PDA

View Full Version : need help installing ohlin front shock

briana
02-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm installing Ohlins on my 1200ST (i'm sure it's the same for the RT). My problem is torqueing the top nut on the front shock. As you tighten it the shock shaft rotates. The ohlins have two flats cut on the very top of the threaded rod, but it's hard to grab that and tighten the nut. I got it pretty tight but i really have no idea how tight it is. If i could get a socket on the nut and keep the shock from rotating i'd use a torque wrench and be all set.

02-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Do you have space to use a "crow's foot" (it looks like the end of an open end wrench but with a hole for a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive) on your torque wrench, and hold the rod stationary with a second wrench?

briana
02-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I think that's what i'm going to have to try.

Thanks

CHRISM
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I am going to try attaching a link using the BMW MOA system; hope it works:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=372909&Searchpage=1&Main=34654&Words=ChrisM&Search=true#Post372909

parkec
02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
:D :D
I got it pretty tight but i really have no idea how tight it is.

Sounds like a case for Loctite Red. :D

deilenberger
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't suggest Loctite Red - since it requires heat to loosen, and there are rubber bushings right under the nut/washer assembly. I might consider the use of Loctite Green - which is a penetrating locking agent - meant to be used on already tightened fasteners.

And a question/comment: On my Hyperpro shock, I can reach up and grab the shock body to keep it from turning (it mounts with the body UP), or use a thin open-end wrench on the flats on the top of the body (under the mounting point) to keep it from turning, allowing me to use a deep socket to torque the nut. I'm not sure how the Ohlins is designed, but worth looking if it's a body UP design.

cjack
02-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I noticed the last time I bought some, the locktite red came in a blue tube and the locktite blue came in a red tube. I'll have to check out the green.

FredRydr
02-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Talking about Locktite, be aware that the bottom bolt for the front strut has Locktite on it, and the casting must be heated for removal of that bolt, or damage can result.

BTDT :(

Fred

deilenberger
02-27-2009, 05:09 AM
I noticed the last time I bought some, the locktite red came in a blue tube and the locktite blue came in a red tube. I'll have to check out the green.Jack,

I seem to recall it in a green tube, but I could be remembering something else. It does seem odd they can't match the tube to the contents..

lensuz
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
My new shock had a slot for an allen wrench; used to hold the shaft while turning the nut. Was not obvious, perhaps yours does too?