PDA

View Full Version : removing minor body trim

indycar
02-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Just wondering if any has removed the smaller trim pieces? I'm thinking of the painted pieces covering the mirror housing and the rear trim that goes from under the seat on back.

I'm pretty sure I can figure out the under the seat pieces, but not so sure about the mirrors. My thought is to 'pop' off the mirror and that will allow access to the nderside of the painted mirror trim. I know they pop off in case of tippage, but not sure if in fact that is the correct way to remove them.

any hints out there?

thanks,

dave

henzilla
02-11-2009, 02:28 AM
If you haven't done it yet....just pull a corner of the mirror, held on by three grommets ... there are two screws holding rear of trim, the front edge goes in a notch.

the rear is pretty easy to remove as well... I believe a screw or two on underside and that one visible one right under the seat

indycar
02-11-2009, 08:06 PM
If you haven't done it yet....just pull a corner of the mirror, held on by three grommets ... there are two screws holding rear of trim, the front edge goes in a notch.

the rear is pretty easy to remove as well... I believe a screw or two on underside and that one visible one right under the seat

Thanks Steve. I held off on the mirrors and under seat. Didn't want to break the mirrors.

Will finish up tonight, thanks again!

LONERANGER
02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Well, I went out in the garage and looked at my mirrors. I tried to pull on the corners and they seem pretty tight. I do not want to break anything. Which corner is the right one to pull on. I am just learning how to work on my RT as I have not had it that long and want to be careful.

henzilla
02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, I went out in the garage and looked at my mirrors. I tried to pull on the corners and they seem pretty tight. I do not want to break anything. Which corner is the right one to pull on. I am just learning how to work on my RT as I have not had it that long and want to be careful.

The bottom outside edge is good, or evenly on the outside edge pulling towards rear of bike...funny, when you don't want these to come off,a slight bump usually dislodges them:doh ...there are three little ball studs on the mounts, the mirror backside has three rubber grommets...a good tug towards the rear of bike from the corner should pop them right off... they sell a little wire to attach as a safety...I have used stainless fishing leaders with eyes in each end about 8" long for same purpose. Buddies LT hitting hard railroad crossing causes his to come off

On the rear pieces...had to go look again,taken the R bikes off a lot, the RT's only once

You have to take the handrails/ tailrack loose as well to free the painted part.

An excellent source for schematic/parts layout is this site...you can plug your VIN # in for specific model info...or a model in general...then BROWSE parts for what you are looking for

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

JK
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Outstanding reference website! Thanks for making my day.

J.K. :wow

henzilla
02-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Outstanding reference website! Thanks for making my day.

J.K. :wow

Found that by luck one day...been using it for a while with no bad part numbers yet.

indycar
02-13-2009, 04:21 PM
For those of you playing at home - I did remove the luggage rack - but perhaps I didn't need to. If removing the luggage rack, in addition to the pair of T27 bolts in plain view on each side of the rack, you'll need to remove the tail light (2 Phillips screws) to gain access to the rear vertically oriented T27 anchoring the luggage rack in the back.

The small rear pieces are a breeze to remove. . .

As Henzilla pointed out, pretty straight forward.

thx