PDA

View Full Version : Broken Plug while Replacing Low beam

AZ_OLDGUY
10-19-2007, 06:59 PM
So on a little trip to Sedona AZ, A message appeared my dash, I dug out my manual and it told me that I had a burned out light in the front.

So I found an local Checkers Auto part store, determined that I was looking at a defective low beam light, removed the little cover under the dash, and then reached in to pull off the wiring plug, which promptly fell apart in my hands. After a moment of despair, I removed the old bulb, and purchased the new replacement bulb anyway, and replaced it, and carefully replaced the two now plug less leads on the two leads of the bulb, and bingo, it works and the message went out on the dash.

So, has this happened to any of you? Did I have a defective plug or are they supposed to fall apart in your hands?

Should I just ignore this and assume the plug is unnecessary or should I ask the dealer to fix it under warranty?

Glenn

BMWRich58
10-19-2007, 09:00 PM
So on a little trip to Sedona AZ, A message appeared my dash, I dug out my manual and it told me that I had a burned out light in the front.

So I found an local Checkers Auto part store, determined that I was looking at a defective low beam light, removed the little cover under the dash, and then reached in to pull off the wiring plug, which promptly fell apart in my hands. After a moment of despair, I removed the old bulb, and purchased the new replacement bulb anyway, and replaced it, and carefully replaced the two now plug less leads on the two leads of the bulb, and bingo, it works and the message went out on the dash.

So, has this happened to any of you? Did I have a defective plug or are they supposed to fall apart in your hands?

Should I just ignore this and assume the plug is unnecessary or should I ask the dealer to fix it under warranty?

Glenn

Heat might have made the plastic brittle....
What kind of bike we talkin' about?

AZ_OLDGUY
10-20-2007, 12:54 AM
What kind of bike we talkin' about?

It is a 06 R1200RT, I can't imagine that heat is an issue, I have about 16000 miles on it now, and this is the first bulb I have replaced.
Glenn

charleshickman
10-20-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm a little down on BMW right now. Based on my experience trying to get the front brakes sorted out on my '06 R1200GS, I predict that your experience will go something like this. They will apply a fix that fixes nothing and send you out the door with a "we're doing a hell of a job" smile. You will contact BMWNA customer support, who will encourage the dealer to be less blatant about the bum's rush. The dealer will contact the area rep. After two months and threats of litigation, they will attempt to actually repair the problem. Best wishes.

henzilla
10-20-2007, 08:58 PM
It is a 06 R1200RT, I can't imagine that heat is an issue, I have about 16000 miles on it now, and this is the first bulb I have replaced.
Glenn

another San Antonio member had the same issue on his '05 RT the other day. I believe he just pushed the terminals back on the new bulb and was going to look into brittle plastic issues this week. Said the housing just crumbled!

gulfcoastbeemer
11-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Well, I just had the exact same problem replacing the right-side low-beam headlamp bulb on my wife's '05 R1200RT.

While installing a new bulb, the darn headlamp socket crumbled in my fingers -- leaving one wire lead adrift. I had to attach the loose wire directly to the bulb -- sans socket. Ugh!

Upon closer inspection, I have to agree the socket on this bike is a rather poorly designed, flimsy piece of you-know-what.

Changing a headlamp bulb always required one to be a bit of a contortionist. Apparently, it also requires one to be very lucky.

I will have to compare the sockets of my wife's '05 RT with those on my '07 RT to see if the design has been beefed-up in any way.

henzilla
11-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I tried to order new sockets from BMW...not a seperate part #

all three of mine are crumbling now and I have to push the seperate terminals on the bulb now, I will break the assy down and replace with auto sockets when I can find them for H7's.

The_Veg
11-18-2008, 04:18 PM
16K Is a bit late for a low-beam to be failing, from what I've gathered reading here for a few years. Apparently most hexheads seem to eat low beam lamps about every 12K.

mistercindy
11-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't think heat would be an issue. I live in north Texas where we have 100+ degree temperatures for a couple of months each year, 90+ degree temperatures for four months, and during that time the highways are often 110+, and among the BMW riders I know I've never heard of the issue.

Changing a headlamp bulb always required one to be a bit of a contortionist.
I'd have to agree with this. I bought a pair of cheap needle nosed pliers for road trips because, without them, I don't think I could get my hands in there to change it.

16K Is a bit late for a low-beam to be failing, from what I've gathered reading here for a few years. Apparently most hexheads seem to eat low beam lamps about every 12K.
True. In my experiece the regular old Sylvania get 12,000 to 15,000 miles. Anything brighter, like a Silverstar, decreases the life to ~6,000 miles.

heavyjetpfe
11-26-2008, 08:28 PM
I had the same problem. When trying to change the right headlight bulb the socket crumbled in my hand. I found a replacement socket and pig tails at Advance Auto parts. cost was 3.98. I took out the replacement wire and just snapped in the BMW wires. perfect fit.

joelaw
11-28-2008, 06:42 AM
I have 22.000 on my 05 RT, both low beam bulbs are the original.

Our climate in the summer ranges from 105 to 110 in the day and the low to mid 80 at night.

rglassma
11-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I have 22.000 on my 05 RT, both low beam bulbs are the original.

Our climate in the summer ranges from 105 to 110 in the day and the low to mid 80 at night.

That is great life for your low beams. I would expect a failure any time.. I replaced mine at about 18K .. The left side isn't too bad but the right side is a PIA !!!

greenwald
11-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Glenn

YUP.

Happened to me when I did the disconnect for a bulb change on my R1200RT.

Was able to put the leads back on the bulb, and since the access disk essentially seals the headlight assembly from dirt and moisture, I'll run it this way, and have it replaced by the dealer should it act up.

As for the plastic, I don't think it was a heat issue.....just too thin and too cheap.

MPATROVSKY
12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I'd heard about this and it was one of the reasons I installed HID low beams. It removes the OEM socket from the area of the bulb and replaces it with a high quality soft silicone plug that mates to the HID bulb. The OEM connector is used as a place to plug in the leads going to the ballast to switch the lights on and off.

mtboulder
12-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Had the same problem on an '05 GS. Heat was a factor as there was some melting around one of the wires. I had changed the bulb about one month earlier and I suspect the fitting in the socket was loose thus causing some resistance/heat.

Bought a new H7 socket from NAPA for under $7 with two wires coming out of it and soldered it into the existing wires.

SilverRT
12-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm on my third set of H7's and try to work the plug off gently. I've brocken the right side already. I use the electrical connector grease for lights. That helps them come off a little easier. I think I'll do some proactive replacement of both connectors the next time I have the front end torn down. BTW I'm getting 12,000 miles on my low beams as well.

tbryant
01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
had mine go out at 59K on the right side (OEM bulb). What's the trick to replacing the right side?

Terry

OHBobH
01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Terry,

I'll tell you the trick. After you unscrew the big black plastic cover, just find a 4 or 5 year old kid with small hands and fingers to undo the wire fastener, then merely have the kid replace the bulb and reattach the wire fastener!

Otherwise, prepare for a lot of contorting and grumbling on your part, but it can be done. I know, I replaced all three ( at different tomes this past summer)around 22k to 25k miles. Good luck!