It wouldn't have hurt so much except I live in a small town were everybody knows everybody and I have the only brown motorcycle in the county.

bswihart
02-26-2010, 04:11 AM
I jsut bought 2002 R1150R. The previous owner had them painted to match the bike color. Bad Idea. The paint is bubbling in a few spots, must have been a slow saturday. Anyway, I want to remove the paint. Recommdations for soda blast or solvent? Do the original covers have any chemical film or surface treatment on them?

ragtoplvr
02-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Welcome to the beemer droppers club

I dropped mine the first day, off the center stand.

No wait, it needed a nap.

If you are not hurt, that is really all that matters.

Welcome, it is not that bad in here, really!

Rod

jstrube
02-26-2010, 04:28 AM
A really good soda blaster should be able to just remove the top paint. I wold probably remove all of it & re-paint.

02-26-2010, 05:11 AM
To put this in perspective.....

Valve covers, $200

Valve cover guards, another $200

The great feeling you get when walking your daughter down the isle, Priceless

beemeup
02-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I dropped my 2009 RT on a fine gravel road in a campground within the first 6 months of owning it. The valve covers and the left saddlebag lid were scratched up pretty good. Naturally, no engine guards were on the bike. I'm going with the new ZTechnik engine guards, I think they look about the best and will not obstruct me from doing valve adjustments or oil changes. Here's the link:

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z7101.html?search_model=bm-060

They retail for $289.95, not cheap, but they seem solid and look good.

Although I was disappointed that the bike was marred, I have justified it by
saying that this is normal wear and tear. I got it to ride, not to look at.....

Don

greenwald
02-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I dropped my 2009 RT on a fine gravel road in a campground within the first 6 months of owning it. The valve covers and the left saddlebag lid were scratched up pretty good. Naturally, no engine guards were on the bike. I'm going with the new ZTechnik engine guards, I think they look about the best and will not obstruct me from doing valve adjustments or oil changes. Here's the link:

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z7101.html?search_model=bm-060

They retail for $289.95, not cheap, but they seem solid and look good.

Although I was disappointed that the bike was marred, I have justified it by
saying that this is normal wear and tear. I got it to ride, not to look at.....

Don

Been there - done that.

Hey - most automotive body shops a little less busy this time of year. A good shop should be able to match and repaint that scratched up side case for under $100. My GM dealer has done a really nice job on mine.

Enjoy Spring! :wave

mpmarty
02-26-2010, 06:21 PM
I guess I'm a charter member of the dropped bike club. I used to own a Yamaha Venture Royal 1300cc monster. I could drop it with the wife on board on a flat smooth parking lot in a heartbeat. Almost a thousand pounds of Japanese iron and the wife and I together would stand it back up. My 06RT fell over in the garage at home. I had it on the side stand and forgot to put it in gear. There is a slight slope in my shop floor and the bike just gently rolled forward and off the stand. No damage as I had Tourtech (sic) engine guards. Second drop was much more dramatic. As I was leaving a Pizza parlor parking lot rolling down the driveway and beginning a left turn a Camaro shot out of the adjacent driveway and I grabbed the front brake. Bike went down on its left side, in gear with the engine running on top of my left leg and thigh. The back tire had enough purchase to slowly spin the bike clockwise on the left side case. I finally wriggled clear and killed the engine. I then grabbed the bike and jerked it back up while standing downhill from it in the driveway. I overextended and tore my right calf muscle and then couldn't raise my foot to put the side stand down. There I stood in agony holding my bike like some idiot. Another biker ran over and saved my bacon. Took some black sign enamel and covered the white scratches on the bottom of the left side case and all is well again.:violin

Anyname
02-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Could be worse, years ago, my wife borrowed my car and used it to run into my K100. No, she was not injured before, during or after the incident.

