PDA

View Full Version : R1200s

larrydk
11-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Is the R1200S not available in 2008?

sfarson
11-12-2007, 05:29 AM
It is available overseas in modest numbers but not being imported by BMW NA for the '08 model year. There are few to some '07's on dealer floors; this is your best option if you want a new one.

Small volume is the reason. Too bad. It is a superb sporting ride.

http://www.farson.com/r1200s/r1200swestcreek.jpg

larrydk
11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Why is this...are they discontinuing the line?

This won't affect geting parts and the sort I hope?

sfarson
11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Kinda like the R1200ST. BMW NA no longer imported it while it remained available overseas. There is an '08 R1200S but not for sale in the U.S. You can talk to your dealer about this and see if they can get you one, but I wouldn't be optimistic. There is no change for '08 and the dealer would probably try to get an unsold '07 from another dealer. There aren't many of them. My high volume dealer sold the four they were allocated by last spring and they didn't have a single one on the floor the entire summer selling season. I don't know if there will be an '09. I'm not worried about parts. Many of the boxer components are interchangeable and the model continues to exist. Components will be in inventory.

sfdave
11-13-2007, 06:19 AM
There's an '07 sitting at one of our local highish volume dealer that they want to move at cost because nobody wanted it.

Looks like they're going the way of the ST.

larrydk
11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I can't get enough of mine, by and far the best bike I've ever owned. Glad I picked one up when I did.

drummer12345
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Kinda like the R1200ST. BMW NA no longer imported it while it remained available overseas. There is an '08 R1200S but not for sale in the U.S. You can talk to your dealer about this and see if they can get you one, but I wouldn't be optimistic. There is no change for '08 and the dealer would probably try to get an unsold '07 from another dealer. There aren't many of them. My high volume dealer sold the four they were allocated by last spring and they didn't have a single one on the floor the entire summer selling season. I don't know if there will be an '09. I'm not worried about parts. Many of the boxer components are interchangeable and the model continues to exist. Components will be in inventory.

According to South Sound BMW's here in WA you can still get the R1200ST, it's just a special order. http://southsoundbmw.com/bikes.htm#Tour Hope the R1200S doesn't get discontinued, though that would make it cool to see on the road.

AZ-J
10-17-2008, 03:29 AM
My local dealer has an '08 R1200S for sale.

bob1100rtc
10-17-2008, 08:30 PM
My local dealer had a S last time I was there. About 3 weeks ago. On another note I probably shouldn't be riding.

GORDON1200
10-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Larry, thank you for getting some 1200s content on the forum! I agree with you, the "S" is a phenomenal bike. Unfortunately, it's proved to be a connoiseur's bike in the North American Market. It seems the majority sportkbike demographic prefers a much less overall capable road/sport touring bike = INTENSE. You've also got the double whammy of (besides BMW riders!!) the large majority of riders in this price range seem to prefer cruisers. I think they are really, really missing out as I am very thankful of the 1200s development team. The bike just rocks. It handles incredibly well, unreal torque from the low 2k rpm. Sounds bitchin' with a good can on it. BMW hard luggage option. Shaft drive for sport touring. Heated grips. Bosch electrics. Looks like a European thoroughbred at rest in the garage. Relatively simple (reliable) mechanics compared to other sportbikes/tourers. (I humbly consider the "S" to be the best sport tourer out there for these reasons.) A riding position (may scare some at first!) that is frankly the perfect setup. Perfect bar placement, lever placement; etc. This is the first bike I have NOT adjusted to suit my frame. (Other than the seat) In terms of availability, BMW Canada has offered an '08 model year. They will not be continuing the bike forward due to slow sales. Larry, it just confirms we 1200s owners are special! :brad I am not worried about parts at all. BMW is tremendous for availability and most of the mechanicals are standard boxer. I will be enjoying this bike for what it is, one of the best kept secrets in the motorcycling world.

