PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel play k12rs

eric2
04-21-2003, 08:28 PM
I've a 98 with 74K on it. I can feel a fair amount of lateral play
by placing my hands at 6 and 12 o'clock positions on the rear wheel, mebbe a tenth of an inch.

I don't feel that much at the 3 and 9 positions, and the newer models I checked at the dealer had predicatbly little or no play.

I don't hear any noise and there are no leaks, should I be concerned? is there and adjustment on the paralever rear
hub?

TIA!

Eric barnes
Austin, tx

jdiaz
04-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Two possible spots:

1) The Paralever pivot - if this is loose, you should notice it regardless of where you place your hands. These come loose periodically tho, so that's the first place to check.

2) The final drive - if this is loose, you probably need to have the final drive disassembled and the bearing assy reshimmed.

That said, the first final drive on my K75 had situation 2) for thousands of miles. Never got worse.

Jon

kbasa
04-22-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by nfgeezer
I've a 98 with 74K on it. I can feel a fair amount of lateral play
by placing my hands at 6 and 12 o'clock positions on the rear wheel, mebbe a tenth of an inch.

I don't feel that much at the 3 and 9 positions, and the newer models I checked at the dealer had predicatbly little or no play.

I don't hear any noise and there are no leaks, should I be concerned? is there and adjustment on the paralever rear
hub?

TIA!

Eric barnes
Austin, tx

Marin BMW told me that they expect to deal with that by retorquing the lower paralever at about 40K miles. I torques mine as it had started to develop a little play at 30K. I think the inside (wheel side) 12mm Allen fitting gets torqued to 7 ft. lbs, but I'd have to go look to make sure.