ExGMan
02-27-2010, 06:20 PM
For less than $20, you can end your backing out of the garage days. See the cheapo turntable reference at the California Scientific site:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Images/Turntable1.jpg

Here's the description:
"Get a 12" steel Lazy Susan bearing set at Lowes or Home Depot, about $10. Place a piece of mild steel over it. Now, put your bike on the center stand, riding on the lazy susan. You can push down on your luggage rack to lift the front wheel, and easily turn your bike 360??. Good for cleaning and working on your bike; for not having to back out of the garage; and for all of you who have wanted since you were five years old to have your own train turntable. Alternative: if you have smooth concrete, you can get a 12" by 12" piece of Teflon. Idea and photos by Scott Cloninger"

I've got one of these...$8 for the 1,000# capacity turntable, and $0 for the steel. Works like a charm.

Ctrod
03-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Try here.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/info.html
They come and go pretty quick but if your not in a hurry you should be able to get what you need.

TOMRUNNING
03-03-2010, 04:11 PM
My daughter used to leave things in the driveway and I would go nuts. When she was 16 we got caught in an ugly storm and she rode the 100 miles through it and when we made it home she dropped her K75S on the driveway. She was very upset. I told her to remember one thing about motorcycles. They fall over. Live with it. She now rides a R1100S and didn't feel bad when she slipped in the mud last year at the Road America Bike Races and dropped it. Life goes on. Enjoy your daughter, she will grow up fast and become your riding partner.

_RockZ_
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
some people say two typwes of rider those going down and those that have been down,Glad thats Over!!:dance:dance:dance

ExGMan
03-04-2010, 12:34 AM
+1! I'm hoping my tipover on my old F650GS will qualify me for membership in the tipover club, and I won't have to re-qualify on my RT.:banghead

brhartw
03-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Yep, in a very short time of owning a very nice K75S, I dropped it twice!

First time was in sloped alley, hit the front brake with wheel turned and over we went. I jumped out of the way and no worse except for a bent brake lever which I was able to straighten out. Side bags took most of the fall.

2nd time was when the center stand was broken, I had it on the stand with 2 x 4 holding up the short leg. Rolled forward off the stand and drop, over she went. No damage, just frustration with being clumsy.

So, hopefully the new r1100rt in the garage has a smarter owner keeping her from going over.

Brad:thumb

nmsharpy
03-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Use things ..........love people

rmshortley
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
And, don't forget the scuff protectors for the bottoms of the side cases!!

tourunigo
03-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I haven't read every post here but..... any tip over has been due to some sort of miscalculation on my part. ie slanted parking lot grade, foot slipped while turning on gravel etc. Quick story: My oldest son, who had some dirt bike experience, was visiting from the left coast and used my K1100LT so that the two of us could go for a little ride. He was 26 at the time. I watched him slowly back the bike out of the driveway while sitting on it. No problem at 6'3". Driveway has a little lip at the end that he didn't see and it was enough to initiate a tip over. He walked off it and the bike sank to the ground. This is the point: what is my reaction? He looked at me as if he was a little kid shocked about something 'bad' that he had just done. I laughed and said "little tall isn't it? Let's get it back on it's feet". He was ok, the bike will live and I had my only opportunity to go for a ride with my son. Like someone else said, the years go by so fast. He's still 4,000 miles away but periodically reminds me of that great day we had going for a ride a few years ago. - Bob

RTRandy
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Anyone have a good solution for using a tether for the RT mirrors? I've not seen one out of the box to simply clip on. I've heard a good solution is to rig one with fishing tackle, however since I don't own fishing stuff, I'm not sure what to look for.

I'm thinking some kind of leader wire (or nylon?) at a decent gauge and then using the small clips that work like the clip on a dog leash only tiny to normally attach a lure type thing.

Anyone have a pic or description of one they've rigged? That's the one farkle I'm in need of especially hearing about all the dropped bikes here. I've got the engine guards, just never bothered to tether my mirrors.

PIANOMAN1960
03-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I know how you feel. My 09 RT cost twice as much as any bike I have ever owned. And in the first month I hit my left side case on a sign pole and the highway peg of my wife's bike. Yelled at TEXDOT for putting the sign to close to the fence I was parking by and my wife for parking her bike to close to mine. Was more sucessful yelling at TEXDOT. But my pretty blue paint is still scrached. I have put the ZTECHNIC engine guards on my RT to try and prevent the type of damage you had.

beemeup
03-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Here is a good touch-up paint source:

http://www.colorrite.com/:thumb