PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket brake pads?

Bullfrog
02-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Any one know of aftermarket pads for the R1200GS Adv that don't cost 210 bucks?!?:sick

I don't want to run around with just a back brake for very long but, the R75 will get a work out I guess.:whistle

Dave

henzilla
02-13-2009, 11:21 PM
BeemerBoneyard has Carbone Lorraine pads for 27.95 for rears

Have used these for a few years with no issues on the Hexheads, all the oilheads have them also....sintered vs non-sintered brake lining arguments to begin shortly:laugh I have seen no brake performance difference from the hi dollar BMW vs these.

henzilla
02-14-2009, 12:37 AM
here is the scoop on the difference between sintered and organic and the opinions

http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/sintered_vs_organic.htm

Bullfrog
02-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Thanks, Steve. Do you have any experience with the fronts? I have 27K on my fronts and I'm hearing the telltale squeal just before the bike stops. No noise during fast braking only when coming to a slow stop.

I'm on my 3rd set of factory pads in the rear, already. I am not an aggressive rider, despite what my wife says.:p

I'm going to check out the beemerboneyard right now!

Dave

henzilla
02-14-2009, 03:39 AM
Been thru 3 sets of rears on my RT, The '05 linked really wear out the rears on mine but fronts still have a lot of life at 60K, I cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner when I had some squealing. The '05 GS was the same way on wear pattern...

maxscycle
02-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Any one know of aftermarket pads for the R1200GS Adv that don't cost 210 bucks?!?:sick

I buy EBC brake pads at my local honda dealer. About 1/3rd the price of OEM at the dealer.
max
delaware

The_Veg
02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Been thru 3 sets of rears on my RT, The '05 linked really wear out the rears on mine but fronts still have a lot of life at 60K, I cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner when I had some squealing. The '05 GS was the same way on wear pattern...

Try not using the pedal when you ride on pavement. The lever will apply enough rear braking via the linked setup. If you apply more force through the pedal than what the linked system does, mt theory is that the pedal's force adds in and I think that this is why so many GS riders have so many complaints about rear wear. I do not use the pedal on my '07 and rear wear is just about where it ideally should be. Of course YMMV.

[/hijack]

Semper_Fi
02-16-2009, 11:29 PM
I buy EBC brake pads at my local honda dealer. About 1/3rd the price of OEM at the dealer.
max
delaware

+1 for EBC - have had them on other bikes and work fine.

henzilla
02-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Try not using the pedal when you ride on pavement. The lever will apply enough rear braking via the linked setup. If you apply more force through the pedal than what the linked system does, mt theory is that the pedal's force adds in and I think that this is why so many GS riders have so many complaints about rear wear. I do not use the pedal on my '07 and rear wear is just about where it ideally should be. Of course YMMV.

[/hijack]

Hey Veg! Blanco is sucking like Dallas used to for you today with the drizzle & chill

I bought my RT with 16K showing and pads were down to rotor scraping thin.
My '05 GS had about same mileage when I got it and the rears needed replacing, but the '07s until I traded it &' 09 system seems to wear better, maybe the bias ratio was changed also. I do use way more front than rear on the road on the GS...but sure use more rear offroad...scared of the front from many gravel roads in the past:whistle

I have some linked and some non-linked bikes I ride as much and some old habits so I don't do the front only....If I did I would bust my ass on the other bikes at some point:doh

And brakes on a GS? I just fall over to stop in the dirt:laugh :laugh

TGA57589
02-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Beemer Boneyard is who you need to contact. I got a few things there and it seems like they have good information and the correct parts.

hlothery
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey Veg! Blanco is sucking like Dallas used to for you today with the drizzle & chill

I bought my RT with 16K showing and pads were down to rotor scraping thin.
My '05 GS had about same mileage when I got it and the rears needed replacing, but the '07s until I traded it &' 09 system seems to wear better, maybe the bias ratio was changed also. I do use way more front than rear on the road on the GS...but sure use more rear offroad...scared of the front from many gravel roads in the past:whistle

I have some linked and some non-linked bikes I ride as much and some old habits so I don't do the front only....If I did I would bust my ass on the other bikes at some point:doh

And brakes on a GS? I just fall over to stop in the dirt:laugh :laugh

Steve and all,

I'm somewhat amazed by this whole conversation. I have 30K on my 05RT and still on the original pads, which still have some left (checked them just last week). Almost never use the rear brake pedal. I must really ride slow!!!

JANMILLER
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Steve and all,

I'm somewhat amazed by this whole conversation. I have 30K on my 05RT and still on the original pads, which still have some left (checked them just last week). Almost never use the rear brake pedal. I must really ride slow!!!

50K on my 04 RT, and both ends need changing... I caved and bought OEM, but did not think to check BeemerBoneyard, should have, saved a ton on fuel pump...

My RT wore the front pads unevenly, each caliper had one pad much thinner than the other. About 10K ago I switched them to no ill effects... But the thin one is now pretty close to gone...

henzilla
02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Steve and all,

you may have hit the " X-factor" by using front lever only like Ben suggests. My latest set on the RT is lasting a long time since the GS is my ride of choice these days. Gotta admit,I used to push that RT really agressively.
Just put a rear set on a clubmates '05 GS with 45K...I think he said first set. There must be some reason some do and do not...other than operator habits of course:whistle

vizslaowner
02-17-2009, 10:58 PM
I have an 07RT and have 20K on the bike. I've replaced the front pads 2 times and the rear 1 time. At the last service the mechanic told me by spring I would need front ones again! I've had several guys on here say thats unusual wear and I think so too. All replacements were BMW. The bike is still under warrenty. If I use aftermarket pads will this affect my warrenty?

henzilla
02-17-2009, 11:52 PM
I have an 07RT and have 20K on the bike. I've replaced the front pads 2 times and the rear 1 time. At the last service the mechanic told me by spring I would need front ones again! I've had several guys on here say thats unusual wear and I think so too. All replacements were BMW. The bike is still under warrenty. If I use aftermarket pads will this affect my warrenty?

That sounds very unusual, the fronts do most of the stopping,but I have not had to change any fronts in some time on any of our bikes with a lot of miles on a few of them. What type of riding do you do? Touring/ commuting/sport? And where? Two up or solo? do you use front lever only or combo brake? Inquiring minds here:ear

On the warranty thing, someone who has more intel will chime in...some places might have an issue if they can tell the diff, cannot see why if they are listed replacements...you seem to be having some type of brake issue that may be a warranty question for sure. There has been lot's of debates on oil filters and warranties lately so stand by for opinions.

BernieEcht
02-18-2009, 12:49 AM
I have a 07 R1200RT, changed the front at 16 K miles and now with 35 K miles have just ordered a new set again. Rear pads are the originals, with barley any wear, maybe 1/3.
My bike also wears the front inside pads much quicker then the outside. The bad thing is that you can hardly see the inside pads, while the outside ones look fine.
You may have to pull front wheel to get a good look.