PDA

View Full Version : R1200R saddlebags with sticky locks

MaynardLassonde
11-11-2007, 02:23 AM
This is my first post, so hopefully I'll get this right.

I had my dealer install the BMW hard saddlebags for my R1200R several weeks ago. Although I love the convenience of storage, the locks often don't turn. I can spend 5 or 10 minutes trying to turn the key to unlock the bag or release the bag from the bike. Sometimes it works on the first try, but often the key just doesn't turn for many attempts. I've visited the dealer on this, and by a stroke of luck, the key stuck for the dealer's technician on his very first try. He fiddled for 5 minutes before the key turned for him. So, he was immediately convinced that I had a real problem and it couldn't be attributed to user error. Unfortunately, the only advice he could give me was to allow a longer break-in period. He, and others at the dealership, said with more use the key will eventually turn more easily and dependably. He said perhaps some lubricant would help, but he wasn't real confident it would. I called BMW customer service on this, and it said that my only option was to work with my dealer, or try another dealer.

I joined the BMW MOA just minutes ago - in large part so that I can get suggestions from other BMW owners for issues such as this one. I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Maynard

sarmand
11-11-2007, 02:31 AM
A 'break-in period" for luggage?... what complete nonsense. Talk to another dealer. You shouldn't have to put up with this. The luggage should work from day one. If the trunk wouldn't open on your new 325i, would you tolerate it?

FredRydr
11-11-2007, 04:02 AM
Both cases? All keys?

Fred
'07 R1200R (with easy locks)

santacruzdave
11-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I had the same problem. Dealer installed the new hard bags, ran into the sticking lock, however they worked on the locks for an additional 45 min. with no charge to be. The service manager told me about the sticking lock, one side only, when I picked up the R. I'd be back at the dealer if they had not cleared the problem before I knew it was a problem.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

thinman
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
I had a problem with the lock on one of my side cases. When I took it to my local dealer (not where I purchased it) they discovered that instead of using new cores and keying them to the bike, the installing dealer simply ground down a set of cores they had lying around to make them work. Hope this isn't a rampant practice, but it might be worth taking a look.

swall
11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Just wondering--did you stick with the "comes with" lock cylinder and key or did the dealer re-key it to match your ignition key?

deilenberger
11-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Just wondering--did you stick with the "comes with" lock cylinder and key or did the dealer re-key it to match your ignition key?AFAIK - the luggage doesn't come with a lock cylinder and key. It's expected that the dealer will install the cylinder and set it up for the owners key.

easy
11-11-2007, 09:52 PM
This is my first post, so hopefully I'll get this right.

I had my dealer install the BMW hard saddlebags for my R1200R several weeks ago. Although I love the convenience of storage, the locks often don't turn. I can spend 5 or 10 minutes trying to turn the key to unlock the bag or release the bag from the bike. Sometimes it works on the first try, but often the key just doesn't turn for many attempts. I've visited the dealer on this, and by a stroke of luck, the key stuck for the dealer's technician on his very first try. He fiddled for 5 minutes before the key turned for him. So, he was immediately convinced that I had a real problem and it couldn't be attributed to user error. Unfortunately, the only advice he could give me was to allow a longer break-in period. He, and others at the dealership, said with more use the key will eventually turn more easily and dependably. He said perhaps some lubricant would help, but he wasn't real confident it would. I called BMW customer service on this, and it said that my only option was to work with my dealer, or try another dealer.

I joined the BMW MOA just minutes ago - in large part so that I can get suggestions from other BMW owners for issues such as this one. I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Maynard

I'd keep it for two weeks and use a little WD 40. If that doesn't work, I'd take it back to the dealer. If the dealer doesn't fix it, I'd call BMWNA back. They have to fix it, and most probably will.

If BMWNA still refuses, give me a PM and I'll give you some free legal advice that will get their attention.

Easy :german

MaynardLassonde
11-12-2007, 01:35 AM
1) The problem occurs with both locks and with both keys.

2) The dealer did whatever was required to enable my ignition key to work (well, sort of) with the saddlebags.

3) I thought about WD40, but I also thought about graphite, since it is often recommended for lock lubrication.

4) I am thankful for the thoughtful replies from all of you. My next step needs to be another visit to the dealer. This time I'll be expecting a solution, not advice to be patient during the break-in period. I've learned from some of you that the sticky lock issue is not mine alone, and that my fellow riders are no happier with the "break-in" solution that I was.

