PDA

View Full Version : Little convex mirrors

FredRydr
11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I would like to try a pair of those stick-on convex mirrors, but the ones I see in the auto stores are slightly too large for my Roadster's Mickey Mouse-style mirrors (same as on the GS). They rob too much mirror surface.

Has anyone found a source for smaller ones, or devised a way to cut one to fit nicely against the round edge of the bike's mirror?

Fred

deilenberger
11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I would like to try a pair of those stick-on convex mirrors, but the ones I see in the auto stores are slightly too large for my Roadster's Mickey Mouse-style mirrors (same as on the GS). They rob too much mirror surface.

Has anyone found a source for smaller ones, or devised a way to cut one to fit nicely against the round edge of the bike's mirror?

FredHmmmm...

Fred,

Actually you want them mounted in what looks like a non-intuitive place on the Mickey-Mouse-mirrors. I found this first on my K75S (which had round mirrors) - and it holds true even on the Mickey ones.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/deilenberger/R1200R%20GPS%20Mount-shield%20bracket/GPSMountandotherpics009.jpg

Mounted at the top of the mirror - the spot mirrors don't block your view to the rear - just to the sky - and they're easy to watch out of the corner of your eyes. They are much more important in the winter - when bundling up tends to make my neck less flexible and my head becomes difficult to turn.

I seem to recall these are 1.25" diameter - but whatever the standard size in the stores is - it's them. If you can find ones with metal bases they're better. The plastic based ones tend to buzz a bit (mirror isn't a super tight fit in the plastic..)

Only rule: Mirrors NEVER say YES - but they can say NO.

Situational awareness is a good thing also..

ANDYVH
11-07-2007, 02:34 PM
On my R1100RS I installed mirrors from a GSXR600 on the fairing. I also added the small convex spot mirrors. But, I pried the mirror from the plastic base and attached it to the mirrors using GOOP adhesive. They have stayed on just fine and they don't have that black plastic edge interferring with the view.

I think the convex mirror itself is simply chromed plastic, so they probably can be trimmed or shaped with a small sander.

ultracyclist
11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I have little convex mirrors on my roadster micky mouse mirrors.

They are as distracting as helpful.

Unless you are married to Mickey Mouse, consider a pair of K11rs (and similar K mirrors).
It will be a tight squeeze for the mirror stalks, but they WORK!

There was a thrread on this topic about a year ago.

darcym
11-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I swapped my dinky round R 1150R stock mirrors for some K 11rs mirrors ... what a huge improvement!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/doomscribe/BMW%20R1150/_Q8L5479.jpg

On the Left side, you have to cut out a little bit on the bottom piece (the mirrors have a black plastic spacer that sits on top of the receiver) to give you room for the choke lever. Otherwise, they fit perfect and give a much better view.

henzilla
11-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I swapped my dinky round R 1150R stock mirrors for some K 11rs mirrors ... what a huge improvement!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/doomscribe/BMW%20R1150/_Q8L5479.jpg

On the Left side, you have to cut out a little bit on the bottom piece (the mirrors have a black plastic spacer that sits on top of the receiver) to give you room for the choke lever. Otherwise, they fit perfect and give a much better view.

I'll second that, seems to have less vibrations in view and looks great on the roadster as well as the RT...Not that I get to ride the roadster anymore:laugh
I rarely use the throttle advance lever, it still worked without me filing on the mirror.

downhillhunter
11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Midwest Cycle Supply has them. They're about an inch in diameter. Under 5 bucks and they work well. We have them on all of our bikes.

They're small, don't take up much room on the big mirror. The images are small, but large enough to see a vehicle in your blind spot, which works great if driving in heavy traffic. Placement is critcal. For us, lower, outboard corner of the mirrors.

Lets you know if there is a vehicle there...if you don't see one...still nothing beats a quick peek-see.

I think they're called 'Commuter Mirrors'.

http://midwestcycle.com/

Downhill Hunter

ANDYVH
11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Here's how I have the mirrors set up on my 94 R1100RS:

thtduck
11-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Gota love that slogan. Just got these from the local BMW dealer here @ $4.95 for two.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/1925837247_7a977dedf6.jpg

GREGFEELER
11-09-2007, 06:45 AM
If you really want to see all that is behind you, check out the mirror inserts from Multivex: https://secure57.softcomca.com/multivexmirror_net/index.html. They make them for a number of different BMW mirrors. They come with special thickness of double-sided tape to attach on top of your existing mirrors.

The photo is a before and after with K1200RS mirrors. The inner inch or so of these inserts work like a conventional mirror, but they curve progressively as they go further out to the outer edges. The way I have mine adjusted I can see both straight back and far enough to each side that as I loose someone in my peripheral vision (passing them), I pick them up in the mirrors. I can also merge onto most Interstates and see enough of what's behind me to not need to do a head check. In heavy traffic I can keep looking ahead but still see what's going on to either side. They do take some getting used to, and may not be for everyone, but I'm hooked.

FredRydr
11-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Gota love that slogan. Just got these from the local BMW dealer here @ $4.95 for two.What is the diameter?

Thanks.

Fred
'07 R1200R

downhillhunter
11-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Yep, DogEye...those would be the exact mirrors that I mentioned.

I like'em and the price is right!

Downhill Hunter

thtduck
11-10-2007, 01:12 PM
What is the diameter?

Thanks.

Fred
'07 R1200R

They are 1-3/8" DIA. Million + mile mirror driving trucker likes these little guys. Been watching approaching traffic from behind on both sides and I'm very satisfied they see all my immediate blind spots.:hide

thtduck
11-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Yep, DogEye...those would be the exact mirrors that I mentioned.

I like'em and the price is right!

Downhill Hunter

Cool downhillhunter, they are just right for me.