PDA

View Full Version : Exploding K-Bike

spikethebike
04-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Anyone else ever have a rod come flying out the side of a K12 motor?

sgborgstrom
04-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Not me... but I bet it was an "interesting" event. Tell us more!

Steve

BMWRider
04-16-2004, 01:43 AM
I heard of one recently. Might have been here or on another board. The pic of the right side of the motor was rather horrifying. :cry

Ironhorsecowboy
04-16-2004, 02:20 AM
Hey Spike, I've got an 03 K12 LTC and was curious about which K bike blew the rod out. Were you hammering it or what. I ride mine like I stole it most of the time and if it's gonna explode well I've given it a few opportunities running near redline. I just wish it had that extra HP that the K12GT is stock with.

jdiaz
04-16-2004, 03:42 AM
I saw one at the dealer once. Insufficiently torqued con-rod nut.

kbasa
04-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Oh Jeez, Spike. You got a picture or what?

LICK MY BRICK
04-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Yeah how about some pictures,and more info!:D
jayson

spikethebike
04-16-2004, 05:15 PM
So there I was, cruising toward Tucson at 9:30 on Monday night at the end of a 750 mile day. Motoring along at 75, as my riding companion was having an anxiety attack over his fuel status.
There was an infintessimal loss of power, maybe .5 sec., then ok for a bit, then the impression of a major blowout of a tire. I pulled in the clutch and everything went smooth again. I let the clutch back out and a huge racket insued. I immediately pulled over and looked down to see an enormous amount of oil spreading out under the bike.
The next day I had the bike towed to Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. They had a copy of my bike on the floor, mine was a 2000, this one a 2001. Mine had 42k miles, this one had 12.5k, and warrenty till June26. The guys at Iron Horse were fantastic, and I was back on the road with one lost day.
On teardown, it was found that #1 con rod bearing was destroyed, #2 was about to go, #3 was pitted, and #4 was fine. A loss of oil pressure at some point was postulated. The only possible time that it could have happened was when the bike went down on it's left side and the throttle cable hung up, increaing the rpm's while the bike was on it's side. It could have sucked air into the oil pickup at that time.

LICK MY BRICK
04-16-2004, 10:43 PM
DAMM! Spike the main thing is you were not hurt during this freak occurance,and great that your bike was up and running a day later.

Jayson:D

spikethebike
04-16-2004, 11:23 PM
You mean my NEW bike!
:bliss

bmwmick
04-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Spike,
I saw (and touched:eek ) your old K12. Paul and I looked it over closely the day after you brought it in and swapped it. I'm betting the left side laydown is what started the whole mess but I'm surprised there was no ugly noises leading up to the total failure of #1. It WAS ugly:confused:
Paul is a great guy and I believe he found an engine up in Phoenix for it. He likes the bike so well, he just might keep it in his ever growing stable.
These engines are REALLY hard to hurt. My K1100 is going on 129K as strong as ever.

Mick
Tucson

spikethebike
04-17-2004, 09:00 PM
With regards to the durability of these motors, I have an '85 K100 (the finest year) with over 137k on it. It must be a lemon because I've had to adjust 3 valves in that time.
The output shaft replacement is chronicled in the IBMWR archives.
There was no nasty noises I could hear, butt I was earing cstom fitted earplugs!

basketcase
04-17-2004, 10:54 PM
I've heard so much about K's using oil over the years that I've wondered:

1. Has anyone ever actually run one out of oil?

or,

2. Has anyone (who would admit it) ever run one too low?