AZ-J
10-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Larry, thank you for getting some 1200s content on the forum! I agree with you, the "S" is a phenomenal bike. Unfortunately, it's proved to be a connoiseur's bike in the North American Market. It seems the majority sportkbike demographic prefers a much less overall capable road/sport touring bike = INTENSE. You've also got the double whammy of (besides BMW riders!!) the large majority of riders in this price range seem to prefer cruisers. I think they are really, really missing out as I am very thankful of the 1200s development team. The bike just rocks. It handles incredibly well, unreal torque from the low 2k rpm. Sounds bitchin' with a good can on it. BMW hard luggage option. Shaft drive for sport touring. Heated grips. Bosch electrics. Looks like a European thoroughbred at rest in the garage. Relatively simple (reliable) mechanics compared to other sportbikes/tourers. (I humbly consider the "S" to be the best sport tourer out there for these reasons.) A riding position (may scare some at first!) that is frankly the perfect setup. Perfect bar placement, lever placement; etc. This is the first bike I have NOT adjusted to suit my frame. (Other than the seat) In terms of availability, BMW Canada has offered an '08 model year. They will not be continuing the bike forward due to slow sales. Larry, it just confirms we 1200s owners are special! :brad I am not worried about parts at all. BMW is tremendous for availability and most of the mechanicals are standard boxer. I will be enjoying this bike for what it is, one of the best kept secrets in the motorcycling world.

Gordon,
I am considering buying one. If you can say ?¿A riding position... that is frankly the perfect setup?¿, can you kindly identify your height and sleeve length for a dress shirt (I am 5??11?¿ with a 33?¿shirt sleeve length, for reference)? I want to know how close we match there, before I consider going in to the dealer.

Because my ??07 F800S went beserk with an e-gltch, BMW is buying it back under AZ??s lemon law and cashing me out on it next week. I have been without it since late August.

bjhughes
10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll have to echo the comments/praise here for the R1200S...I love mine!

In fact, I'm putting my other bike (05 RC51) up for sale soon because I enjoy the S so much. I also agree that it is very comfortable and has above average performance for what it is. I'm a fairly aggressive sportbike rider and the S will perform.

I've had Hondas, Triumphs, Ducatis, Aprilias...you name it. This bike is a keeper. Of course I'm also 50+ now and can just about buy whatever I want...I want the R1200S.

I am not a cruiser, tourer, or dual sporter (25 years of off road racing wore me out!). This bike is the perfect fit for me now (by the way, 6'2", 260 lbs., 36" shirt sleeve here).

If you can find one, buy it!

AZ-J
10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks Ben!

I have found two. One is new '08 white aluminum metallic with ohlins shocks at the dealer. It is a good stretch dollar-wise for what BMW is paying me for the F800S, the BMW Zumo on it, a BMW pillion seat cover, and extended warranty. But, friend is willing to sell me his '07 red/silver with ohlins shocks, BMW alarm, and wide rear tire for a price that lets me buy it, an extended warranty for it, and a Garmin Zumo. The features the BMW Zumo have over the Garmin are easily replaced anyway and the Garmin has features the BMW one does not.

I am scheduled to test ride it tomorrow, and buy it this week when the check comes from BMW. So if you could let me what you think about this SOON, I'd apprecitate this.

GORDON1200
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
AZ-J, I'm 6'2, approx 220lbs. Normally I wear an XL shirt, standard length sleeves. Haven't measured my sleeve lengths lately! :-) The unique thing I have found with the S, is that though the bars are low, they're not (to me) too far away = a stretch like on most other sport bikes. The distance from the seat to the bars seems shorter than on most other sport bikes. To give an example, with my prior 01 VFR, I put Heli-bars on it to raise them. I find the stock S ergonomics to be better for me. ymmv. Hope this helps Az.

AZ-J
10-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Thank you Gordon,

Well, I am approximately 3" shorter than you and Ben are, but I'll say this, sounds like your and his reach to the bars was just like mine on my now defunct F800S. So, I guess I'll know better tomorrow when I test ride my friend's R1200S for sale, but in the showroom in T-shirt and jeans they felt very similar to me. It was almost an odd experience because I never expected an R bike to feel as nimble as that the F800S (I was shocked to learn the F800S and the R1200S have only an 18 lbs difference).

Also, please note I did not ask for weight measurements, but I appreciate you both providing them. Yet, after a run with "high" blood sugar 6 years ago, I dropped 50++ lbs. in five months, now adjusted up to a current weight of 175 lbs. so I am looked at as thin, especially for my 51.5 years. Believe it or not, people see a 45-46 year old 5"11" male weighing 155 as sickly, constantly and quite disconcertingly asking if you have cancer and taking chemotherapy for it.

And both your answer and Ben's only make me anticipate my return from the Mexico Motorrad Rally to Phoenix tomorrow AM just that much more! I hope I can sleep tonight! :D

bjhughes
10-21-2008, 10:12 PM
It is available overseas in modest numbers but not being imported by BMW NA for the '08 model year. There are few to some '07's on dealer floors; this is your best option if you want a new one.

Small volume is the reason. Too bad. It is a superb sporting ride.

