PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Final Drive Upgrade.

johnv
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I just saw Max BMWÔÇÖs add in the latest BMWON about the 3.0 final drive upgrade for the R1200. Apparently itÔÇÖs for the GS and HP2. IÔÇÖm wondering if it can be applied to the RT. I have always felt that my RT is geared too high, especially 1st gear. IÔÇÖve smoked the clutch more than once trying to get underway on an incline when fully loaded with a pillion. This just might be the solution. Has anybody tried it yet?

Johnv
07 R1200RT

aaaaaa
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I just saw Max BMWÔÇÖs add in the latest BMWON about the 3.0 final drive upgrade for the R1200. Apparently itÔÇÖs for the GS and HP2. IÔÇÖm wondering if it can be applied to the RT. I have always felt that my RT is geared too high, especially 1st gear. IÔÇÖve smoked the clutch more than once trying to get underway on an incline when fully loaded with a pillion. This just might be the solution. Has anybody tried it yet?

Johnv
07 R1200RT

Not me. Wouldn't it change the speedometer calibration? Would the final drive still be subject to failure? What about warranty? Too many issues. I've never smoked the clutch even in San Fransisco.
aaaaaa

fracture
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree that pulling away from a stop is a bit tricky, especially when on a hill or fully loaded. Gearing may be partly to blame but I think the very lean mixture is also a factor. I notice that when the engine is cold, this is not much of an issue due to the richer mixture. When the engine reaches normal temp, then I have more of a problem in 1st gear.

I also notice that it takes a pretty skillful clutch and throttle procedure to minimize the problem. It can be done but I would rather not have to be so skillful. I can't get it right every time.

Before I messed with gearing I would like to try something that would richen the mixture in this operating range. I also have some surging below 2K rpm that I would like to eliminate.

deilenberger
02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Not me. Wouldn't it change the speedometer calibration?
Since the speedo works off the ABS sensor - which reads the teeth on the crown wheel I believe - probably not, but I could be wrong on that.

Would the final drive still be subject to failure?
I can't see any reason this would change the failure rate.. and the newer drives with the 600 mile service have not experienced failures much at all. I think it would be a non-issue.

What about warranty?
If it was installed by a dealer - it's BMW parts done by BMW mechanics. Can't see it would change the warranty coverage at all (and BMW parts and labor normally has a 2-year warranty anyway..)

Too many issues. I've never smoked the clutch even in San Fransisco.
aaaaaaI have gotten used to the tall 1st gear on my R12R and it generally isn't an issue, but I can still experience a bit of anxiety when getting to an off-camber uphill left turn with limited visibility. That's when a lower 1st gear might be nice..

02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Sounds interesting, but doesn't the GS line have different transmission ratios from the rest of the Rs? (I would imagine wider ratios in a GS, and closer ones in a street or sport model).

02-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Question for Don please. My '07RT has a build date of 4/07 and had the final drive changed at 1000km and trouble free to date. So to your point, and to your knowledge, are the failures pretty much limited to the 'older' bikes? Are you or other readers aware of '08/09s still failing? Thanks eh.

deilenberger
02-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Question for Don please. My '07RT has a build date of 4/07 and had the final drive changed at 1000km and trouble free to date. So to your point, and to your knowledge, are the failures pretty much limited to the 'older' bikes? Are you or other readers aware of '08/09s still failing? Thanks eh.It appears the lack of failures that is becoming more obvious.

I know of one rear-drive failure of a bike that had the 600 mile oil change of the rear drive. There may be more - but last time I asked here that was the only one. AFAIK - the R1200R group I'm active with (that has quite a few active members) has had NO rear-drive failures. All R1200R's fall into the range of bikes which would have had the oil change, and also have what we have heard was a modified bearing in the rear drive.

In the absence of failures - I'm inclined to think BMW has it fixed now. But that could always change..

Texpaul
02-05-2009, 02:12 PM
A local independent shop, Rhinewest BMW here in San ANtonio, was doing 3.0 rearend conversions before they got out of the MC business. They had a '05 GS with the conversion. Early GS's have very high gearing and the conversion was popular among advnture riders because it made the bike much more ridable in the slow stuff. I rode the bike once and it was impressive. Much easier to take off from a stop. But, you had to be careful about gassing it in slow speed corners until you got used to the gearing. The change, about 6% from a 2.82 rearend, upped RPM's at a given speed by about 250rpm.
When I inquired about the conversion on my '05 GS they said it did not require a different speedo sensor ring but that on later GS's it did require a change in the ring. Something was changed in the later bikes regarding the sensor ring and that required the mod but I don't know the details.
In theory the change should be applicable to any Hexhead since they all use the same basic rear end design.

Tom K.
02-08-2009, 11:33 PM
A switch from the OEM R1200RT 2.62 final drive to a 3.00 would be a 14% difference. So engine revs @ 65 mph in top gear would go from 3,500 to about 4,000.

Think I'll stick with the stock gearing on my RT as it allows relaxed cruising at highway speeds and great fuel mileage.
Tom

TomR1200
02-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Interesting...

The R12R is 2.75, the R12RT is 2.62, and the R12GS is 2.82? They really are particular about the ratios they select.