PDA

View Full Version : Helibar risers for the R1200S

samburnett
01-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I just installed a pair of helibar risers for my R1200S. I was skeptical before installation. I wanted to improve the sport touring capabilities of the bike, but did not want to adversely affect the handling during track days. I am impressed after installation. I did a quick 100 mile ride and the difference is remarkable. Helibar designed these to fit perfectly. There is no need for any modification. I hope to do a track day soon to test them there. I am not an advanced rider on the track; therefore, I do not anticipate any problems. Helibar offers a 30 day money back policy, so if you do not like them, it is easy to put the stock bars back on.

http://samburnett.smugmug.com/photos/461682330_qyvXQ-L.jpg

http://samburnett.smugmug.com/photos/461681926_fq6Kj-L.jpg

AZ-J
01-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Where did you get them, pray tell? From another R1200S rider.

samburnett
01-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I found them at my local dealer, Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC. Joey is the parts manager and he is very helpful. Any Helibar dealer can order them for you. Sierra BMW out of Nevada has them listed in their online catalog. Hope that this helps.

AZ-J
01-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I found them at my local dealer, Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC. Joey is the parts manager and he is very helpful. Any Helibar dealer can order them for you. Sierra BMW out of Nevada has them listed in their online catalog. Hope that this helps.

The latter piece of info helps quite a bit. Thank you.

GORDON1200
01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Sam, thanks for posting these! Had Heli's on my prior VFR, great quality and kit. After riding the 1200s for sometime now, I find the stock bars much more comfortable than I ever would have first admitted. Now having these, how do these differ to the stockers in your thoughts Sam? (Less neck pain, wrist pain etc?) Lastly, if you use a tankbag do they cause any interference? Sorry for all the questions but always looking for comfort improvements for those long rides. Cheers!

samburnett
01-27-2009, 12:03 PM
The helibars reduce the discomfort at the base of my neck. This is only a problem on all day rides, ie 350 to 500 miles per day. I have never had back pain. Because the bars create more room between me and the tank, the tank bag that I use fits even better. The tank bag is chicane and it is smaller than the BMW tank bag.

bjhughes
01-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm going to give them a try as well. I ordered on-line directly from the Helibars site. Thanks for posting it up.

bjhughes
02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Update...got the helibars, installed them, rode it yesterday.

I really like them. Provides just a little better riding position. I still need to do a minor adjustment/rotation of the throttle assembly (kill switch hits the windscreen on full left lock), but that's easy enough to adjust.

Overall, very happy with the change.