PDA

View Full Version : How to remove/repair scratches in pannier

crich29403
02-04-2009, 03:34 AM
So it happened. From an absolute stand still in a parking lot I kicked the stand down with my left foot and began to lean the bike over. Just then I noticed that the stand didn't go all the way down and, well, in slow motion, I laid her down on her left side. Once that R1200RT gets a few inches off center it's really heavy and hard to stand up again. Boy I feel like an idiot. I've read for years now how this happens to folks but I never thought it would happen to me - oh well, now I'm a statistic I guess.

What do I do now with the scratches? My bike is the Blue and the white scratches really show up well. I have no experience buffing out scratches so any help would be appreciated.

Can I buy just the new cover without replacing the whole pannier? What would that part be called/part number?

Thanks, Jason

marchyman
02-04-2009, 04:12 AM
This might be your color:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=48423&btnr=51_6415&hg=51&fg=20

Item number 11.

Or if you're not in California your dealer may be able to supply you with the appropriate color touch-up paint.

// marc

henzilla
02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the site Jason,

previous discussion and options... Sorry it happened...but it does

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31002&highlight=side+case+scratched

lfranklin
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I took mine to an auto body repair shop. Cleaned it up, repainted + clear coat, less than $100. Then went and had the 3M clear shield installed on both sides, front and top of saddlebags. Might have been an overkill, but when it's new we do crazy things. I'm happy and now I am really careful about making sure the stand is down and the bike is in 1st gear.

Leon Franklin
2008 Beige RT

RandyW
02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Cheap way is touch up paint. Never is perfect but at least it's close. Hate to say it but probably not the last scratches you will get. Perfect way is an auto body shop, more expensive but they know what they are doing.

Don't worry about the turn over, it happens. I did you one better, turned my GSA over on the stand, only the opposite direction. Long story but basically parked on uneven ground sloping away from the stand. Loading the bags and duffel on the rack and when I pushed down on the duffel to hook up the straps over she went. Felt like an idiot because I knew the ground was sloping and knew the bike was not stable, glad no one was around to see it. Funny thing was I had just installed the Adventure Designs aux cylinder protection bars the day before. Good part was they worked nicely keeping the bike off the cylinder, bad part was the bike went way over because of them. Darn thing nearly stood on it's head. And yes, it was a real bear to get it back up by myself.

leadfoot
02-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Dropped mine the same way last weekend. I have gotten used to just kicking the stand down and getting off the bike. This time it either did not go all the way, or I kicked it too hard and it came back some. I just got off the bike and let go....then just helplessley watched her go to the concrete. After the initial shock, I inspected it and all I damaged was the pannier. It could have been worse if not for the Touratech engine guards that I installed a month ago. I think they just about paid for themselves with that one fall. Oh well, a few more scratches and I will paint it white. Guess I was not really upset because I am lucky enough to be a auto body/paint hobbiest. Mine is Blue also, and went to the primer. That white you saw was the primer, or silver base under the blue. It cannot be rubbed out, and probably the best fix is going to be just remove the cover and have the whole thing painted. I think that even a good shop will have a hard time blending that color, and it would be easier to just do an overall re-paint.

At least I finally got that first scratch out of the way!:cry

Newstar
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
The bags for my 650 GS were so cheaply made that they would dent if you looked at them too hard. I solved that problem with Linex. Since then, Linex has done a fantastic job with color matching paint so those of you with painted bags can stil have them match. They will be 1000% more durable but just won't have a smooth finish.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/novacich/linex1.jpg

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/novacich/linex2.png

Polarbear
02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
The F650 with Linex looks really better than the stock system, imo. I know its got to be tougher. The F650 lends itself well to this, where road bikes like RT's,etc. would not go for this. Randy

hlothery
02-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Tracy, what a great idea!!!:thumb

FredRydr
02-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Once that R1200RT gets a few inches off center it's really heavy and hard to stand up again.
Let it go, and don't try to stop it. Figure out the pick-up technique afterward. Your back is a lot more expensive than paint, plus it has to last the rest of your life.

I simply repaint the lids, but mine are non-metallic black which makes it a lot easier.

Fred

EXPATRIATED
02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
So it happened. From an absolute stand still in a parking lot I kicked the stand down with my left foot and began to lean the bike over. Just then I noticed that the stand didn't go all the way down and, well, in slow motion, I laid her down on her left side. Once that R1200RT gets a few inches off center it's really heavy and hard to stand up again. Boy I feel like an idiot. I've read for years now how this happens to folks but I never thought it would happen to me - oh well, now I'm a statistic I guess.

What do I do now with the scratches? My bike is the Blue and the white scratches really show up well. I have no experience buffing out scratches so any help would be appreciated.

Can I buy just the new cover without replacing the whole pannier? What would that part be called/part number?

Thanks, Jason

I don't have much to offer except condolences. I did the same thing with the same color RT on Christmas Day---in the garage! :blush I've been riding for 10 years and never could figure out how someone could drop a bike....

