PDA

View Full Version : Replacing right low beam - 06 RT

tbryant
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I know there's a trick to replacing right side. Sounds like some of you are replacing fairly often.

Terry

hlothery
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Recommend replacing both at the same time, as the other will fail shortly. The port, which is just barely too small for your hand to fit in, just twists out. I use a long hemostat clamp to both retrieve and replace the bulb. You have to just reach in and undo/reconnect the electrical fitting, and then release and reattach the little clamp which holds the bulb in. It is not technically difficult, but your dexterity and patience will both be tested. Good luck!

Motorwerk
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Remove the mirror, it can help get more light in there to see. And you can also try accessing it from the front of the bike as others have had success with this approach.

roborider
01-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I have changed mine twice. It is not easy! I have small hands and I can get in there and do it by feel. I have a mirror set up so I can see the front of the light to help guide it in. It is still work. If you have big hands, maybe a skilled kid is the way to go.

SilverRT
01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
If you remove the front top panel (4 screws) and mirror and you don't have a radio the hole where the lower speeker would go allows you to use two hands. That way you have a better chance to remove the connector without breaking it and loosing the retainer. The other side is easier and I always replace both. Make sure you place the bulb in the same position.

gened12
01-29-2009, 03:39 AM
Replace the bulbs in a comfy place and get yourself a couple of cold beers handy. That will mellow out the frustrating experience and dull the pain on your fingers and hand when they get scratched up in the process.

cheers

Denis R1200RT

dlowry
02-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Since I seem to be replacing mine every-other year, I found removing the mirror definitely helped a ton. The beer suggestion is good, unless it fails on the road for you.

markgoodrich
02-02-2009, 03:47 AM
No, no, no, none of those suggestions is right. You need a pack of cheap cigarettes and a small monkey. Monkeys'll do anything for cigarettes. Just a little training, and you're set. Don't forget to buy Pampers. And go ahead and pull the drapes down, they're not going to last anyway.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j236/queenbetty/smoking_monkey.jpg

Without the monkey, this is what it's like:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j236/queenbetty/tbrn88l.jpg

rts4me
02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I replaced mine in the garden of a French hotel last year!:cry It's not easy! I have big hands and ended up taking the mirror and RH side fairing panel off for better access.

You will need:

a new bulb
lots of beer
lots of patience
elastoplast
a swear box
a small child with double-jointed wrists

DO NOT ATTEMPT IN THE DARK! (DAMHIK):cry :D

hlothery
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Now, I'll bet this is a good story!!!:D

rts4me
02-02-2009, 10:03 PM
er, yeah................................it was still light when I started!!!:D :D :D

greenwald
02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
er, yeah................................it was still light when I started!!!:D :D :D

Most likely, dawn.

pjones7552
02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Take off both mirrors, both top side panels, and instrument panel cover. Replace all three bulbs. Reassemble knowing they are all fresh.

It will take less time to do it that way than trying to squeeze through the openings available by not taking them off.

tf1200rt
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I replaced my left side bulb by feel. The right side required me using a piece of tubing around the end of the bulb to hold it in place. did not have to remove the mirrors.

gulfcoastbeemer
02-07-2009, 12:41 AM
My wife and I both have R1200RTs and I have changed a lot of bulbs. And, the right bulb is the worst.

What I do that might be a little different is I use a Hemostat, if available, or a simple clothes pin, to grasp one of the bulb contact tangs. This does two things: it keeps my fingers off the glass and extends my reach.

Next, I insert the bulb into socket while peering through the front of the headlamp lens.

With the lamp base alignment tab in place (pointing up, I believe), I slip the spring-wire bail down and into the locking notch -- viola!

Careful replacing (or removing) the flimsy wiring socket. They break if you look at them the wrong way.

Artiee
02-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Why should doing it in the dark matter? You have to do it all by feel anyway!

:nyah

(at least for the right-side low beam).