PDA

View Full Version : Engine identification tip?

R75rider
04-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi everybody. Any of you who have read the few posts I've added here this weekend already know I'm not familure with a K bike at all.

A bike I'm "suppose" to be trading for is appearing to have some different parts on it for what I'm told it is. The shop owner says it's a 85 or 86 K100, and it says K100 on the rear. But it has a K75 triangle shape muffler and an electricly adjustable windshield.

What I'ed now like to know is how can I walk up to the bike and tell the size of the engine without just looking on the bike's title?

I'ed really like to know if this is a K75 with a different rear cowl (among other things), or a K100 with a few changed items.

The engine size will make a difference in me trading or not. Not that a K75 is less a bike but at close to 290lbs I need to stay close to 1000cc. My R75/5 was a little too weak for my taste.

...on second thought, forget it. I'll just count spark plug wires. DUH! :idea

spikethebike
04-18-2004, 10:13 PM
or header pipes! The triangular muffler has 3 inlets. Won't fit on a four.

kbasa
04-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Yep. You can count the throttle bodies or the exhaust pipes poking out from under the head.

Or take pictures and post them here.

:D

R75rider
04-20-2004, 01:47 AM
I went back and looked a lot closer at the K100 this evening and it didn't have a triangle muffler, it was square, well almost square. It's a K100 I'm sure now.

I did spot a spider web crack on the fairing that I hadn't seen before but that appears to be the only blemish on the bike. The cracking should be easy to fix once I find out what the fairing is made from. I'll be a BMW owner again in a few weeks barring all accidents! :thumb