PDA

View Full Version : R12RT seat

valvman1
02-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm planning to get my seat redone and spoke to Rick Mayer about it. Due to my height (6'4") and weight @220 lb he suggested adapting a one piece seat to replace the standard two piece unit. Has anyone out there done this?
Thanks,
Dave Bogue

lfranklin
02-28-2009, 01:47 AM
I had my R1200RT seat worked on by Spencer Motorcycle seats. It is absolutely fantastic and every thing I could have hoped for. I opted for the high tech material. My cost was $75 + shipping. The turnaround was 2 days.

Don't know how many other BMW riders have tried him, he has quite a following from the Gold Wing riders.

My bike seemed like a new bike, I felt I was a part of the bike instead of sitting on top of it. Send him an e-mail, he will respond.

I googled spencer motorcycle seats.

Leon Franklin
R1200RT

marcopolo
02-28-2009, 02:47 AM
I had my R1200RT seat worked on by Spencer Motorcycle seats. It is absolutely fantastic and every thing I could have hoped for. I opted for the high tech material. My cost was $75 + shipping. The turnaround was 2 days.

Don't know how many other BMW riders have tried him, he has quite a following from the Gold Wing riders.

My bike seemed like a new bike, I felt I was a part of the bike instead of sitting on top of it. Send him an e-mail, he will respond.

I googled spencer motorcycle seats.

Leon Franklin
R1200RT

I just had exactly the same thing done over the winter. His (Spencer) service was very good, and prompt. However, given where I live, I have not yet been able to ride with the "new" seat(s). He's got quite a following among the ST1100 and ST1300 crowd too.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

dockeithdc
02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I just had my seat done by Rick Mayer for my r1200rt. Very pleased with the workmanship. The seat height was significantly increased at the lowest seat setting. I beleive this is due to the increased density of the foam. I would assume that Rick would want to use a one piece seat to allow you to sit further back allowing for your longer legs... If Rick suggested it, I would go with it, he knows his seats!!!

kbasa
02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm planning to get my seat redone and spoke to Rick Mayer about it. Due to my height (6'4") and weight @220 lb he suggested adapting a one piece seat to replace the standard two piece unit. Has anyone out there done this?
Thanks,
Dave Bogue

He probably wants to give you room to move back, huh?

valvman1
03-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks all for the input but I guess I didn't explain my question very well.
What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has any info on mounting a '09 one piece
seat on my '08 r1200rt. Rick Mayer said it should be possible but doesn't
know how to do it or what mounting mods will be necessary. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave Bogue
'08 R1200RT

valvman1
03-06-2009, 03:46 AM
For those who may me interested, I found out that the one piece seat that I've seen
on some rt's is only designed for use on lowered suspension bikes and can't be
mounted on bikes fitted w/ ESA. Apparently the seat pan interferes w/ the ESA
hardware. End result-- I've sent off my order to Rick Mayer today. Even though I only
ride solo it will be necessary to modify both front and back sections to best accommodate my height. I also plan to add a peg lowering kit and possibly bar risers.

Dave Bogue
R1200rt

Tom K.
03-06-2009, 04:56 PM
... End result-- I've sent off my order to Rick Mayer today. Even though I only
ride solo it will be necessary to modify both front and back sections to best accommodate my height. I also plan to add a peg lowering kit and possibly bar risers.
Dave Bogue
R1200rt

At 5'10", I had Rick do my low 1200RT seat in leather. The seat is no higher than stock, the workmanship is top notch and it is very comfortable. I also ride solo and paid for the leather option by retaining my stock passenger seat - it looks a tad odd, but somehow, I don't notice while riding.

Lowered pegs & barbacks also helped long distance comfort, as does the Z-Technik V Stream windshield - if you have any $$ left for more farkles!

Tom

TGA57589
03-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Send me a private message for info about your seat.

Tom from MD how long did it take for you to get your seats done?

TGA57589
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Who else do you suppose I could use for a seat?

Beware of the wolf in sheeps clothes...

RTST
03-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Check out Corbin, they use a firm foam that is very supportive and you can keep or add heating.
Larry

leadfoot
03-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Check out Corbin, they use a firm foam that is very supportive and you can keep or add heating.
Larry

I have a Corbin on my Electra Glide as well as my RT. I like the hard seat surface, eliminates hot spots for me, and lets me move around easily. One word of caution, the seat will be taller than stock. The Corbin at the low setting is approximately the same height as the stock seat in the top position. If you are shorter than me (5'9") you will be stopping with your tip toes. I am not be able to place both feet flat at a stop. I can lean a bit and place one foot comfortabley flat, but not both. Corbin may able to build you a lower seat however. I bought mine used, but at a killer price, so I will deal with it. Hope this helps.

azrtrdr
03-16-2009, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=TGA57589;433094]Who else do you suppose I could use for a seat?

There is Bill Mayer also.
Mine is enroute to my house.
I have used him before and had excellent results.

joelaw
03-17-2009, 04:06 AM
There is also Russell. He too is in California. I had him make the saddle for my R1100RT, then moved it to a R1150RT. Used it for nearly 10 yrs., and a few 100k miles, never wore it out. Great saddle!! Have a R12RT now, and it does not fit.

Russell also owns the patient for the original Russell Day Long saddle design. I think he has a website.