PDA

View Full Version : A Further Question - RT vs GS

SpartySam
02-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Okay, from my prior posting regarding the advantages of the GT relative to the RT, I have gotten strong support (well argued) for the RT (thanks to everyone). Second, question - pros and cons of the RT vs GS (yes, I know that they are different, but I am looking for one good general purpose bike).

Hope to hear from you soon.

Steven A. Melnyk

02-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Hey Steve, it seem we have stirred up things. This is what I was after. I need all the feed back I can get to analyze. If I can make the right decision it may be the bike I keep for quite a while. I appreciate all the information.

Tom

My email is tf-bren@kc.rr.com

marchyman
02-10-2009, 05:42 AM
GS lighter. RT better wind protection. GS easier to maintain (no tuperware removal). RT has cruise control. GS not as expensive to fix when it falls (that tuperware, again). GS more likely to be taken where it may fall. :bolt

I found myself not taking some "iffy" roads when I owned my R1150RT. These are now the roads I look for on my GS. :D

What kind of riding do you do?

// marc

deilenberger
02-10-2009, 01:49 PM
And to toss more in the fire - consider an R1200R. Lighter than the other choices. Lower than the GS. Capable of moderate off-road use (I'll send links if you want). Easily adapted to whatever use you want to use it for - including changing the use on a whim. IMHO it's the best all-round bike BMW makes, and greatly under-rated by the dealers and non R12R riders (you would find R12R riders tend to be real enthusiasts about the bike - doing all sorts of wacky things with them, like riding them..)

PDOGGER
02-11-2009, 01:32 AM
I loved my 1150rt going down the road or in the rain very comfy, but felt like my hands were tied when roads became iffy. The 1200gs is way more fun to ride and with an aeroflow and aftermarket saddle is just about as comfy. Most GS's are kinda like SUV's they don't see alot of off road but when you need it you got it.

GSMan
02-11-2009, 03:11 AM
Marchyman pretty much hit the nail on the head. I agree with his post.
I have a 05 GS1200 and love it. I also just bought a 07 RT1200, I think I will love it too!

02-11-2009, 03:31 AM
My riding has been highway riding. When I have taken off solo I often times head toward Colorado. When riding the mountain highways I'm always wondering what it would be like to take off down one of those forest roads.

I live North of Kansas City and there are a lot of nice local roads and small towns I like to run to. I have talked to people that have ridden all over the country on GS's. And they tell me, as you guys have, they are very comfortable on their GS.

As all the rebuttal comes in I'm thinking a late model GSA with a larger windshield and after market seat (maybe with a back rest) would be as perfect as I'm going to get. After all, they both have basically the same engine and suspension.

I will have to look at the IMHO though.

Thanks for the continued input guys.

Tom B.

henzilla
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM
this recent thread also has thoughts/opinions

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33088

02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Big difference in the suspension -

RT: Front/Rear 4.7 inches / 5.3 inches
GSA: Front/Rear 8.3 inches / 8.7 inches

Ya gotta love travel....:drink

My riding has been highway riding. When I have taken off solo I often times head toward Colorado. When riding the mountain highways I'm always wondering what it would be like to take off down one of those forest roads.

I live North of Kansas City and there are a lot of nice local roads and small towns I like to run to. I have talked to people that have ridden all over the country on GS's. And they tell me, as you guys have, they are very comfortable on their GS.

As all the rebuttal comes in I'm thinking a late model GSA with a larger windshield and after market seat (maybe with a back rest) would be as perfect as I'm going to get. After all, they both have basically the same engine and suspension.

I will have to look at the IMHO though.

Thanks for the continued input guys.

Tom B.