PDA

View Full Version : Hey GS Riders! Am I A Wimp For Asking This?

GREENGO
11-11-2007, 01:43 AM
OOPS...SORRY...I POSTED IT HERE INSTEAD OF HEX HEADS! Okay, I know, I've gone soft in my old age and spent too much time on a sport touring bike (R1100RT), because I've fallen in love with the electrically controlled windshield (Just got back into bikes again five years ago. My previous bikes were uh...naked:blush and long trips just beat me to death). But now with my easily, on-the-fly adustable shield, I'm as as happy as can be.

So here's my question to all you GS guys; Would you consider yourself a wimp if BMW offered an electrically controlled windshild on your bike or would you consider yourself fortunate to have the adjustability at the touch of a button? I love the minimalistic appearance and the dual pupose funtionality of the GS but man, I'm spoiled with the electric shield...up in rain and bugs, down in heat or slow through town...it's great!

So what do you think? And, has anyone tried to take the motor and switch assembly off, lets say a wrecked bike, to mount on a GS?...just a random thought for all you guys who spend more time here than with your wives.:type

HODAG
11-11-2007, 01:57 AM
#1 thing I miss from the LT

wsteinborn
11-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Yes, you are a whimp for asking. :bolt

Forget what anyone else thinks, and just ride. :p

Threeteas
11-11-2007, 02:33 AM
What you've never had, you never miss.
GS Adv 1150

HankPfister
11-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Hey Greengo,
No, wouldn't say your a wimp just for askin'. :blah But I don't think it would be a good idea to put an adjustable shield on a GS, just wouldn't be in tune with the GS mission, and comparative simplicity to the RT. I just swapped from an '05 RT to an '07 GS, and while I do miss that windshield going up and down (and the heated seat!), I really like the lighter weight, and bare neccessities of the GS. I did go to a bigger than stock windshield tho.

BUBBAZANETTI
11-11-2007, 02:48 AM
OOPS...SORRY...I POSTED IT HERE INSTEAD OF HEX HEADS!

not a problem:whistle

charleshickman
11-11-2007, 02:15 PM
wimp definition - offensive term: an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody regarded as weak, timid, unassertive, or ineffectual

My first real bike (not counting a Kaw 450 chopper thing) was a '92 Honda 750 Nighthawk. I rode it for about a year before deciding windshields were the way to go. Every bike I've had since either came with one or I added one. The GS windshield is adjustable, just not on the fly. I'm ok with the one on my GS, due to the weight savings, simplicity yada yada yada. If they could add a windshield with electric adjustability, windshield washer/wiper, back scratcher etc, etc, without increasing the weight or complexity, I'd be first in line.

You don't mention your age, but if you over 50 and ride long distances on a motorcycle, I hope that removes us from the wimp category.

easy
11-11-2007, 03:37 PM
OOPS...SORRY...I POSTED IT HERE INSTEAD OF HEX HEADS! Okay, I know, I've gone soft in my old age and spent too much time on a sport touring bike (R1100RT), because I've fallen in love with the electrically controlled windshield (Just got back into bikes again five years ago. My previous bikes were uh...naked:blush and long trips just beat me to death). But now with my easily, on-the-fly adustable shield, I'm as as happy as can be.

So here's my question to all you GS guys; Would you consider yourself a wimp if BMW offered an electrically controlled windshild on your bike or would you consider yourself fortunate to have the adjustability at the touch of a button? I love the minimalistic appearance and the dual pupose funtionality of the GS but man, I'm spoiled with the electric shield...up in rain and bugs, down in heat or slow through town...it's great!

So what do you think? And, has anyone tried to take the motor and switch assembly off, lets say a wrecked bike, to mount on a GS?...just a random thought for all you guys who spend more time here than with your wives.:type

You are not a wimp at all. Some would argue that an electric windshield does not flow with the design, purpose or function of the GS. But that same logic, or resistance to change, is used to argue that Harleys should not have belt drives, and real men don't ride Vespas. But if you want it, go for it. To heck with what others think.

In the words of Olin Miller, "We probably wouldn't worry about what people think of us if we could know how seldom they do."

Easy :german

Rich
11-11-2007, 07:17 PM
From my experiences and maybe others, you are going to find a windscreen combination that works for you in lowering the noise and buffeting to an acceptable level, and that is where you are probably going to leave the angle all the time. Inseam and height factors play a big part here, and it seems to be different for everybody in what works best.

I found my combination with a Givi and the winglets, and once I found the angle that works best, that is where is has stayed.

Let us know if you come up with something better.

knary
11-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Fairings and windscreens are for wimps. :nod

HankPfister
11-12-2007, 01:40 AM
From my experiences and maybe others, you are going to find a windscreen combination that works for you......snippity.....snip.........
I found my combination with a Givi and the winglets, and once I found the angle that works best, that is where is has stayed. .....snip.........

Hey, thats the same settup that works for me, a Givi about mid station, and Winglets from the Adventure. :brow

rob nye
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM

Hey now,

Being a whimp has nothing to do with it.

Having said this as a happy GS owner I would be mighty unhappy if they started putting stuff like electric windshields on the GS. Too much weight and of absolutely no use for the type of riding the GS was conceived for.

