PDA

View Full Version : K1200 Gas Leak

TAXIDRIVER
06-09-2004, 11:21 AM
I recently moved from a K75S to a K1200RS I love the 1200 but after a 24000 mile service 300 miles to be exact it started leaking gas where the fuel pump assy bolts to the tank,and I mean a serious gas leak.Im lucky the damn thing didnt catch fire. My bike is a 1998 and uses 5- 6mm bolts and a rubber gasket to mount the pump assy. to the tank. While at the dealers parts counter I found that BMW changed the fuel pump flange and the tank this change went from the 5-6mm bolts to a large plastic nut and a rubber gasket to mount the fuel pump assy to the tank. It is obvious that BMW had problems with the old setup (why change it) So now I am looking at $388 for the new tank and $207 for the new flange to mount the fuel pump to.My bike is out of warranty but the dealer mentioned BMW has something called good will money. I will let you know how this goes. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance for replys. Jeff

jdiaz
06-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Jeff, have the dealer do a search on your VIN and find out if your bike was supposed to get a new fuel tank. The early '98 model gas tanks were replaced with ones with slightly thicker plastic material, because of the very problem you are relating. Its possible that your PO did not get the recall notice.

The fuel pump plate with bolt attachment works just fine, but in this case the gas tank is distorting underneath it.

TAXIDRIVER
06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Jon,You are correct the tank has a slight dimple between two mounting bolts and that is where it is leaking. I am hopeing BMW will give me some help with this. I am trying to find a phone # to call them but no luck so far. Thanks for the reply. Jeff

jdiaz
06-09-2004, 01:59 PM
There is a contact number for BMW North America in one of your manuals. I think its 800-831-1117 but don't quote me. Have your VIN ready.

TAXIDRIVER
06-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Jon, That is a good number. Thanks Jeff

eric2
06-10-2004, 02:20 PM
not to hijack, but the early 98s also had cooling
fan issues you might want to check out. Additional
recalls for freeze plugs in the head and an oil puimp circlip.

Ah the joys of first year models

Eric
98 k12rs (all recalls done)