What road are you on here in the picture? I need to come and ride there with you! That's my kind of curves.

AZ-J
10-24-2008, 06:39 AM
I just got mine tonight! :heart No pics yet. :bolt

bjhughes
10-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Red & silver...that's the "special" one...enjoy it!

AZ-J
10-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Here it is all, and I have black seat besides the red one, too.

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/43936/2946440750100360492S600x600Q85.jpg

sfarson
10-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Major congrats AZ-J. Beautiful, and the beauty isn't just skin deep.

AZ-J
10-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Thank you sfarson. I rode it 200+ miles today, and all I can say is I am breathless over its going, stopping, and leaning over each way. Wow! And it purrs like music to boot.

Now I need the tank bag I think so I carry bike lock, flashlight, and lunch when I take it to commute. Maybe the BMW saddle bags too. I see when off it's just two metal pegs (posts) - one on each side.

Comments from you and other S owners?

wezul
10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey, there ya go! :thumb
Sorry to lose a fellow "F" rider but that bike looks like it will serve you well and give you the ventilation you want.
Enjoy!

AZ-J
10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Wezul,

I was sorry to lose my "F" S model, the whole process is a heartache.

But since the R1200S was apparently discontinued in the US after the F800S was, there are more of them available (I could have bought one of two new "07 ones, here). This one from a friend here was a better buy, and that Remus is sweet!

I'll be around.

AZ-J
10-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but since there a few fellow R1200S owners, here, I'll give it a try.

Does any one have photos and/or part nos. for parts, such as the fitting tank bag, panniers with locks and mounting, their favorite BMW tool kits, etc.?

I need some way to carry items occasionally and could shop better for them with the part nos. A photo of the tank bag and its mounting means would be a very welcome thing too. Oh, and I hear that tank bag is waterproof. Is it?

hexst
10-27-2008, 01:38 AM
AZ-J,
Enjoy your new mount!I rode one last year for over 1500 miles in 8 riding days wonderful bike, even for a 57 year old 5'8'' 180lbs.But it was spectacular in the Alps. Of course I ride my R12000ST with the bars at their lowest position for up to 900 miles a day.

AZ-J
10-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Thank you Knick, I appreciate your comments. I did a couple of 8 hour rides last year, and spent 5.5 hours in the rain lost over a mismatched zumo routing in Mexico (but made my destination alive, well, and hungry) a few weeks ago.

I hope to one day soon put on a 900 mile day or even a Saddlesore or Bun Burner IBA ride. It all depends on whether my 2X operated on in '01 and '02, and not getting better than it is now, left shoulder stays OK. I could keep that up on my F, and so far it looks like I could do so on the R, as well.

Now, I just need some luggage to hold a few things, a tank bag for work commuting, and removable saddle bags for longer hauls. My strap on tank bags do look as good on the R12S as they did on the F800S.

We'll see how it goes.

sfarson
10-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but since there a few fellow R1200S owners, here, I'll give it a try.

Does any one have photos and/or part nos. for parts, such as the fitting tank bag, panniers with locks and mounting, their favorite BMW tool kits, etc.?

I need some way to carry items occasionally and could shop better for them with the part nos. A photo of the tank bag and its mounting means would be a very welcome thing too. Oh, and I hear that tank bag is waterproof. Is it?

Not sure how helpful this is, but did come across this image of the R12S with factory tank bag and side bags...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/BMW_Edelweiss_Tour_78.jpg

AZ-J
10-27-2008, 05:42 AM
That helps a lot, as it looks like the set up I want. But, I still have some questions, like how does the tank bag go on (and come off for fueling or otherwise)? And the saddle bags, what does the bike look like after the bags are removed? I for one, will leave them in garage more days than use them, but when I need to use them I will! :scratch

sfarson
10-27-2008, 06:10 AM
This probably doesn't help much, having never put the side bags on the R12S, but do have them on the K12S, and the mounting hardware is discrete. There's a small knob placed on the passenger grab rail (But without grab rails on the R12S not sure where this goes), and a black frame/bracket hanging down below the tail a few inches. I hardly know it is there. That is all.

BTW, will find a hearty band of R12S owners at the R11S/R12S community here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

You should be able to find some images/help there.

bjhughes
10-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I have the BMW tankbag on my bike. The mounting straps attach to the seat base (under the front of the seat) and the front attaches to the frame behind the forks. The front mount is moved to gas up (tankbag just rests on the seat).