As an aside I was at a product planning meeting for the future LT with a few folks from Munich yesterday and they mentioned that nobody ever suggested they add an electric windscreen. They added it after hearing from riders of their issues. They brought this up because people were trying to offer solutions when the engineers wanted to hear the problems first.

Fortunately for us after the goldwing guy went on about how he gets 60,000 miles out of a rear tire and explanied he achieved this by running a car tire the rest of his input was filtered accordingly.

Here is a shot of the Goldwing with a tire from a Mini mounted on the rear. He was especially proud of the fact it is a run flat tire too. :nono Says he gets around 40,000 out of a reat tire. :brow

http://RPB.smugmug.com/photos/220683035-M.jpg

PGlaves
11-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Au contraire! The GS is fabled as an over-the-road hauler to get you to the bad road or roadless place. Then across those miles of mishap, back to the pavement to haul you many miles home.

So you want a windshield that doesn't obstruct your view of the bad stuff - but also provides excellent protection for long-long days on the road getting there. Everything is a compromise.

I used to ride an R80GS. I'd ride it 75 or 100 miles out to the Flint Hills, and then spend the day riding graded or grassy roads out in the ranchland. I would take the windshield off, put it over the fence into the grass and ride. Then retrieve it and reinstall it to ride the highways home.

Enter adjustability!! Great idea. Electric maybe not. Wunderlich has a neat adjustable shield for the R1100S - two knobs to loosen and presto chango. If they made one that fit my F650 I'd buy it!

I have not seen a well executed version for the GS but it would be perfect for the dual purposes of the GS.

rob nye
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Au contraire! The GS is fabled as an over-the-road hauler to get you to the bad road or roadless place. Then across those miles of mishap, back to the pavement to haul you many miles home.

So you want a windshield that doesn't obstruct your view of the bad stuff - but also provides excellent protection for long-long days on the road getting there. Everything is a compromise.

I used to ride an R80GS. I'd ride it 75 or 100 miles out to the Flint Hills, and then spend the day riding graded or grassy roads out in the ranchland. I would take the windshield off, put it over the fence into the grass and ride. Then retrieve it and reinstall it to ride the highways home.

Enter adjustability!! Great idea. Electric maybe not. Wunderlich has a neat adjustable shield for the R1100S - two knobs to loosen and presto chango. If they made one that fit my F650 I'd buy it!

I have not seen a well executed version for the GS but it would be perfect for the dual purposes of the GS.

The stock screen and winglets on the R12GS Adventure do a wonderful job and the screen is adjustable.

The stock setup is so good that if I were going to use the GSA for an Iron Butt Rally I would keep the stock screen.

I know a few folks that have retrofitted the winglets to a regular GS with good results. I hear a lot of complaints about the screen on the GS and very few about the Adventure setup.

The_Veg
11-14-2007, 03:40 AM
I leave mine in one position, so I don' need no steenking electric-adjuster-thingee.

That said, the stock screen sucks- it's horribly noisy, I suspect due to all of those edges and angles in it.

I'm really tall and find that I get best results with the screen all the way down. I wonder if the winglets help more with higher-up positions, because several times I've tried placing a hand where the winglet would go and honestly, I can't tell any difference.

randyd8511
11-14-2007, 03:53 AM
If anyhthing else were added to the GS, I would love to have elec. cruise control. I miss that!:clap

mistercindy
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Not really on point, but here goes... I couldn't deal with the insane buffeting I experienced on the 12GS at highway speeds. After a couple of failed cheaper solutions I was ready to trade it in and get an RT. But after some research I decided to bite the bullet and invest in an an Aeroflow which completely transformed the bike. I still get decent clean air on my arms and torso, but the insane buffeting is gone.

The Aeroflow is one position only, but I've never felt a need to lower or remove it. I can see that'd it'd be irritating if the bulk of your riding was serious dirt riding where you need see stuff just a few feet in front of the bike. But the vast majority of my riding is on pavement, and what is off pavement doesn't bother me so much that I've thought it worth removing the Aeroflow.

gulfcoastbeemer
11-19-2007, 01:43 AM
As an aside I was at a product planning meeting for the future LT with a few folks from Munich yesterday...

???

papawheelie
11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I do like dirt riding and I would be afraid of breaking it. Everything else is fairly replaceable with a small drop, you know a new electric motor for windscreen would cost at least 5 or 6 bucks. Maybe a bit more.

bmwron
12-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Hey Greengo,
No, wouldn't say your a wimp just for askin'. :blah But I don't think it would be a good idea to put an adjustable shield on a GS, just wouldn't be in tune with the GS mission, and comparative simplicity to the RT. I just swapped from an '05 RT to an '07 GS, and while I do miss that windshield going up and down (and the heated seat!), I really like the lighter weight, and bare neccessities of the GS. I did go to a bigger than stock windshield tho.

I'm curious what w/s you went with ans are you satisfied with it? I have only had my gs for a couple months and love it except for the wind buffeting and instability on the highway in crosswinds and in truck turbulance. I have a Parabellum tall w/s on order. I would like to hear from other gs owners what they did to address this issue. My 96 K1100LT was rock solid on the highway and now it looks like i'm drunk when it's windy out. Looking forward to some help please.