PDA

View Full Version : How flat is too flat?

sit
02-26-2009, 02:36 AM
Put new Tourances on my GS last summer part way throuh the season. Most of my fun riding was done and the tires and bike have had to deal with mainly commuting on a rather straight boring road to and from work. As a result of this, they have developed pretty good flat spots down the middle. My last set of Tourances went nearly 12K, these have about 6K on them. Plenty of meat left, but the flat spots are annoying at best.

So, how big of a flat spot is okay until it becomes dangerous? With the fun riding season nearly here, was thinking about new shoes so I can have good profiles on the tires and not worry about any goofyness through the mountains etc.

So what says the collective?

deilenberger
02-26-2009, 05:18 AM
I never told you this..

In NJ - we have lots of flat boring roads. One uses them to get to work, or ride to interesting roads. Due to this - the back tire flat's off (center wears flat). This causes funky(tm) handling, where the bike resists turn-in, and then rather suddenly falls into a corner. You get used to it - but it's not as much fun as a good tire profile.

I've heard of someone in my neighborhood (we'll call him a friend.. that's the ticket, "my FRIEND has experienced flatted-off tires..") who has been known to take a belt-sander, with coarse sandpaper in it to the "corners" on the tires. It takes a bit of skill and time to do - but with some determination - sitting behind the bike, using the sander so it not only sands, but tends to turn the tire, one can make the corners go away. The result is a much nicer handling tire. Downside is - the tire probably won't last as long, but if it was bad enough to consider replacing due to the corners/flat area - then this actually prolongs your enjoyable use of the tire. I've heard this has to be done with care so the bike doesn't push forward off the centerstand, and so the tire doesn't throw the sander at the operator.

Not that I know anything about this, or would ever suggest anyone ever do it. Just reporting what I've heard.. in the neighborhood.

henzilla
02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
:laugh :laugh :laugh Don, you sure you are not Burt Monroe from New Zealand?

akbeemer
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Don,

Be sure to wear a mask, tire dust can be hazardous to your lungs. :brow

02-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Do you want some shoe polish for the sidewalls?

Thanks for sharing your "friend's" inner penny pincher... There's a little of him in each of us, manifesting itself in different ways :whistle

sit
02-28-2009, 04:03 AM
Okay, we know a little more about Don now, but come on gang, this is a tire question. I figured this would start some big long thread that dealt with everything tire.

ANDYVH
03-02-2009, 04:39 PM
"So what says the collective?"

Um,....resistance is futile? You will be assimilated.

Oh wait, that's a different subject, for the trekkies out there.

Yeah, worn/flat center tire wear is a burden we mileage riders carry. The other riders out there that only ride maybe 1500 to 2500 miles a year don't seemt o mention it much right? I'd opt for one of the newer multi-compound tires that have a longer wearing center section and grippier outside sections.

Granted, I don't ride a GS, my choice is an older RS. But I have gotten good mileage out of Bridgestone, Avon and Continenetal multi-compound tires. They all wear flat in the center if that is the bulk of your riding. But the multi-compound tires take a bit longer to get there.

mistercindy
03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I have the same issues with the Tourance tires on my 12GS. My daily commute is a 60 miles round trip on Dallas highways, and the tires (particularly the rear) gets flat. I don't worry about it and replace the tires when they need replacing.

MrGrocer
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Put new Tourances on my GS last summer part way throuh the season. Most of my fun riding was done and the tires and bike have had to deal with mainly commuting on a rather straight boring road to and from work. As a result of this, they have developed pretty good flat spots down the middle. My last set of Tourances went nearly 12K, these have about 6K on them. Plenty of meat left, but the flat spots are annoying at best.

So, how big of a flat spot is okay until it becomes dangerous? With the fun riding season nearly here, was thinking about new shoes so I can have good profiles on the tires and not worry about any goofyness through the mountains etc.

So what says the collective?

Well, I'm a lifelong OhioBiker and a midwesterner. I like to draw more attention to the spectacular Vistas on the plains rather than the flat as a pancake roads.

Anyway, its very normal for me to wear flat spots in tires for a year and then get on some twisites in Pennsylvania ot North Carolina. They're just flat spots. Naturally, the more of the whole tire you use the more mileage you'll get but I do OK (between 8 and 11k out of a set of Z-6s about 8 out of a set of Annakees.)