PDA

View Full Version : TPM low tire pressure message requires dealer reset?

texanrt
01-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Question: Do any of the TPM indicator messages ('09 manual page 37) require a dealer reset of the computer for a "fault" or "error" condition if a low tire pressure warning message displays on the panel?

If it does require a dealer reset of the computer for the low pressure code -- what do they have to do?

The owner's manual for my '09 R1200RT states that there are 3 warning messages related to underinflated tires. The "<!>" indicator signals a tire that is nearing the low pressure range and needs attention as I understand it. Two other error or warning codes signal more immediate attention is needed.

The manual indicates that sending unit signal interruption or depleted battery levels require dealer intervention, but I can't find any other owner's manual information about the 3 warning messages requiring a dealer reset of the computer for a low tire indicator <!>

It was cool this morning and I noticed the <!> indicator lit up a couple of times. I had reduced the pressure in my tires before my last ride to 34 PSI Front and 38 PSI Rear to see how that affected the handling/mileage so I know it was near the low PSI limit when I started out today. The TPM showed 34 front and 37 rear -- I thought this was still above the lower limit, but the <!> did light up.

I did pick up a nail in the rear, but I never saw the TPM register less than 37 PSI. The <!> only lit up a couple of times and neither of the other warning messages ever displayed (yellow or red flashing warning messages).

I got the rear tire replaced and the dealer "reset" the low tire pressure indicator during today's service visit according to the invoice. I was charged for .5 hours labor for the reset of the low pressure indicator in addition to the tire replacement.

I thought I had misread the manual so I didn't question the charge -- but I've gone back and read through it a couple of times today and can't see where a low tire indicator would require a dealer code reset. It seems illogical to have the dealer reset the computer every time you get low tire indication.

I want to go back tomorrow so that they can explain it to me unless I'm off base in my questions. Thanks.

bob1100rtc
01-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm a car mechanic and will probably be told that I'm off subject but here goes. On any new Chrysler vehicle, all you have to do is correct the low tire pressure and drive the vehicle for a couple miles. The light will go out on it's own. One note: Tire pressure gauges can be very inaccurate. Make shure you have a good gauge.

SilverRT
01-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I agree with Bob. I've triggered the flashing yellow after taking off with a low tire. I think it flashes when the pressure is 5 PSI lower that the last time. After I go the tire replaced the system went back to normal. I've never heard of a dealer reset for the TPM.

gfspencer
01-25-2009, 09:41 PM
When the dealership replaced a front tire I had an error or fault. After a few miles (and/or a certain speed) the system reset itself.

texanrt
01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your responses -- I'm going to perform a test on the TPM system by drawing down the tire pressure, observing the various information and warning messages, then reinflating the tire(s) to their proper pressures to confirm that the messages are cleared once the tires are back to their proper psi.

Is there a list or a source for the various maintenance or warning messages that require a dealer reset?

Motorwerk
01-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Not that I'm aware of but this should not be one.

I once had the flashing red triangle with the TPM flashing 23lbs for the rear tire. This was after stalling the engine and not cycling the ignition. After an ignition cycle it never happened again.

It may store a fault but it should never need to be reset by the dealer. Remember too that the measurement is calibrated for something like 68 degrees Fahrenheit.