PDA

View Full Version : New RT--adding pkg options

beemergirl
02-26-2009, 04:36 AM
I've ID'd a possible used '09 to purchase but it's pretty much bare bones. Was wondering if it's possible to add options, i.e. cruise control, ESA, etc. or do the bikes have to come from the factory with the options?

Anyone have experience with this?

akbeemer
02-26-2009, 05:20 AM
I've seen adding ESA discussed before and the conclusion was that adding it is just not practical. For enough money you can do just about anything to a machine, but it would take a heep of cash. I suspect the same is true for the cruise control. I do not have ESA on my RT and I don't think it diminsihes my joy of ownership one bit. It does not take much to adjust the suspension and it's not something that needs to be done all that often. You may be able to find an aftermarket cruise control that will work on the RT, but I can't offer any help on that.

azgman
02-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I've ID'd a possible used '09 to purchase but it's pretty much bare bones. Was wondering if it's possible to add options, i.e. cruise control, ESA, etc. or do the bikes have to come from the factory with the options?

If you really want these options, then buy a bike with them installed from the factory.

My RT does not have ESA, and it is fine without it. However, for me, I must have heated grips! YMWV! :)

beemergirl
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree ESA is not a dealbreaker but I really want cruise control on the bike, so I threw both options out there.

The bike does have heated grips but there a a few nice to have options I would pay for, that's what I was wondering about.

Thanks for your responses.

deilenberger
02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
As a general rule - if it doesn't come with it (and it's not an available later-purchase option from BMW, ie - seats, alarms) - it's about impossible to add things to the current generation of bikes.

The reason? BMW won't sell the codes necessary to turn things on in the ZKE module. I looked into retrofitting TPM/RDC (Tire Pressure Monitoring) and ASC (Automatic Stability Control) to my '07 R1200R.

While the parts are available to do it - BMW will not sell the code needed to activate the features in the ZKE module, and both use the ZKE (and the ASC also uses the engine control module) to perform their functions.

Why? Dunno - I suspect partly liability.

So - general rule, if you want it - buy the bike with it already installed.

beemergirl
02-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Don, your post helps a lot.

I'll see what all the bike has and maybe I can be happy with it's assets the way it is! :love

andrewsi
02-27-2009, 11:15 PM
When I purchased my RT late last year I found it impossible to locate on-the-shelf stock bikes with some of the less popular options, in particular, the ASC and TPM. In the end I wound up waiting for a factory order/delivery, but boy the wait was painful... I was ready to buy in Mid-August, but between the yearly shutdown of production in Germany and the time to get the bike built and transported to the west coast, it was early November by the time it was finally in my hot little hands. It's too bad they won't let the dealer retrofit some of those options on site.

R80RTJohnny
02-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Contrary to others ESA was mandatory. I go from one up to passenger setting on a regular basis. Having to set the suspension is just too much of a pain. My wife is a great passenger.

Cruise is sweet. TPM fantastic. Heated grips (standard in Canada) in the rain there hard to beat.

ASC - added measure of security.

Bike computer (BC) great to have - fuel consumption/mileage. Outside temperature.

Heated seats - YES! Ask your passenger if they would like a warm tush when it's cold outside.

Guess you can tell what package I have on my R12RT. For going back to basics I kept the R80RT to have fun with.

Have fun choosing - Just make sure you do not have regrets.

andrewsi
02-28-2009, 12:06 AM
To add my feelings regarding the different options I have on my bike:

- Cruise: Nearly Necessary. Simple to use and gives your hand a break.
- ESA: Nice to have for me, but if you change your load or passenger frequently, it'd be much more of a must-have.
- TPM: Awesome. Love it. I always know what my pressure's doing.
- ASC: Can't say I've ever felt it kick in yet, but I like knowing it's there.
- Heated seats: I think they're nice, but I rarely find that part of me to be cold even in very cold weather. On the other hand...
- Heated grips: These have been less useful than I thought they would be. The main issues have been that they have two settings (Not warm enough, and too warm), and secondly, I still find that the tips of my fingers were getting quite cold and numb even though my palms were doing fine. I found a pair of Gerbing gloves for cheap from someone who used them once and then quit riding, and the difference is night and day. My fingers finally feel "normal" even in cold weather due to the wrap-around heating elements.
- Bike Computer: Must have. Can't imagine the RT without it, to be honest.
- Radio: Save your money (I did and don't regret it.) Why pay $1500 for a radio and CD player, when you could buy a Zumo 550 for about half that, and then you'd have both a GPS AND a satellite radio, with plenty left over for a headset? Besides, then you also get the nice handy lockable glovebox left open for stuff, instead of being filled up with a CD player. :-)

