PDA

View Full Version : New 12GS tires, and my 12GS tire history

Polarbear
02-24-2009, 12:18 AM
For a rear tire anything, this is one huge exceptional run for a rear tire! My best has been around 12000 rear and near 20 for a front only. Never heard anyone going this far on a rear. Congrats:). Randy

burnszilla
02-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Try a Conti Trail Attack. They have a rounder profile. You'll never go back. LOVE these sticky tires. The do ok in the dirt, although they look like a street tire.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3301455097_9f19f27f8f_b.jpg

Polarbear
02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Had not heard of the Conti one for GS's:). My latest GSA came with BWings and they are equal to the Metzlers, imo. The Conti's look good though. Are they priced right? At $115, the BW's are hard to beat and I mount my own, with my personal tire machine:). May want to try those Conti's someday. Randy

The_Veg
02-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks Burnzi for the tip! I agree, they do seem to resemble the BW's in some respects, and I love the BW's...if the Contis perform as well, wear as well, are easier to mount (damn BW's are OBSTINATE with their thick sidewalls!), and are priced competitively, I just might hafta try them.

BTW, what is the black cylinder mounted on the right side just below the bag-mounts?

henzilla
02-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Try a Conti Trail Attack. They have a rounder profile. You'll never go back. LOVE these sticky tires. The do ok in the dirt, although they look like a street tire.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3301455097_9f19f27f8f_b.jpg

My 09GSA came with those, great road response but not fun in the mud or a wet caliche road. My rear had belts showing at 7000, just swapped the front at 8500 with maybe another 500 left on it. Jury still out for me. They did stick well until the cord appeared one agressive afternoon. May try again in future if I plan on being on the pavement that set.

henzilla
02-25-2009, 01:19 AM
I love the BW's...if the Contis perform as well, wear as well, are easier to mount (damn BW's are OBSTINATE with their thick sidewalls!), and are priced competitively, I just might hafta try them.

Just changed a set of BW's off a friends bike...those sidewalls were a beach to dismount also.

mistercindy
02-25-2009, 01:27 AM
I have the Metzeler Tourance on my R1200G.S, and I think you will like them. I have a question on the tire air pressures that you have been running in the past couple of years. Will you be running the same combination pressures on the new Tourance. Thanks for the Info,
Dave
I tend to run around 44/42.f Then I'll ignore it for a month and put 'em back to 44/42.

ghostrider1964
02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Battlewings did not come close to the wear nor the traction of my old style Metzlers! I pulled the front and rear Battlewings and threw them in the recycler!!!:banghead I might ride a bit more agressive than some and the roads here are hot chip and calichie, both take their tolls on Tires. Have not tried conti's but I plan on ordering another set of Tourance soon:wave

henzilla
05-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Revival thread...

Ready to replace another set of GSA tires. Have a new set of Tourance and a set of Tourance EXP's sitting on the floor. Have heard the EXP's are getting less mileage than the originals...What are the results any one has seen and under what kind of riding? Alex said he would not go back with a set in another thread. On ADV Rider there is a mixed bag with different bikes from Tigers to V Stroms.

My plan is to go with the EXP's for a trial and plan on replacing them before I go to TN in July if they last less than the 7K I have been getting on a rear regular Tourance. The EXP's look more like a 80/20 road tire , I guess I will see with the gravel and caliche roads I play on. They look like the Contis that came on the '09 ...those liked the road, but hated any kind of mud.

henzilla
05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
No EXP feedback? = not good...

Polarbear
05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I've not found anything short of KNOBS for mud and sand, thats any good. The dual sport tires are more highway friendly and hardpack dirt,gravel, etc....I go slow when I find mud, snow, sand, or find myself wondering how I fell off:). Ask me how I know:). Randy:D

henzilla
05-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Tourance EXP's are great on pavement and stick in the corners...what they do not like is loose caliche and gravel ranch roads. Felt like a flat tracker taking a few corners...they definitely drift like a road tire they resemble. I had ridden same stretch on the original Tourances several times before and not had that much"fun"

I'll see how they wear in the next few weeks...I do not think I will get another set based on the dirt road experience.