PDA

View Full Version : 09 GSA Seat Recomendations

01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, I finally pulled the trigger on a new GSA and pick it up tomorrow. :dance I know the seat is marginal and IÔÇÖll need to improve it, especially the passenger seat if I want my wife to join me on any extended rides. I was leaning toward a Russell with a custom back rest for the top bag. Anyone have experience with a Russell on a GS or have any other good seat recommendations? Thanks!

bobbobtar
01-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I have his seats on my '07 R1200RT best bang for buck.
GreatDayToRide.com

MrGrocer
01-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok, I finally pulled the trigger on a new GSA and pick it up tomorrow. :dance I know the seat is marginal and IÔÇÖll need to improve it, especially the passenger seat if I want my wife to join me on any extended rides. I was leaning toward a Russell with a custom back rest for the top bag. Anyone have experience with a Russell on a GS or have any other good seat recommendations? Thanks!

As always, I'll recommend you try the GSA stock seat first. Its actually pretty nice. Russell saddles are super nice custom options and you can't go wrong there. I'm very fortunate, The Sargent touring saddle fits me like a glove, right out of the box, so I use it.

mistercindy
01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
As always, I'll recommend you try the GSA stock seat first. Its actually pretty nice. Russell saddles are super nice custom options and you can't go wrong there. I'm very fortunate, The Sargent touring saddle fits me like a glove, right out of the box, so I use it.
I'll second that recommendation to give the stocker a try it for a couple thousand miles first. And do at least one good 300 or 400 mile day on the stocker. Then, if it sucks, pay $40 or so for some beads at beadrider.com to see if that helps. Russells are expensive so give a cheaper alternative a try first.

As for me, my stocker (GS, not GSA) hurt after less than an hour of riding, and after a couple hundred miles it was pure torture. I tried it for around 3,000 miles and a couple of good 300+ mile rides before I gave up on it. I bought a Sargent which was a huge improvement. But even the Sargent started to get uncomfortable after five or six hours, so I put some beads on it and now my ass is great for 400 mile+ days.

But, if I were to do it over, I'd order a Russell before getting the Sargent. The reason I didn't was that I didn't want to be without a seat for the time needed for Russell to do his work. If I were doing Iron Butt stuff I'd still probably send my stocker off to Russell. But for a "one size fits all" seat, the Sargent is darn good, and you never have to be without a saddle.

But do give the stocker a chance. Lots of folks get along just fine with the stock seats.

coalminer
01-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I second the recommendation to give the stock seat a try for a few miles. My 08 GSA seat was OK from the start but it seemed I was always sliding forward. I solved the problem by setting the front of the seat in the high position, the rear of the seat in the low position. BMW recommends against this, probably for good reason, but it hasn't been a problem so far. After about 3500 miles I have adjusted somewhat to the stock seat...

01-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Any of you guys ride often with your significant other? I'm more concerned with her comfort than mine.... I was looking at an airhawk seat cushion for both the passenger seat and to attach one to the rear box for a back rest... Any thoughts?

bikerfish1100
01-31-2009, 12:38 PM
also consider the type of riding you're going to be doing. the Russell would likely be superior if this bike is mostly a "traditional" (paved roads) touring mount, but its wide thigh wings would not be as desired if its more of a back road/dirt road machine. then you might prefer a Sargent or a Rick Mayer. but as stated- try the stocker first. the seat has to be good for YOUR butt, not some other guys- and you might find the stock unit is just peachy for ya.

ton123
01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Same problem here and the Air Hawk has been a solution.

01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Same problem here and the Air Hawk has been a solution.

For the passenger?

RandyW
02-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Any of you guys ride often with your significant other? I'm more concerned with her comfort than mine.... I was looking at an airhawk seat cushion for both the passenger seat and to attach one to the rear box for a back rest... Any thoughts?

I can only echo give it a try, adding let her give it a try. I'm happy with the stock seat on my 07 but my first thought looking at the passenger seat was that the wife was not going to be pleased. Ended up after quite a bit of two up riding with her actually saying that it was very comfortable. I also looked at some back rests which at first she liked the look of, but after some time on the bike she vetoed the idea saying she didn't need one and it would make it harder to get on the bike. Her only complaint is the climb to get on the bike.

02-03-2009, 11:36 PM

I've done custom seats but my experience with my 08 GSA was that wearing LD Comfort shorts under my riding gear changed it from a 300 mile seat to a 700 mile seat - for both me and my wife. I would recommend trying the LD Comfort Shorts before buying a new seat because they're comparatively cheap and they will add to your comfort even if you later get an aftermarket seat. I have no affiliation with them, but I think they are a great product that makes riding much more comfortable. They advertise in the Owner's News, page 37 of the Feb. issue.
www.LDComfort.com