5) I've had a trip to the Adirondacks of NY and Burlington Vermont planned for this Tuesday. I attempted to pack last night. I gave up trying to unlock one of my saddlebags after an hour's effort. To sum up, I cannot trust my R1200R saddlebags, so I will probably take my Harley Davidson (2007 Super Glide Custom). The Harley has no storage, so currently it is virtually equivalent to the R1200R in regards to storage. However, I like the Harley seat better than the R1200R. If all I can pack is a toothbrush and mobile phone, I may as well sit on a more comfortable bike. Short digression - I took a Harley for a test ride this spring just for fun, and I fell in love with the ride. It is very different from the R1200R - which I also enjoy of course. Perhaps it is the stark contrast that makes it such fun. I wouldn't even consider a Harley for many years, fearful of quality issues and a bit put off by the image. I'm glad I gave it a try, and I highly recommend it. By the way, my experience with the quality of the bike and the dealer has been exceptionally positive... no problems comparable to the sticky locks.

Thanks again for all your input.

jimvonbaden
11-16-2007, 04:18 PM
AFAIK - the luggage doesn't come with a lock cylinder and key. It's expected that the dealer will install the cylinder and set it up for the owners key.

Correct!

The same luggage is used on the R1200ST, and when I added it to Tina's bike I did the keys myself. Grinding them is just crappy service since swapping out the plates is a snap, especially before you install them.

Here is a link to my pictorial. (http://bmwbmw.org/bmwforums/viewtopic.php?t=7105)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/R1200ST/Lock%20rekey/05Before-orig-key.jpg

Jim :brow

TGA57589
11-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I had the lock stick on my '07 RT trunk 49 quart version I belive it is. It stuck and then for some reason it started working ok? I was about ready to break it for good so they had to fix it but it seems to work okay. I like the way the latches work on the new system but the locks seem like white metal cheapies.

gulfcoastbeemer
11-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I called BMW customer service on this, and it said that my only option was to work with my dealer, or try another dealer.

If that wasn't such a pathetic response, it would be laughable.

I have spoken with BWM NA on several occasions. I've marveled at their consistent lack of empathy and total detachment -- bordering on an almost gleeful joy -- as they side-step any and all issues put before them.

One BMW NA customer service representative I spoke with, proudly told me he was a rider -- but, didn't ride a BMW, and didn't aspire to either. I left the conversation feeling abandoned, victimized and insulted all at the same time.

redclfco
11-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Did anyone consider that maybe the attachment placement on the bike may be out of line ever so slightlya s to cause the mechanisims on the locks to jam because they are ever so slightly cockeyed to the world?

In other words the bags are connected weird, thus jam.

Have you ever tried the locks when thebags are off the bike?

Just a laymans thoughts!

Red

MaynardLassonde
12-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Did anyone consider that maybe the attachment placement on the bike may be out of line ever so slightlya s to cause the mechanisims on the locks to jam because they are ever so slightly cockeyed to the world?

In other words the bags are connected weird, thus jam.

Have you ever tried the locks when thebags are off the bike?

Just a laymans thoughts!

Red

During the one time I was able to remove a bag from the bike, my sticky lock problem continued without relief. I would tell you how the other bag worked when off the bike, but I was never able to detach it. Detaching the bags requires the locks to work properly, and that, as I've reported, is a rare event.

Since my last entry, the dealer has been able to detach the bags, and they are now with the dealer (and my spare key), and they will stay with the dealer until the problem is solved. So, I'm back to a naked R1200R, and she is just as beautiful without her luggage system. Until I get my BMW luggage back, I'll use my Harley when my cargo will not fit in my pockets.

RACEYDOG
12-11-2007, 05:43 AM
I am a locksmith.

The BMW mechanic is the BMW mechanic.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone tells me about the time they re-keyed a lock or picked a lock or opened a car. They act as though they are experts now that they did one or the other once.

What I'm getting at is this. Just because the LBS mechanic works on a particular bike doesn't mean they know how to rekey a lock. Even if they have re-keyed one in the past, the next one of a different model bike may not be exactly the same.

If they tell you that they don't know why it isn't working after they have keyed your new locks to your old key, it's because they didn't know how to re-key it in the first place. BMW sells a re-keying kit that is to be used with new lock cylinders or to re-key your old one.

If they ever file or grind down wafers (that is what fits into the grooves of your key inside the lock), it's because they don't know what they are doing or they didn't have the re-key kit in stock. Do not file or grind wafers and do not allow mechanics to do it. If it was supposed to be done this way, they wouldn't make different wafers. If you are re-keying a lock yourself by changing around wafers, kudos to you. Just make sure they are flush with the surrounding metal when the key is inserted, and you are golden.

I know there are some mechanics that are reading this and turning red in the face. Well that's just too bad for you. If you do it the right way then that's great. It's the ones that do a half-ass job that should find a new profession. I wouldn't allow anyone that screwed up a re-key to ever touch my bike again.

So, most likely the problem you are having is this...if the mechanic is re-keying your new cylinders to match your old key, he has either used the wrong number wafer, or has filed or cut down the wafers that were in the cylinder.

Or... the lock cylinder was replaced in the lock 180 degrees out of turn. It is most likely the former.