PDA

View Full Version : castrol motor oil

vizslaowner
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
to anyone who might know....where can I get castrol 20-50 motorcycle oil in the US? The shop I deal with says BMW recomends this oil in europe but its not availible here in the US. Everytime I've changed my oil myself, I just went to WalMart and got Castrol GTX 20 50. A freind pointed out to me that this is AUTO oil! Never even thought about that before. My RT did heat up last year in a traffic jam in Pittsburgh to the point where I pulled off the road for a half hour to let it cool before I damaged the motor. If I cant get this oil here is there another brand I can get besides synthetic that is compatible to the $$$ Beemer oil?:banghead

lensuz
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I've been using Castrol GTX 20-50w in my '06 RT for 60K miles and nothing has blown up yet. I'm not sure why your bike heated up, but I've been in 110 deg F heat with no overheating.

In my opinion, a lot of this auto vs motorcycle stuff is over thinking on an issue. I don't use excessive oil between oil changes, in fact I'm not sure I burn a measurable amount...at least eye balling through the peek window.

vizslaowner
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm sure it heated up because the situation was... couldnt shut it off as traffic was moving very slowly...1 car length at a time.... I was 2 up also....we were in this situation for at least 20 minute before I decided to pull off and let it cool. I got on castols web site but so far I haven't had any luck finding anything out.

NavyCWO
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I get mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts store near us. Make sure it states "motorcycle oil".

henzilla
02-17-2009, 05:06 PM
AutoZone and O'Reilly's also .... 20/50Castrol 4T Motorcycle oil SH/SG on the rear circle label

Mobil 1 SYN 20/50 motorcycle oil here also called V-Twin blend , but it also is SG/SH

time for more oil debate,eh?

ANDYVH
02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
There are big differences these days between cycle specific and car oils, even from Castrol, and even in the 20W50 range. I would only use car oil in a pinch and then only temporarily.

Buy a motorcycle specific oil from whichever brand you can find as long as it is the right visoscity range and load range (SF, SG, etc). At that point, brand name and dino versus synthetic makes little difference. But do not use car-general oil unless you have no choice. Ten years ago that wasn't quite the case, but it is today with the many changes in car oils that are not good for cycle engines.

hlothery
02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm sure it heated up because the situation was... couldnt shut it off as traffic was moving very slowly...1 car length at a time.... I was 2 up also....we were in this situation for at least 20 minute before I decided to pull off and let it cool. I got on castols web site but so far I haven't had any luck finding anything out.

Been there, done that. I hope I am solving this issue as we speak.....my RT is in the shop having an RT/P oil cooler fan installed. :thumb

akbeemer
02-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Been there, done that. I hope I am solving this issue as we speak.....my RT is in the shop having an RT/P oil cooler fan installed. :thumb

What is the costing you, Hugh? I think it is a good idea.

hlothery
02-17-2009, 08:22 PM
What is the costing you, Hugh? I think it is a good idea.

I am not inclined to do it myself, so the local dealer ordered the BMW parts and is installing it. Expect it to be around $500. No price tag on peace of mind, though.

rthomas9620
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
My understanding that the Castrol in Europe is completely different than that in the US. This has been true for a long time. The BMW branded oil sold in the US is made by Spectro. The 20w-50 is Spectro 4.

This oil also is sold in a single 4 liter bottle which works out great for my 4 liter capacity R1200

PGlaves
02-18-2009, 02:17 AM
As noted above:

Castrol 4T Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil, rated API SH/SG, available in 10w40 and 20w50 weights at O'Reilly and Autozone. Only cents per quart more expensive than GTX.

tbryant
02-18-2009, 05:19 AM
I get the Valvoline MC 20W50 at Autozone, it's only $3.50 per quart...no problems in 60k.

Terry

bob1100rtc
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I got a gallon of Castrol 4T at Pepboys for something like $14 or $15. I have around $25 in computer fans behind my oil cooler. (I did have relays and wire laying around) I haven't overheated since.

jenkenj
02-18-2009, 11:51 PM
I am now more confused than ever. If the engine is separated from the transmission and clutch, why should MC specific oil be used? I understand that newly formulated automotive oils may affect wet clutches and may not stand up to the shearing forces within a transmission, but so what? I don't have a wet clutch and my gear box is full of gear oil. Is it just a heat issue with an air/oil cooled engine, or is there some other reason I should use MC specific engine oil in my hexhead?

marcopolo
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Castrol MC oil is readily available in Canada. That said, there are plenty of other MC-specific oils available, e.g., Spectro, Motul etc. I've used Castrol, Motul and Spectro in my R12RT. They all met the requirements that BMW specified in the owners' manual. BMW does not specify a particular brand of oil, though they do recommend Castrol (recommending is not the same as specifying, in my view).

BMWRich58
02-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Currently using Mobil1 15w50 after reading more than enough "to put you to sleep" reports on more than enough 'cycle Web sites about this oil...

So why did I switch??
Riders posted their oil sample analysis,which show the additive packages still present in the sampled oil after thousands of miles (like 5000) .
Just about anywhere in the US is a Wally World or big chain store which carries this brand/weight of oil.
No more carring the extra weight or losing the precious space on the bike.
Lastly,price...I can't believe a 5 qt jug sells for $26.00+tax...$5.20 a qt...