It's a big bag, but does not feel big or get in the way when riding. I don't have the rear bags, so can't comment on those (but have seen pictures of both soft and hard bag options).

I also ordered a Corbin seat, but it's not here yet.

Other little farkles I have added include CF front fender, oil cooler protector screen, Puig dark smoke windscreen, K&N air filter, Throttlemeister cruise control, V1 radar with helmet HARD system, extra power outlet (direct to battery), clear signal lenses, aftermarket license bracket (much cleaner than stock), Akrapovic exhaust...more to come I'm sure!

But I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on it...yeah, right!

AZ-J
10-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for that Ben,

I do believe then the tank bag is a good option for me (but will it block a stalk mounted Zumo? I intend to use a ZTechnik Z6131 mount shown here (http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z6131.html?search_model=bm-044)). I have a Puig on order, also black. But for throttle control I have always preferred Kaoko over TM, so I am going that way, here, too.

My bike came with the Remus full system, and I really like its purring and growling with its inserts. I drove it at first w/o them, and on a track day, that'll be it, but on the road I need to be able to hear w/o that noise.

The remaining farkles will come eventually, but work and life are in the way right now. Over and out, but thanks for this, it confirms what I thought.

GORDON1200
10-29-2008, 01:57 AM
Here is a link to see the saddlebag setup. For the tankbag, Ben is right on with it's quality and fit. Going to the Corbin presents some issues though. The Corbin fits much tighter on all clearances. There are also no provisions for the factory BMW tankbag connections on it. However, the Corbin is HUGELY recommended for it's comfort. The stock seat is ghastly. Hope this helps!
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25631&highlight=r1200s+luggage:)

AZ-J
10-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks gordon1200. I can't see considering a Corbin seat yet, as so far I have no issues with the stock seat , and if I do I want to try the Alaska Leather Buttpad I have first left over from my F800S (their site says the one I have fits both bikes). My rear end might not find the seat ghastly as yours does, and if I have issues, the Buttpad may be enough to cure them (I never got to use it with the F800S, anyway). Yet, I have had some bad luck with Corbin seats in the past.

But the saddlebag link was great for me, it shows, 1) the mounting rods screw-in in front where the rear footpegs would (mine are off the bike right now) and 2) that post on each side is a livable add-on, as well.

So you have helped a lot! It just goes to show this forums works as they are supposed to work and you are all great people to know.

I hope I get to meet a few to several of you fellow S-ers if I get to the Rally this summer. I have hotel reservations and friends from here to make the ride with, so it looks likely. Now, if my work schedule permits it, I'm there. It is just too soon to tell.

sfarson
10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
What road are you on here in the picture? I need to come and ride there with you! That's my kind of curves.

Ben... Just noted your post. The image comes for CO 67 leading NW out of Woodland Park, CO. A 50 mile road of ups and downs, lefts and rights.

Elsewhere from the same road...
http://www.farson.com/hp2sport/hp2sportjeff126.jpg

bjhughes
10-29-2008, 09:43 PM
For the tankbag, Ben is right on with it's quality and fit. Going to the Corbin presents some issues though. The Corbin fits much tighter on all clearances. There are also no provisions for the factory BMW tankbag connections on it. However, the Corbin is HUGELY recommended for it's comfort. The stock seat is ghastly. Hope this helps!
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25631&highlight=r1200s+luggage:)

FYI...I sent my stock seat in to Corbin (and returned their new seat) so they could use it as a pattern to correct the base and clearance issue so I can use my BMW tank bag. They wanted to fix it right for me since I demanded that the tank bag mounts be added. Greg H. at Corbin is taking good care of me! They basically said that nobody ever insisted on having the mounts until now. I should have my seat(s) back very soon now.

And sfarson...maybe I'll come find that road next summer!

GORDON1200
10-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Ben, you HAVE to reply to this thread with the new setup for the Corbin! Fwiw, I heard a lot of bad things about Corbin prior to purchasing mine. However, after ordering and receiving mine, I am a convert. The quality is very good and most importantly, the seat is tremendous!! Very keen to hear and see how your new revised unit hooks up and works Ben. Cheers!:thumb

hcmiller52
10-30-2008, 01:16 AM
(snip) Hope the R1200S doesn't get discontinued, though that would make it cool to see on the road.Oh, it's already discontinued. Doesn't mean I love mine any less!

bjhughes
11-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Ben, you HAVE to reply to this thread with the new setup for the Corbin! Fwiw, I heard a lot of bad things about Corbin prior to purchasing mine. However, after ordering and receiving mine, I am a convert. The quality is very good and most importantly, the seat is tremendous!! Very keen to hear and see how your new revised unit hooks up and works Ben. Cheers!:thumb

I finally got my Corbin seat with the remodeled base to accommodate the tank bag straps. It took forever, but it looks like they did a nice job. Everything fits good and the seat workmanship is top notch.

