PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender

Vicrick
02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I would like to buy a battery tender however,I'm a little confused. Battery tender makes two types of tenders,Model 128 is for most batteries, and model 156 is only for gel batteries. My question is if I buy the 128 will it stilol do the gel or do I have to buy the gel model only. Any help I can get on this I would greatly appreciate. Oh, my bike is a r1200 RT.
Thanks,
Rich

r11rs94
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I would like to buy a battery tender however,I'm a little confused. Battery tender makes two types of tenders,Model 128 is for most batteries, and model 156 is only for gel batteries. My question is if I buy the 128 will it stilol do the gel or do I have to buy the gel model only. Any help I can get on this I would greatly appreciate. Oh, my bike is a r1200 RT.
Thanks,
Rich

Hi Vicrick, welcome aboard. Front how it was explained to me was that the 156 should be used on a gel battery, but can also be use on all other types as the 128 which should not be used on a gel. I hope this helps. :thumb

CDNBKR
02-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Not sure about the numbers, but I use the Battery Tender Plus for RT1200 and it works great.

bmwmick
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks,
Rich

Rich,
Get the #128. You do not have a GEL battery, you have an AGM battery.

TANDEMGEEK
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Get the #128. You do not have a GEL battery, you have an AGM battery.

Just some food for thought for anyone who may not be the original owner of their machine.

When I bought my '03 R11S last month one of the first things I did was to figure out where the battery was to confirm its age, type and -- most of all -- to hook up the power leads for my Gerbings. Everything I read in the specs suggested I'd find a lead-acid battery under the plastics so I figured I'd be all set to wire up my trusty old Battery Tender Plus while I was in there.

Son-of-a-gun, much to my surprise I discovered the original battery had been replaced with a BMW Gel-type back in May '06. Based on that discovery and some homework, I determined my 9-year old Battery Tender Plus (DEL-021-0128) was not the 'best choice' for a Gel battery. So, I ordered up the "correct" charger, a Battery Tender Plus Gel (Model DEL-021-0156).

Moral of the story: Be careful about assuming too much on previously owned machines. I'm not sure if the 0128 BT Plus would have created any major issues with the BMW Gel battery but why tempt fate.

westhautianplen
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks,
Rich

Vicrick,
Welcome, I read your post and was not sure of the difference between a gel and AGM battery. So I did a search to be better informed. If you get a chance I have posted a link to an article on batteries, it helped me.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Donster
08-04-2009, 01:20 AM
As one completely devoid of electrical knowledge, please forgive the following question if it's been asked and answered: I use a Battery Tender Plus on my R1150R, plugged into the accessory socket with a BMW pigtail. Can I use this same setup on my 2007 R1200RT?

kwillsey
08-04-2009, 02:27 AM
I use a Battery Tender Plus on my R1150R, plugged into the accessory socket with a BMW pigtail. Can I use this same setup on my 2007 R1200RT?

Because of the CAN-Bus magic on the R12RT, I believe your choices are: a) use the special charger from BMW that knows how to signal the bike computer to let it charge through the accessory socket, or b) connect a pigtail directly to the battery for charging.

I'm still uncertain on the Gel vs AGM bit... when I bought the bike ('09 R1200RT) the dealer told me it had a Gel battery, while my riding buddy told me it was an AGM. Searching the various forums (forii?) I find some posts saying it is AGM and some saying it is Gel. And whichever it is, how much does it matter? If it is AGM and I use the Gel version of the Battery Tender Plus (or vice versa) will it hurt the battery?

Mudbug
08-04-2009, 02:27 AM
You can use a battery charger designed for gel batteries to charge gel batteries and non-gel batteries. If the battery charger is not designed for a gel battery, you should not use it to charge a gel battery.

As one completely devoid of electrical knowledge, please forgive the following question if it's been asked and answered: I use a Battery Tender Plus on my R1150R, plugged into the accessory socket with a BMW pigtail. Can I use this same setup on my 2007 R1200RT?

According to BMW no. If you have the BMW battery charger specifically designed for charging a CAN-BUS bike through a accessory port connected to the CAN-BUS (part # 71607688865, cost around $160), you may do so without potential harm to your ZFE control unit. If the charger is not designed for use with a BMW CAN-BUS bike (not part # 71607688865), BMW instructs you to completely disconnect that battery from the bike, even suggesting its removal from the bike to charge it. Gel batteries should not be charged with this BMW battery charger (part#71607688865) at all.
Max BMW explanation of charging BMW batteries. (http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/service/batteries.html)

Donster
08-04-2009, 10:54 AM
You can use a battery charger designed for gel batteries to charge gel batteries and non-gel batteries. If the battery charger is not designed for a gel battery, you should not use it to charge a gel battery.

According to BMW no. If you have the BMW battery charger specifically designed for charging a CAN-BUS bike through a accessory port connected to the CAN-BUS (part # 71607688865, cost around $160), you may do so without potential harm to your ZFE control unit. If the charger is not designed for use with a BMW CAN-BUS bike (not part # 71607688865), BMW instructs you to completely disconnect that battery from the bike, even suggesting its removal from the bike to charge it. Gel batteries should not be charged with this BMW battery charger (part#71607688865) at all.
Max BMW explanation of charging BMW batteries. (http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/service/batteries.html)

Thanks. Great info. Looks like $160 is going to my local dealer's retirement fund. Oh well. It's been a few days since I last made a contribution.

kwillsey
08-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Thank you :)

Donster
08-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Stopped by the dealer this evening to look into buying a charger for my R1200RT. The tech told me I should just use a pigtail to charge the battery directly with my Battery Tender Plus, and bypass the CANBUS creature altogether. It's going in for service on Saturday, so while it's there they are going to install the pigtail and put the end in some secure but more or less out-of-sight position. The tech said the CANBUS can sometimes end the charging process early. I figure, why disturb the CANBUS creature?

papasong
08-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Stopped by the dealer this evening to look into buying a charger for my R1200RT. The tech told me I should just use a pigtail to charge the battery directly with my Battery Tender Plus, and bypass the CANBUS creature altogether. It's going in for service on Saturday, so while it's there they are going to install the pigtail and put the end in some secure but more or less out-of-sight position. The tech said the CANBUS can sometimes end the charging process early. I figure, why disturb the CANBUS creature?

This is how I have my R1200R set up... pigtail directly connected to the battery. Then hook up the Battery Tender Plus to the pigtail.

FUNRIDE
08-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I use a Battery Tender with a "pig tail" directly to the battery and it works fine. A lot less money than going the BMW charger route.

bjhughes
08-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I use a Battery Tender with a "pig tail" directly to the battery and it works fine. A lot less money than going the BMW charger route.

Sort of the same here...

I wired up a second Powerlet outlet (BMW style socket) on the left side. I then went to Sears and picked up one of their battery tender clones (Diehard) for $10 on sale.

Come to think of it, I have never used the BMW-provided power socket on the right side.

DrCiao
08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Is it o.k. to pull the battery out of my '05 RT and charge it with my old car battery charger, set on 2 amp trickle charge?

marchyman
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
You may get away with doing that. Or you may cook your battery. 2 amps is not a "trickle" to small motorcycle batteries.

If I had a dead battery and that was my only charger I'd give it a try for no more than the amount of time in hours calculated as the rated amp-hour of the battery/2 amps. I would not use such a charger for battery maintenance.

I'm a wimp that way.