PDA

View Full Version : Lumalink bracket for R1200R

TomBarnhart
02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I am ready to buy the Lumalink, Trail Tech HID light setup for my 2008 R1200R. When I emailed Brian Gordy he said that I needed the diameter of the fork tube. I need someone that has orederd them, or has the tools to do a measurement on the tubes. Mine are somewhat oval shaped, and I assume that the 07, 08, and 09 models all have the same size. The measurement should be taken just above the reflector on the tube. This placement seems to be where others have mounted their brackets.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

deilenberger
02-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Tom,

I'd suggest buying the adjustable clamp model shown in the ad in this month's Owners News. The fork sliders are not only oval, they are tapered in one direction, so the measurements are a bit confusing. James Gordy (Brian's dad, RIP) came up with the split-clamp design to allow for a more univeral fit. He sent me a pair to try on the R1200R - and they worked fine.

BTW - guess who's bike is in the Lumalink ad.. :)

I'd also suggest when you do mount these - that you ask the mounts be made to position the lights below the bracket (unlike what is shown in the ad - that's an older picture..) This avoids any possibility of a clearance problem with the fuel tank (I never had a problem - in about 20k miles - but IF you got the forks fully compressed when hard left or right, besides crashing - the light might hit the tank. Putting the lights below the bracket eliminates this possibility.)

Please ask Brian to contact me if he has any questions - his dad and I spent quite a bit of time (and brackets back and forth) figuring out what works. I'd also suggest the black finish - they look very sharp against the silver fork slider.

HTH!

TomBarnhart
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Don
As always, you are a great help. Many thanks for the info. This is exactly what I wanted. I have some upcoming surgery, and if all is well after that, the light installation will be my post-surgical therapy.

Tom

deilenberger
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Tom,

Best of luck with the surgery, and hope to hear very soon how the brackets worked out for you. If there is anything I can do to help - just let me know.

Don