PDA

View Full Version : Anyoine see a R1200RS?

ANDYVH
10-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Am I the only one wishing BMW would re-introduce the RS -airhead fairing on the new R1200R? I still think the RS fairing is THE best fairing ever made. The new R1200R, to me begs to become the RS of this century.

I really wish BMW would come out with a new, updated version of the RS fairing.

For now I'll dream with this lousy rendition I did in Microsoft Paint. Anyone ever try it on PhotoShop? I see real potential here! Maybe I'll just get a R1200R and modify an old RS fairing to fit, with new HID lighting, integral airflow vents, interior storage pockets, hand flare guards. Hmmmm,.......

Guess I better get my 76 R100RS out of storage and start measuring.

Oh, and thanks to the members whose bike pictures I, uh, borrowed.

DSBMW1
10-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Looks good!!! I would buy one.

grossjohann
10-29-2007, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Andy VH;253996]I really wish BMW would come out with a new, updated version of the RS fairing.[QUOTE]

BMW doesn't have it, but...

http://hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com/BMW2/R1200R/R1200RSSr_NLSilverSilverLProfileNoBags_email.jpg

http://hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com/BMWs/R1200R.htm

deilenberger
10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Indeed - the Hannigan does just what you're asking for.. makes the Roadster look like a bike from the 70's..

The ST was the replacement for the R1150RS.. oilhead RS's and hexhead ST's have never sold all that well. BMW discontinued the oilhead RS for a few years, and then brought it back with the 1150 engine updates.

They could - in many people's opinions - have done better with the ST, which was targetted more for sport than touring... and one might hope they have thoughts of an R1200RS in mind someday, but IMHO - without the rattly wobbly RS fairing from the airheads. A modern fairing (as several people have shown photoshops of) matched to the Roadster lines would be just the ticket..

darrylri
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
They could - in many people's opinions - have done better with the ST, which was targetted more for sport than touring...
Careful, there! I am quite pleased with the ST, and with Verholen bar backs, it's every bit the combination of sport and tour that the R11xxRSes were.

braddog
10-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I would think that the lack of an R-RS model would indeed set off a boom of sorts for Hannigan.

The R1200R with the Hannigan fairing would work great, IMHO.

deilenberger
10-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I would think that the lack of an R-RS model would indeed set off a boom of sorts for Hannigan.

The R1200R with the Hannigan fairing would work great, IMHO.It's my personal opinion.. but having seen the Hannigan fairing on an R1200R (at the RA Rally in Asheville) - it's not complimentary to the bike. It IMHO - adds too much mass to the front of the bike, and it's rather bulbous appearance clashes with the taut and lean appearance of an R1200R.

Of course some may like it.. which is why we're all not riding my bike.

ANDYVH
10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
One of my club members, Ken McHugh, rides a new R1200R with the Hannigan fairing. He really likes the new Hannigan on his R. But then he is a deep-down Hannigan fan as his 88 R80 had a Hannigan fairing for all of its 379,000 miles. By the way, as of last Saturday Mac completed his 1st million BMW miles. WHHOOO HHOOOO!

I have a Hannigan fairing for my 78 Suzuki GS1000. It is a very effective fairing but it is big. And even the new Hannigan on the R1200R moves the visual wieght balance heavy to the front in my opinion. The older Hannigan is even more so that way. I have a club member who has the older Hannigan on his R65, and it is really nose heavy.

I guess that's why I favor the visual lines of the RS fairing to the Hannigan. It is a good fairing but is not visually overwhelming on the bike. Perhaps if Hannigan made an actual 3/4 size model versus the current new model which is basically the standard Hannigan moved back slightly on the R1200R, and trimmed in length somewhat. To the old RS-Airheads favor, the handlebar was flat and narrow, which easily turned inside the narrow RS fairing.

santacruzdave
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Take a look at the Scout Fairing from Parabellum for the R1200R. I think it offers both balance and protection. Its on my wish list.

http://www.parabellum.com/

RINTY
10-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Andy:

The originial RS fairing is, indeed a thing of beauty, but there is a significant issue with it in that it will not accomodate a handlebar that is wide enough to provide adequate bar leverage for the rider.

