PDA

View Full Version : Centech Fuse Block

reimerdavid
01-28-2009, 09:58 PM
My Spring project is to installe a Centech fuse block on my 2007 R1200RT. My question is were can I tap into the bikes wiring for a power line and how identifly the wire ??

Thanks in Advance, Dave

JRussell
01-29-2009, 01:03 AM
The fuse block is used to isolate additional electrical hookups from your CanBus wiring system. Wire the panel directly to your battery.

akbeemer
01-29-2009, 01:25 AM
My Spring project is to installe a Centech fuse block on my 2007 R1200RT. My question is were can I tap into the bikes wiring for a power line and how identifly the wire ??

Thanks in Advance, Dave

Dave,

I think you are asking where to attach the relay to a switched circuit so that the fuse block is switched. I hooked mine to one of the marker lights in the front nacelle. Cannot remember what it looked like, but if you use a meter you can find it or other options. Others use the the power wire to the rear aux plug. I think this is switched and offers a delay before the power goes off when the key is turned off. I have a 98% confidence that that last sentence is mostly accurate. Others will correct me if I'm befuddled.

PDOGGER
01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html This Link will answer your questions with instructions and Pictorial.

westhautianplen
01-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Thanks in Advance, Dave
Dave,
I located my fuse block under the seat. I first made a square base for the Centech unit out of 1/4" Lexan about 1/4 wider than the fuse block. You could use any type of acrylic plastic. (I purchase the Lexan at a local glass repair shop) Drilled holes in the Lexan and used flat head screws (#6 x 1/2" I will check the screw size and update you) Note: I used a counter sink to allow the heads to be flush on the bottom. Then used 2 ÔÇ£wide hook & loop material ÔÇ£VelcroÔÇØ, (I Bought the 3M Velcro at True Value hardware, the 3M Company makes a product that adheres very well.) I attached one side of the Velcro to the Lexan base plate and the other side to the top side of the rear fender as near to the front as possible. Note: Before you mount Velcro and the fuse block to the fender. Install your wiring. This will allows enough space to not make contact with the seat and yet be able to terminate future wiring if necessary. I wired my fuse block directly to the battery. My reason to wire it hot is so I could supply power to my ZUMO550 from it and not have it shut off each time I stop. I also have a SAE connector to plug in a Battery Tender through it. I used one of the fuse links for my aux. PIAA's and another for an Air Horn. Note: The horn and Lights have their own relays and each have a switch lead that I recommend be from the cam bus switched power. I supplied power to these from the auxiliary plug just in front of the original horn; it is a spare that is tywrapped to the frame. I will take a couple of pictures and try to post them to help with the visual. (I have not posted pictures yet so there may be a small learning curve to negotiate.)
If you do a search under Centech or fuse block there have been numerous threads addressing the subject.

Have fun. :thumb

SilverRT
01-30-2009, 03:30 AM
If you have the Sergent seats and want to add the Centech the only place to mount it is in the rear. But if you have an alarm back there that creates another problem. This is what I did:

This is 1/4 inch plexiglass cut to fit behind the seat bracket and held on with velcro

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd221/mgnksn/BMW%20R1200RT/2008_12190035.jpg

I bolted the fuse block with SS bolts. I stacked the Autocom on top of the garage door opener using velcro

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd221/mgnksn/BMW%20R1200RT/2008_12190033.jpg

The seat just clears the Centech but you can still reach the box.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd221/mgnksn/BMW%20R1200RT/2009_01260005.jpg

There is room for the relay under the seat if your careful.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd221/mgnksn/BMW%20R1200RT/2009_01260013.jpg

westhautianplen
01-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Dave,
I located my fuse block under the seat. I first made a square base for the Centech unit out of 1/4" Lexan about 1/4 wider than the fuse block. You could use any type of acrylic plastic. (I purchase the Lexan at a local glass repair shop) Drilled holes in the Lexan and used flat head screws (#6 x 1/2" I will check the screw size and update you) Note: I used a counter sink to allow the heads to be flush on the bottom. Then used 2 ÔÇ£wide hook & loop material ÔÇ£VelcroÔÇØ, (I Bought the 3M Velcro at True Value hardware, the 3M Company makes a product that adheres very well.) I attached one side of the Velcro to the Lexan base plate and the other side to the top side of the rear fender as near to the front as possible. Note: Before you mount Velcro and the fuse block to the fender. Install your wiring. This will allows enough space to not make contact with the seat and yet be able to terminate future wiring if necessary. I wired my fuse block directly to the battery. My reason to wire it hot is so I could supply power to my ZUMO550 from it and not have it shut off each time I stop. I also have a SAE connector to plug in a Battery Tender through it. I used one of the fuse links for my aux. PIAA's and another for an Air Horn. Note: The horn and Lights have their own relays and each have a switch lead that I recommend be from the cam bus switched power. I supplied power to these from the auxiliary plug just in front of the original horn; it is a spare that is tywrapped to the frame. I will take a couple of pictures and try to post them to help with the visual. (I have not posted pictures yet so there may be a small learning curve to negotiate.)
If you do a search under Centech or fuse block there have been numerous threads addressing the subject.

Have fun. :thumb

Here is a picture