PDA

View Full Version : K1200RS Stuck in Second Gear

crvalley
03-12-2004, 03:41 AM
I'm going to throw this out to the forum before I consult my manual and/or mechanic.

Long story short, on my way home from work this evening, my K12RS became stuck in 2nd gear. Has anyone had similar experience(s)?

Just curious and thanks for any input you may have...

deilenberger
03-12-2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by crvalley
I'm going to throw this out to the forum before I consult my manual and/or mechanic.

Long story short, on my way home from work this evening, my K12RS became stuck in 2nd gear. Has anyone had similar experience(s)?

Just curious and thanks for any input you may have...

I kind of suspect - unless you're really familiar with transmissions - that you'll be consulting a mechanic. If the external linkage (if there is any on a K12RS) isn't binding - something internal to the transmission is broken.

You didn't mention it -

Does the shift lever move?

If it does - do you hear anything moving inside the transmission when you move it?

The early K's had problems with the shifting drum (think of a drum with serpentine groves in it that the ends of the shift forks ride in - the drum rotates as you shift and move the forks which then move the gears). The drums were a bit soft - and wear would eventually cause a shift fork to jump outof the grove - causing it to lock up in whatever gear it happened to be in - or sometimes lock up in no gear.

Happened to me with my '85 K100RT about 60 miles from the Trenton Ontario rally on an afternoon ride. I finally forced it into 3rd gear and managed to nurse the bike back to the rally. It went home on a trailer and got a used transmission when it got home (was cheaper than fixing the broken one).

Sorry I don't have any magic words that will fix it..

crvalley
03-12-2004, 04:56 AM
The shift lever moves both up and down, and there is no noise inside the transmission.

I think the magic will occur at Cal BMW this weekend when I bring the beast in for some tranny work...

"If it jams, force it...If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway..."

Lee
03-13-2004, 04:40 AM
At least you can still drive 80 MPH on the way to the shop if you have 2nd gear :)

crvalley
03-13-2004, 07:05 AM
I always thought those other five gears were added weight anyway...

Oh well...Saturday it is off to the skilled mechanics at Cal BMW in Mountain View, CA...