I'm planning on having my top case (49L) painted blue to match this summer. I'm hoping to ask them do the left pannier at the same time--maybe give me a discount (I hope). Kinda like, while you're painting anyway...

You didn't mention the valve covers--do you have them protected? I had installed the touratech metal guards on mine before the fall so of that I'm happy. Cosmetic is cosmetic but I'm worried about really expensive repairs to the engine area more than I am about the scratches.

indycar
02-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Let it go, and don't try to stop it. Figure out the pick-up technique afterward. Your back is a lot more expensive than paint, plus it has to last the rest of your life.

I simply repaint the lids, but mine are non-metallic black which makes it a lot easier.

Fred

Just picked up pieces from the body shop today . .
Yea - I let mine fall while loading it up on a trailer. Got real lucky - panniers were off and the Hawks eagle pegs protected the engine (at least they're good for that!). Ended up with a decent scratch on the angled upper side panel (with the Roundel on it) and a lower sliver piece. Also had the other side pannier painted, as it was scratched when I bought the bike.

Turns out >according to the body shop< that even though I provided them with the BWM color and code, BMW doesn't give out the needed code??? I have the dark granite metallic (946). They said they took a pic of it and it would match great.

The pieces ended up being considerably more metallic (which I think looks better). So now what to do. It wasn't cheap - $225 for 3 pieces. They want to try again, but part of me wants to have the rest of it painted with the additional metallic. Perhaps i can get a deal - whatever that means.

I think with your blue it should be much easier to match the paint if you decide to go that route. I have read of others who had perfect matches with the photo match.

Also, I keep my panniers off the bike unless I need them on. The bike looks fine w/o them and . . . accidents do happen. . . . why risk the exposure if not needed.

here is a link that lists BMW paint codes:http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/blues.htm

dumfounded
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
If you want to DIY, you can get matched paint from Color Rite: http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=713032&CFTOKEN=97493367. Sand down the scratches, primer, paint, clear coat, and wet sand to blend in. Some rubbing compound and a good wax and no one will know the difference. By the time you buy all the supplies, you probably could have gone to a shop, but at least you've got everything on-hand for next time!

crich29403
02-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks to everyone - some really great ideas and comments.

1) It's just nice to know this has happened to others. Kicking down that kickstand is automatic - like turning on your blinker in the car - you don't really think about it. Now I make sure it's down before leaning it over.
2) I did put on the BMW cylinder head covers myself just after purchasing the bike and yes, they are now scratched up a bit - I guess those just paid for themselves!
3) My top case is also that grey color that doesn't match the saddles so as commeted by "Expatriated" I too will have my 49L top case painted blue the same time I take the saddle lid in to get re-pained.

And that's what I'll do, take it in to get done at a body shop. Sounds like doing it myself is either too hard or might end up costing the same.

Thanks for the paint color sites.

"lfranklin" - can you give me some more info on the "3M Clear Shield" you talked about? Is that available specific to a bike model or does it come in a sheet that you need to cut-to-size and stick on?

Jason

leadfoot
02-18-2009, 02:05 AM
A note about a photo match. Many folks think that a photo is taken, then a formula for the paint is generated and mixed for an exact match. When my Biarittz Blue bag was shot so that I could match some Dupont for my trunk, the photo generated a code that produced the closest match or matches of a formula that could be mixed from that brand. If you have this done, be sure that it is not done outside, rather bring a part into the store, let it cool to room temp, and let them take the pic. This will produce a better match.

I had to do this because Dupont does not have the BMW Bike codes in their mixing matrix, so basically we found a close match. If it is close, a good painter can alter the paint using air pressure and gun distance to acheive a good match to your existing paint. Make sure he has a factory painted part on hand to use for a guide. In my case I should have stopped with two light coats of Blue basecoat, instead, in my pursuit to acheive good coverage I put enough blue until it looked right, then shot the clear. The trunk actually came out a little darker than the factory paint, and in my opinion better. If the angle of the factory paint is caught in the light correctly, I can see fog spots, basically a standard production procedure that is intended to put enough paint on to achieve the desired color, but no more than was actually needed, saving money in the long run. I think that if the factory had made one more pass with the basecoat it would have matched my newly painted trunk. Either way the mis-match was my fault for shooting it to what I thought looked good instead of the original appearance.

I say that to say this........:type .........unless you can get some paint that can be matched to the bike's code (Glasurit I beleive), make sure you have a good painter that has a talent for blending paint or spot painting, or just go ahead and shoot the whole bike if you are painting most of it.

I dropped mine Superbowl Sunday (in front of a brutally cruel audience). Luckily I had Touratech bars for the engine, but the lower pannier took a hit. I am planning on just buying the protectors and not even trying to match it. They should cover the scratches, or they would not have worked anyway, IMO.

lfranklin
02-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Jason

The folks at X-pel had a kit that included the front & I believe the top. They made a pattern and cut and installed the material for the sides. I have a 08 R1200RT. Look up xpel paint protection on google for more info.

Leon