PDA

View Full Version : Fork Boots



burnszilla
06-25-2004, 09:48 PM
It gets pretty dirty around my K75S' fork seals. The BMW service rep recommended neoprene velcro covers for them instead of the bmw rubber covers (you have to take the forks apart to get these on).

The only one's I can find on the web are for mountain bikes.
Any recommendations?

YB in IN
06-25-2004, 10:24 PM
You can also try putting the rubber fork gaiters from a /5 on the forks attached with hose clamps. I've been doing that on mine for about 7000 miles now and haven't had any problems. Some people will also keep the BMW plastic covers on, and just atach the gaiters at the top and let them hang over the caps.

kbasa
06-25-2004, 11:13 PM
I think I used /5 fork boots on my K75, but it's been a few years now.

Intallation really isn't that difficult. You take the wheel off, unbolt the fork legs at the top, take the fork brace off and just slide the legs right out. You install the fork boots and put it back together. If it took more than an hour or two, I'd be surprised.

The advantage is that it keeps your fork seals healthy almost indefinitely.

jdiaz
06-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Indefinitely is a long time, but thanks to fork boots, my K75 has had the same fork seals since new.

At least, I don't think they are leaking under there....ignorance is bliss dontchaknow. :bliss

dlearl476
06-27-2004, 01:47 AM
Check out Seal Savers (http://www.sealsavers.com/abi002/index.cfm?&DID=19)

deilenberger
06-27-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Burnszilla
It gets pretty dirty around my K75S' fork seals. The BMW service rep recommended neoprene velcro covers for them instead of the bmw rubber covers (you have to take the forks apart to get these on).

The only one's I can find on the web are for mountain bikes.
Any recommendations?

An option that I like is fork boots by Rancho suspension. These are a much finer pleat than the /5 or /7 fork boots from BMW. They are available in a size that fits the S just perfectly..

You can see them fairly well in:

http://www.eilenberger.net/K75S/bmw5.jpg

Best

burnszilla
06-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks David. I ordered the seal savers.

Don! You're the guy with the K75S I saw on the web months ago. You inspired me to paint my bike classic black.


http://www.burnszilla.com/images/bmw/K75Sblack.jpg

deilenberger
06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Burnszilla
Thanks David. I ordered the seal savers.

Don! You're the guy with the K75S I saw on the web months ago. You inspired me to paint my bike classic black.


http://www.burnszilla.com/images/bmw/K75Sblack.jpg

DAMN! Turned out VERY nice.

Now a bit of pinstriping and...

Nice. Very nice! :clap

Best,

YB in IN
06-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Burnszilla
Thanks David. I ordered the seal savers.

Don! You're the guy with the K75S I saw on the web months ago. You inspired me to paint my bike classic black.


What paint did you use? That just looks super sharp.

burnszilla
06-30-2004, 06:01 PM
That color is BMW Classic Black Metallic.
www.mountainviewcyclepaint.com did the work.
I'm the 3rd owner of the bike. It was metallic red, then metallic blue and now black.

CABNFVR
07-01-2004, 04:19 PM
You can't go wrong with Rancho Suspenssion (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=product.asp&d=29&s=611&p=1291&searchtype=ecat) shock boots. They fit the K75 perfectly. BTDT. Wish I had a picture for you, but take my word an a 14 dollar chance. They look and fit beter than the BMW /5 boots.

deilenberger
07-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by CABNFVR
You can't go wrong with Rancho Suspenssion (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=product.asp&d=29&s=611&p=1291&searchtype=ecat) shock boots. They fit the K75 perfectly. BTDT. Wish I had a picture for you, but take my word an a 14 dollar chance. They look and fit beter than the BMW /5 boots.

Uhhh... thought I gave a link above..

Here it is again: http://www.eilenberger.net/K75S/bmw5.jpg

dlearl476
07-04-2004, 04:39 AM
A lot of people use the /5 boots on F650s. At ~$14.55/per I think they're a little pricey. My solution was "Factory Replica" MiniMX boots as ~$10/pair, at any MX shop. If /5 boots fit the K, so will the Factory Rep Mini (http://www.daystarweb.com/catalog/main.php?make=Motorcycle)
Pay no attention to the "MSRP" I've never seen them more than $15/pair and I've gone through 3 pairs. (color coordinating, not wearing out!)

CABNFVR
07-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by deilenberger
Uhhh... thought I gave a link above..

Here it is again: http://www.eilenberger.net/K75S/bmw5.jpg

You have a picture link, with no information on where to purchase. I have a link to a reputable vendor, which is provided for information only. Over 101,000 mile on a K75s with no seal problems.

deilenberger
07-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by CABNFVR
You have a picture link, with no information on where to purchase. I have a link to a reputable vendor, which is provided for information only. Over 101,000 mile on a K75s with no seal problems.

And my response was to a link to a picture. I think it might be better (speaking in moderator mode) if you included the full link in your message rather than a shortcut. Lots of people won't click on shortcuts, but if the link looks safe - they will click on it.

Best,

CABNFVR
07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
:dunno