I sure got frustrated with Corbin a few times during the process, but in the end it is very nice. It just took a long time and I had also sent them my stock seat to use as a pattern for the new base. This meant that I did not have any seat for several weeks and could not ride my bike...that's all over now. I have my stock seat back and I have the new Corbin.

So...anybody with a R1200S can now order a Corbin seat with the tank bag mounting bracket included. I doubt any old seats can be retrofitted because the base is actually different and a little bit shorter (to allow for the strap clearance at the front of the seat).

See it here: http://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwr12a7_base2.jpg

GORDON1200
11-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks Ben!

AZ-J
11-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Me again, and with a big thank you! This past week all the parts finally came in!

Here's the bike with the panniers from the side:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/3072569550_4e11dc8435_b.jpg

From the rear:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/3071732791_d481967cf0_b.jpg

and in a now you see them, and now you don't (almost), without the panniers;

side:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/3072570442_f5dabf11e5_b.jpg

rear:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/3071733941_1a6866afcf_b.jpg

Next, this Monday, I am also getting a quote from the dealer to paint the bags Magma Red where black, and Titan Silver Metallic where matte silver, because a white and black K was in the dealer showroom with the same bags, gloss white and matte black (they were stunning). Please feel free to chime in on the color scheme, I may reverse this red/silver, too.

All I can say now is I love all that storage too; and will hopefully make the trip to the '09 MOA Rally in TN doable (my local AZBeemers club is planning a group trip).

But I can't see how to get the front of the tank bag off for a gas fill (for the one I have done, I released the clips on the back straps). Any help there would be appreciated, too. The bike is a WOW!

sfarson
12-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Sweet set-up AZ-J. Congrats on this versatile, sporting and touring ride!

bjhughes
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I can't see how to get the front of the tank bag off for a gas fill (for the one I have done, I released the clips on the back straps). Any help there would be appreciated, too.

I have the same tank bag. For gas stops, I merely press forward and down on the front mount and rest the bag on the seat. I never touch the rear straps.

AZ-J
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Sweet set-up AZ-J. Congrats on this versatile, sporting and touring ride!

Thanks. Hope you are loving that sweet HP2 Sport!

I have the same tank bag. For gas stops, I merely press forward and down on the front mount and rest the bag on the seat. I never touch the rear straps.

Oh, did I need, this one, Ben! Thanks.

GORDON1200
12-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Congrats AZ-J! Looks most excellent!! I would love to hear those Remus pipes without the db killers! Looks like a really fantastic setup. Cheers!

GORDON1200
12-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Attended the Toronto Bike Show today. Several bikes interested me. Love the new Harley Xr1200r (euro). Felt very comfortable and is supposed to handle. :-) Seriously. That bike is a long overdue move by Harley. Also liked the Ducati's; as always. Have to also put in special mention for the Canadian edition of the Honda VFR. White. Looked great. However, no r1200s? :-)) Ladies and gents, saw absolutely nothing that "could" replace this most special bike. Happy I have mine. A Keeper! ;) Cheers and Happy Holidays to all. Dave.

AZ-J
12-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Congrats AZ-J! Looks most excellent!! I would love to hear those Remus pipes without the db killers! Looks like a really fantastic setup. Cheers!

Thanks gordon1200. I rode the bike once without the db killers on the Remus. It'd break the front windows of every house I passed if I left it that way. IT IS LOUD! Too loud for me. :hide

GORDON1200
12-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Thought I would add that after Ben's posting on the Corbin 1200s seat, (and Ben's kind hookup) Corbin is doing the same mod for me. It basically means a new seat for them. I am frankly thrilled that they are doing this. I had heard Corbin can be really tough if you have issues, but have to say that not only is the seat the best, the fact they are making it right , well it just shows tremendous customer service.

My sincere best wishes to not only the 1200s riders out there, but to all. Cheers for the holidays!:wave

AZ-J
12-27-2008, 05:04 AM
I sent my spare black seat to here (http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php) to have the deluxe treatment for a whole $75. If it works, black seat it'll be on the bike while red seat goes there too for a redo.

The black seat should arrive back next in the next week or so. I'll report then.

Hope every one's holiday was grand!