PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up on 08 R1200RT cruise control failure

dockeithdc
02-24-2009, 01:04 PM
This thread is a follow up question to my previous problem. Last evening was very cold (sub 26 degrees) when I started my bike. The bike turned over with some difficulty (oem battery, 4000 miles). I let it warm up and turned on the heated grips, seat and plugged in my heated vest. All worked fine, but when I attempted to switch on my driving lights they did not work. At that point I engaged the cruise switch to see if the red indicator light illuminated and it did not.

After about 6 miles I tried the driving lights again and they worked fine.

Upon arriving home I shut everything down, turned of the ignition for a moment and then turned the ignition back on and started the bike. The driving lights worked fine, and the light at the cruise switch illuminated.

Is it possible that the problem I am experiencing is related to the lousy oem battery. That when the battery is weak the computer shuts down certain functions?

gulfcoastbeemer
02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
The OEM BMW battery on the R1200RT is a quality GEL CELL battery. BMW doesn't give you much in the way of specs on the battery other than it's 19AH.

GEL CELL batteries have many good qualities; however their cold weather performance -- particularly cold-cracking -- is less than that of alternative ABSORPTION GLASS MAT (AGM) batteries.

Still, it's hard to imagine the OEM battery alone is the problem. You mentioned heated apparel and auxiliary lighting (in addition to stock heated seat and grips), but didn't mention the how these items were integrated into the stock electrical system.

The R1200RT has a CAN-BUS system that is, by design, sensitive to current draw and voltage.

dockeithdc
02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
the vest is a BMW vest that is plugged into the power socket and the auxillary lights are motolights that were installed by the dealer.

02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
I think you're on the right track with the battery. You did describe a lot of load on a small battery that was drawn upon to start a cold engine, and possibly low on charge to begin with. During your ride, the charging system had time to recharge the battery enough for everything to work.
Either that, or I wonder if the cruise control has a safety feature based on the temperature? If it's cold enough for ice to be posssible, might the cruise not be allowed to be activated? This would reduce the chance of an accidental spin out if you hit a slick spot, as most cruise control systems warn you about. Just a theory; I don't have all the bells and whistles on my bike and wouldn't know, but do wonder.

R80RTJohnny
02-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I think you're on the right track with the battery. You did describe a lot of load on a small battery that was drawn upon to start a cold engine, and possibly low on charge to begin with. During your ride, the charging system had time to recharge the battery enough for everything to work.
Either that, or I wonder if the cruise control has a safety feature based on the temperature? If it's cold enough for ice to be posssible, might the cruise not be allowed to be activated? This would reduce the chance of an accidental spin out if you hit a slick spot, as most cruise control systems warn you about. Just a theory; I don't have all the bells and whistles on my bike and wouldn't know, but do wonder.

Agree. If the computer senses temps that temps can create a hazardous condition then it could, in theory, limit the use of the cruise control. If BMW did think of that they would be way ahead of the game.

dockeithdc
02-25-2009, 01:52 AM
A good idea, but when I got home and turned the bike off and then on again the cruise light did illuminate... the temperature outside was the same as it was when the cruise did not work...

akbeemer
02-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Doc,

Don't want to seem rude or unsympathetic, but trying to diagnose this problem via the forum is kinda like performing a colonoscopy on one's self through advice over the phone. You need to take this into a dealer or someone who has an indepth knowledge of electrical systems. The possibile causes for your problems appear to be large and varied. I'll add another scientific wild ass guess. There is something causing excess draw on a circuit. When this happens in the canbus system the symptoms are unpredictable. I caused such a problem installing a Hyper Light. The symptom... when I touched the dimmer switch the bike tried to start. Removed the offending draw on the circuit and all was well. What could be causing the excess amperage on a sytem? Any number of bad switches, chaffed wires or poorly installed accessories. Take it to a pro; it must be under warranty and if you bungle a repair attempt you could have issues with the dealer honoring the warranty.

dockeithdc
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Good advice Alaska... We go to see the surgeon tomorrow. My intention with posting this on the forum was to see if similar problems exist within this community.