BUDDINGGEEZER
02-19-2009, 01:59 AM
I am now more confused than ever. If the engine is separated from the transmission and clutch, why should MC specific oil be used? I understand that newly formulated automotive oils may affect wet clutches and may not stand up to the shearing forces within a transmission, but so what? I don't have a wet clutch and my gear box is full of gear oil. Is it just a heat issue with an air/oil cooled engine, or is there some other reason I should use MC specific engine oil in my hexhead?

In the 10W-40 and 20W-50 weights It ain,t about the wet clutches. It's about the API grade SG/SH which means more extreme pressure additive or ZDDP (zinc and phosphorus) which non roller rocker/camshaft engines (motorcycle engines) need.

If you want to know what the amounts of ZDDP some oils have, do a Google search of "virgin oil analysis" and look for the levels of zinc and phosphorus. 1200 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorus come close to the old API SG rating.

Castrol 4T is fine. Castrol Acteevo SJ oil has around 900 ppm zinc.

Run what you want. It's yall's camshaft, not mine.

Ralph Sims

Ralph Sims

henzilla
02-19-2009, 04:11 AM
Mobil 1 FAQ's, just saying there are different Mobil 1's

one FAQ being what is difference between car vs motorcycle blend. There are maybe 5 different Mobil 1 formulations. The motorcycle blend has the SH/SG label that the others do not that is recommended in the owners manual of hexheads. Mine says 20/50 also.
One blend I have used in my diesel and would not use in my boxer.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2

use what makes you happy , oil discussion # 429 :laugh

BMWRich58
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Mobil 1 FAQ's, just saying there are different Mobil 1's

one FAQ being what is difference between car vs motorcycle blend. There are maybe 5 different Mobil 1 formulations. The motorcycle blend has the SH/SG label that the others do not that is recommended in the owners manual of hexheads. Mine says 20/50 also.
One blend I have used in my diesel and would not use in my boxer.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2

use what makes you happy , oil discussion # 429 :laugh

Just more reading thats all.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1086285

Polarbear
02-24-2009, 12:30 AM
M/C Valvoline is available everywhere in California and other western states, as IS Castrol M/C oil..$3.79 a qt. here in Ca..Sure beats the Spectro Brand and others at extreme prices. I simply gave up on synthetics(motor oil), years ago, due to the price at 12$+ out here, a quart. I still use the synthetics in my gear boxs, Tranny and FD and I get it at WalMart for 10$ a qt.(full synthetic)75-140w GL5, Gear oil...GSA1200 rider, Randy

JDWexler
06-26-2009, 08:01 PM
HI, just wanted to report on a 1994 R1100RS with 159k on it that has been run on GTX 20-50 "car oil" for all but the first 6k of its life. It uses about 1/2qt in 3000mi. There do not appear to be any problems from using this oil. I do not consider a little oil consumption that big a deal. (It was normal in air heads partly because there were no valve stem seals)

JW

jm1515
06-26-2009, 11:08 PM
In the 10W-40 and 20W-50 weights It ain,t about the wet clutches. It's about the API grade SG/SH which means more extreme pressure additive or ZDDP (zinc and phosphorus) which non roller rocker/camshaft engines (motorcycle engines) need.

If you want to know what the amounts of ZDDP some oils have, do a Google search of "virgin oil analysis" and look for the levels of zinc and phosphorus. 1200 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorus come close to the old API SG rating.

Castrol 4T is fine. Castrol Acteevo SJ oil has around 900 ppm zinc.

Run what you want. It's yall's camshaft, not mine.

Ralph Sims

Ralph Sims
Well, if it's Zinc @1200ppm and Phos @1100 ppm everyone's worried about :scratch,
check out my latest UOA......

The last one shows Castrol SyntechBlend 20w50 @ 6100mi OCI, and the first one shows M1 15w/50 @ 3260mi OCI.
They both show more Z than 'recommended' after thousands of miles, and plenty of P too :dance
WOOHOOO.....my camshafts are safe......:thumb
BTW....FWIW...neither one is moto specific oil.....:scratch

Polarbear
06-27-2009, 01:17 AM
BMW fixed under warranty, replacing the cams in my '95 1100 engine at 95000 miles. I never knew why, BUT cams do go south and BMW has a history a ways back, fixing these. Oil related, unknown. The cams are(were) not solid units then, as the lobes were pressed on the camshaft! They moved, during the life of my engine. SO, you can figure how important oil "may" be? Its a question mark. Iuse the Valvoline m/c 20/50 today in my GSA1200, no issues. SOME issues, oil related, take years to show themselves. The zinc, phos. additives are good answers already spoken:). Randy:thumb:usa

BordenBmw
06-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Since my first oil change that I did myself at 5000Km, I've been using GTX 20w50 in my R1200ST. Change it every 5000Km including filter, even if BMW recommend 10000Km. I normally donÔÇÖt add any between oil changes and now have 40 000 km on it. Before, I had a Ducati 907ie for 10 Years and I was using the same oil with no problems. When I sold it, I had over 50 000 km. In my opinion, auto oil is fine if you have the right grade and API rating and have a dry clutch.:thumb