I rode an airhead RS for many years, and really liked it, but when I transitioned to an oiler RS, with its wider bars I could not believe how much improved the steering precision was. The trade off however, was uncovered hands.

Certainly a fairing could be developed that would afford both good hand protection and good leverage, but the challenge would be to make it pleasing to the eye.

Rinty

TomR1200
10-29-2007, 11:32 PM
http://www.motorrad-martin.de/upload/Edition%20011.jpg

http://www.motorrad-martin.de/upload/Edition%20002.jpg

grossjohann
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
What is that? R1200ST with a K1200S headlight?

How many has Martin made?

henzilla
10-30-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.motorrad-martin.de/upload/Edition%20011.jpg

http://www.motorrad-martin.de/upload/Edition%20002.jpg

Oh, Now you've done it! :brow That does look cool. where were these?

jimvonbaden
11-07-2007, 04:29 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/Misc/R1200RSport.jpg

THIS is the R1200R Sport, ot the equivelent for the R1200RS!

Jim :brow

ANDYVH
11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Alright Jim, where did you get that picture? I work part time at a BMW cycle dealership and I have not seen any BMW official announcement of that bike.

I like the looks of it for sure.

kbasa
11-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Indeed - the Hannigan does just what you're asking for.. makes the Roadster look like a really, really ugly bike from the 70's..

:)

kbasa
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Alright Jim, where did you get that picture? I work part time at a BMW cycle dealership and I have not seen any BMW official announcement of that bike.

Photoshop.

grossjohann
11-07-2007, 04:05 PM
+1 I've seen this image before...

BMW, if you're listening, R1200RS would be nice...

jimvonbaden
11-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Andy VH

Photoshop.

Yes it is, but that is what it would take for me to give up my GS! That, or I keep my GS and get the awesome R1200R for a hooligan bike!

Jim :brow

deilenberger
11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
:)

Wait'a second dave..

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Indeed - the Hannigan does just what you're asking for.. makes the Roadster look like a really, really ugly bike from the 70's.."

I never said the "really, really ugly" part. I was thinking it.. but I never said it.. :drink

The_Veg
11-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Photoshop.

Now that you mention it, I do see the 'K' on the fairing and the subtle difference in paint-colour. Damn. I Like the looks of that R1200R Sport.

In a semi-related area, I think that the R1200R would be a great platform for a couple of retro-models if BMW wanted to get on that bandwagon. It wouldn't be too tough to gussy it up to pay tribute to the original S (I know there is a current S...) or even the RS. I'll bet they'd be gorgeous bikes.

braddog
11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
You'd think that if they can make a K1200R "Sport", that an R1200R "Sport" would be in the works as well. I kind of doubt it, though.

That photoshop looks pretty dang good to me, that's a bike I'd buy.

deilenberger
11-08-2007, 06:13 PM
In a semi-related area, I think that the R1200R would be a great platform for a couple of retro-models if BMW wanted to get on that bandwagon. It wouldn't be too tough to gussy it up to pay tribute to the original S (I know there is a current S...) or even the RS. I'll bet they'd be gorgeous bikes.You can find this already in the aftermarket - there are a number of retrofit fairings that are styled after the R90S for the roadster, and some aftermarket companies have gone to the same smoke paint style..

I don't think you'll see BMW do this - reason being - they are trying to get to a younger market with the new bikes. They KNOW they have us.. we own and buy the bikes they make already. Problem is - we're all getting older, so they're concentrating the new bike efforts on bikes that attract younger buyers. They may have learned a bit from Ducati - who made some wonderful looking retro-replica bikes - that sat on the dealers showroom floors for ages. I think my local multi-brand dealer still has a brand new Paul Smart replica sitting there (heavily discounted, but not selling..)

I think something along the lines of the fairing in the photo - a bit different from a K bike fairing, but angular (without the styling of the ST) might be a good seller - but traditionally - BMW had problems selling the R1100RS/R1150RS - so I don't think they'll be rushing one to production unless it's a minor change that gives a new model.

grossjohann
11-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Humm... I think the RS is a GREAT all-around bike. :D

progress49
11-09-2007, 02:45 AM
... as is the ST

deilenberger
11-09-2007, 05:01 AM
And they might be - but not enough people bought them..