PDA

View Full Version : 2008 R1200GS Adventure Service Schedule

adventurexpress
02-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Can someone direct me to a download containing all of the "current" maintenance schedules for my machine.
Thanks
Karl

podsobinski
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Maintenance-Schedules.pdf

try this

gpodzo

adventurexpress
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
podsobinski...
appreciate the link hoever, thats not the latest version as it doesnt calll for the rear drive fluid change. There should be a set like this available but dated probably in the 4th Qtr of 2008.

Thanks for the try.

Anyone else got the latest version of scheduled maintenance checklist for a 2008 Adventure ??

ghostrider1964
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I checked 4 other forums and all referenced the same service sheet...I am having a friend check a German site.

marchyman
02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Anyone else got the latest version of scheduled maintenance checklist for a 2008 Adventure ??

I think you'll have to ask your dealer for a copy. The copies I've seen came from the RepROM and I don't know how often BMW does RepROM updates. The one I know was made in early 2007.

// marc

adventurexpress
02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
The sheets that everyone seems to have is dated 12.2003 in the lower left corner...and does not call for final drive fluid change. I have had a dealer send me a copy of the latest version of the sheet and it is dated 09.2008and does call for a final drive fluid change at 600mi.

Realizing that there has been updates made to the service/maint. schedule... I was simply wondering if all of the 2008 sheets are available on line somewhere...and the more I think about it... why wouldnt BMW make that a download to make consumers/riders knowledgable of what maint. their machine requires.

An educated consumer is a good consumer ? Treating your customer base like mushrooms is just bad business.

marchyman
02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Realizing that there has been updates made to the service/maint. schedule... I was simply wondering if all of the 2008 sheets are available on line somewhere...and the more I think about it... why wouldnt BMW make that a download to make consumers/riders knowledgable of what maint. their machine requires.

It doesn't necessarily follow that the newest service schedule applies to older bikes. I think (and would like to be corrected if someone knows for sure) that BMW typically specifies updated procedures for updated models. An example of this is the FD drain at the 600 mile service. I don't believe that was ever officially applied to the '05 models (although dealers may have taken that action on their own). Again, I am not 100% sure I'm correct.

This is not a new thing. The service bulletins for my R69S, for example, went as far as specifying the cut off VIN so you knew exactly what bikes got the new procedures. The change to hypoid gear oil in the FD, for example, occurred on R69S with a frame number of 661 445 or later (or FDs that had be re-built using the latest seals).

// marc

Polarbear
02-14-2009, 12:36 AM
My '08 got the FD oil changed at its initial 600 service, by BMW and I have done it since, a few times more myself, as I am a self service owner:). BMW still has the FD oil being changed only ONCE in its lifetime at the above 600, as I've been told by my dealer and reading here on the internet...Many many owners are doing the FD oil changes themselves(at tire change intervals), for whatever reasons. Its a learning curve to do it, so have an experienced owner show you, or tell you how. Once its learned, the proceedure, its a no brainer and takes an hour or less. I'm at 28000 miles. I buy the synthetic FD oil at WalMart for 10$ a quart, 90/140w. Some insist 75/90w...Both work. 235cc is a change for the new FD's and one quart will equal 3 changes+........Randy:usa

adventurexpress
02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
marchyman.... you make a great point.

You would think with todays technology, I could go to the BMW website, type in my VIN and print...1) maintenance service schedule, 2) any tech bulletin notices or recall info., and 3) any history of authenticated BMW performed service to that VIN.

Could the BMWMOA push or advance such a notion with corporate ?

I would like to think that BMW machines are technologically advanced in engineering and manufacturing... and that BMW owners were percieved as more technically advanced than owners of other brands when it came to taking care of the equipment.

This idea would probably further improve the resale value of BMW equipment if potential buyers knew the machines had been serviced and manintained in accordnace with policy. I dont want big brother...but I would like big brother to be more forth coming with information and "after the sale help" w/o involving the dealer that will typically help you if he sees $$$$ in it.

OK ...Im off the box, my apologies.
K

adventurexpress
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
polarbear... right or wrong I subscribe to the way you do things myself. I have found over the years... that if "you take care of the machine...the machine will take care of you".

There is a lot of common sense maintenance that should be done at regular intervals...rather than the min. required....if you expect the machine to last... 2-3-400,000 mi.

thanks for your reply
k

cookie
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
The dealer did my fd service at 600 in June 08 and said "that's it for life". Last month they said BMW says every 2 years or 24k miles now. I'll be changing it at 12k which will be pretty soon. I'll be watching to see what you'all find out in writing.
Where ever you go that's where you'll end up.