PDA

View Full Version : ESA Problem

rangerreece
01-24-2009, 02:30 AM
Anyone out there with the ESA option experience anything like this?

I've recently started riding 2 up, and started using the ESA to adjust the shock tension from 1 up to 2 up. I have encountered a potential maintenance issue that may have to be alleviated at the dealership but I thought I would vet it here on the site first, because I'm awed by the amount of knowledge that I find on the site.
ISSUE: When going from 1 up to 2 up or 1 up with luggage, the icon's on the MFD during the change no longer flash, and the shock isn't moving. I suspect the electric drive motor has gone out. Has anyone else experienced this issue if so: was there a simple fix, and what may have caused the damage if it is the motor, (excessive weight on the spring when going from one up to two up, i.e. both riders on board when selecting 2 up from a 1 up position, or inadvertently attempting to make the adjustment on the go) Any experience anyone has on this subject would be greatly appreciated before I head to the dealer or start searching for a new motor on line.

v/r
reece

Tom K.
01-24-2009, 08:16 PM
While I've read of others who had this problem solved with a software re-flash, it required a replacement of the rear shock on my '06 RT. Luckily the $1,700 shock (parts price only), installation and software update was covered under warranty - and I've now purchased an extended warranty, just in case.

After riding 2-up with my wife with about 20,000 miles on the bike, I could not return the pre-load to the solo position , even though the icon changed - but it did not flash. I had no luggage and the total weight was perhaps 340 lbs. including the tail trunk, so there was no overload. Initially, the dealer thought nothing was wrong as the icon did change, but they then realized the height did not change and the preload remained fixed at 2-up. Since they had never encountered this problem, they contacted PUMA and were instructed to try a re-flash as the problem seemed to be the communication between the ESA unit and the rear shock. When this didn't work, BMW authorized the shock replacement.

Apparently, while not a common problem, it apparently has been happening on some hexheads and LTs.
Tom

Semper_Fi
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
If it is too cold or overloaded the computer shuts off power to the adjstment.

If you can, i would test by sitting up off the saddle and do the adjustment, if you still see the same symptons you would need to bring it in.

rangerreece
01-25-2009, 03:37 AM
(Tango Mike) The phonetic spelling of T. M. Short Fort Thanks Much; it took me about a month of flying in Iraq before I put 2 and 2 together and figured out what the ground guys were trying to tell me, cool so I adopted it.

In the interlude for a reply I did call Miller BMW, and talked to a rep, and he said the exact same thing Tom did, and an additional note, is has been cold as heck here in lower alabama, in the 20's. It's stuck just like Tom's in the 2 up position. I'm hoping a re-flash will fix the problem, but at least I know know what my financial obligation is in the event it doesn't.

You guys have been most helpful.