And then there's a long list of farkles/add-ons that I found extremely useful AFTER I got the bike, but that's obviously a whole separate topic.

womanridge
02-28-2009, 01:41 AM
I bought a new 2007 RT last year. I love it. Rode over 20k in the first year. First thing I changed is the seat. BMW does not make a good seat.:blah
I found out another slight problem was when I was loaded with gear, I could not see out of my rear view mirrors. I saw a post of another MOA thread regarding adding RS mirrors that attach to the reservoirs on the handle bars. A bit pricy, but I'm happy I ordered them. They are really great. Maybe someone reading this can direct you to the post that featured them.

marcopolo
02-28-2009, 02:43 AM
From my experience I'd recommend these options at a minimum: cruise, heated grips and heated seats, bike computer. Having said that, you may not be able to get some of these without having to get other options with them. In Canada, options still come bundled into packages. You may be able to order a bike with just the options you want. If you can't wait, I'm sure you'd be able to find one that's a "standard build", i.e., came from the factory with the most popular options. Given what you're paying for a new RT, I don't think it makes sense to get a bare-bones bike, especially if you want cruise (once you have it, you'll never want to be without it if you do any sort of long-distance riding).

_RockZ_
02-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Just brought my 2005 RT home today traded in My 07'R and Man Living in MN is tough but I praying for Dry road,I don't care the temp.(heated seat and grips):dance :dance

LONERANGER
02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I have every available option on my 08RT. I especially like ESA and TPM and the computer. I had a 06 Leadwing and got used to having a radio so I also enjoy the radio on my RT. If I had to do it over I get the same options that I have now. Only problem is the weather here in Iowa.:violin Can't wait until Spring :thumb

kbasa
02-28-2009, 02:56 PM

They come from the factory with the options, but I'd recommend taking a pass on ESA. Invest in a good pair of Ohlins instead. When that rear shock wears out, the replacement is $1800. Ohlins are cheaper.

The heated seat is sublime, as is the cruise control. The bike computer is very helpful. If you don't like the heated seat's shape, you can have it altered by Rocky Mayer and he'll retain the heat. The heating element is just a membrane that fits between the seat foam and the cover and it's easily removed and reinstalled by a seat maker. We also added a rear power outlet so Tina can plug her jacket in.

The stock shield is noisy, so I replaced it with a CalSci shield. It's not pretty, but it's amazingly quiet. Call them to get the right size. They're about half the price of Aeroflow, Cee Bailey and the rest of them. The hole in the shield down low doesn't let an appreciable amount of water through and it evens the pressure behind the screen, which helps with turbulence.

We also added Ohlins and this bike is now as taut and controlled as I could wish for. On the gnarly super tight goat trails we have here in NorCal, there's no denying this is a largish motorcycle, but it has amazing compliance and chassis control. I can place this motorcycle exactly where I want it to be easily and get terrific feedback from the tires about traction levels. We had it sprung at the proper rate and it handles me, Tina and all our gear readily. There's nothing like doing some heavy duty backroad scratching like that and tracking down the local sport riders. :evil

beemergirl
02-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I confirmed today that the options only come from the factory and cannot be added by the dealer. But I also found out the bike I'm looking at has TPM, cruise control, heated grips, and other things.....not ESA and ASC though.

Gonna get to ride it midweek and I may be an RT owner by next weekend! :brad

r11rs94
02-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I confirmed today that the options only come from the factory and cannot be added by the dealer. But I also found out the bike I'm looking at has TPM, cruise control, heated grips, and other things.....not ESA and ASC though.

Gonna get to ride it midweek and I may be an RT owner by next weekend! :brad

RT's Rule..:rocker

lkchris
08-13-2011, 10:43 PM
ASC is retrofittable if your R1200RT production date is 01/07 or later

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2010/bmw-motorcycles-makes-asc-retrofittable

The kits are visible in RealOEM, but it's fairly meaningless as this requires dealer installation.

nelliott
08-17-2011, 05:12 AM

Others will have better info on costs outside of factory.

I do wish to tell you that heated grips, heated seat (in Canada), cruise control, traction control are all AMAZING options that you will use.

I like my ESA too, but not as critical as the ones above. Sport, normal and comfort adjustments - I use them all. AND I use the single rider with and without a load option. I don't ride two-up.