PDA

View Full Version : 2005 R1200GS Brake Servo Failure

Supersig357
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
My servo brakes have ceased to function on my GS. I rode home from work the other day and parked her in the garage. I awoke the next morning, backed her down the driveway and started to work. Luckily, my first attempted stop was at the end of my street. Brakees no workee. I glide to a somewhat less abrupt stop than anticipated, turn around and head back to the garage.

Lord. Why?

Any clues what might have occurred? I'm waiting for Tuesday to send the bike into the shop. She's still under warranty, but this is a stupid hassle.

At least I didn't implant myself into the back of a Toyota.

Sup'

Supersig357
10-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I am stupid.

Brake lever touching hand guard.

marcopolo
10-22-2007, 12:38 AM
I am stupid.

Brake lever touching hand guard.

It's not the first time, so you're not stupid.

soffiler
10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Same thing just happened to a guy on the GS email list. You should have seen some blinking lights warning you that there was a problem - BMW's way of keeping you from implanting yourself in the back end of a Toyota.

Supersig357
10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Same thing just happened to a guy on the GS email list. You should have seen some blinking lights warning you that there was a problem - BMW's way of keeping you from implanting yourself in the back end of a Toyota.

Indeed. There is a blinking red light. It is the same blinking red light that blinks every time I start the bike. It will generally turn off after I move a few feet. I'm told it turns off after the ABS sensors sense the wheels move X number of feet. It obviousely didn't turn off this time. The distance between starting to ride and attempting to stop was 20 yards. It could have been more. I was lucky.

I realize it was a minor amount of inattention on my part. I realize the bike retained residual braking. My mind didn't immediately compensate for the lack of servos. It took a half-second to realize I needed to squeeze harder. The bike 10 feet beyond the point I wanted to stop. I rode her back to the garage.

Had there been a Toyota 20 yards from my point of departure, I would have plowed into it at 1-5 MPH.

That sucks in several languages.

'Sup:sick

Supersig357
10-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Ah, heck. Forget the whole thing. I just rode her home from work.

I love my freakin' bike:heart !!

redclfco
10-23-2007, 12:00 AM
She blinks fast when touching the brush guard, and slow during normal start up...

I too learned the hard way, and a rather embarrasing moment at the dealers!

I rode my GS today...!

Red