PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake sticky after storage

Brodiex
06-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Hey all,

I've got an '85 K100RS, which I bought last summer, with a very thin rear rotor - the bike is going in for a full service next week, and i'm guessing that it will need a new rotor...meantime, when (finally) breaking the bike out of winter storage, I was doing the usual spot checks, and after depressing the back brake pedal, the wheel became locked...I worked the wheel by hand while the bike was still on the centerstand, and it loosened up - I made it home, then noticed that when maneuvering around my parking space with the motor off, there is a "ringing" coming from the rear rotor, so I guess the brakes are dragging a little...The full "locking" of the wheel has not recurred...

Bike doesn't feel like it's dragging...Is this problem potentially deadly, ie can I take it for a quick ride this weekend? Also, if anyone has experienced this problem before, I'd appreciate any feedback on fixes, so that I can brace myself for wallet-impact...

-Cheers

jdiaz
06-03-2004, 05:49 PM
These rear calipers are fairly infamous for hanging up once in awhile, usually because of old fluid or rusty brake pins.

Its easy to remove the rear wheel, remove the brake caliper, and slowly push the brake pads+pistons back into the caliper body. I use the transmission fluid level measuring tool, since it is wide and flat. Then flush the old brake fluid with new, and purchase a new pin kit to give the brake pads a smooth surface to glide along.

The pin kit is about $20, and a brake fluid flush is about one hour of shop time, if you are paying someone else to do it. You might want to get the rear rotor addressed right away as well, and the shop will probably insist upon new brake pads at that time. Get the EBC black brake pads or a similar aftermarket equivalent for $25-30 per pair.

Brodiex
06-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the help - it didn't seem like a dangerous condition, since the brakes don't seem to drag - guess I'll take it to the shop and be prepared to get a new rotor, pads, etc...:rolleyes