PDA

View Full Version : Got our Micatech Cases!!!

klrobins
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
... We finally got our Micatech Cases, and I couldnÔÇÖt be more impressed!!!

We took the opportunity on Canadian Thanksgiving to take a fall ride from Ontario through NY, VT and NH for the fall colors, and to drop by the Micatech Shop to pick up and install our cases.

Bob and Sue from Micatech were AMAZING hosts, and the installation went very smoothly. Bob let us pull both our bikes into his shop and give us access to all the tools we could need to do the install. He was there step by step to give us pointers on the install. His approach was to allow us to install the cases on our own, with his guidance, so that we would be familiar enough with the cases that we could troubleshoot any future issues (not that future issues are expected or anything). I think this was a great approach!!! We installed two sets of side cases on our bikes and were off in no time!

I did a lot of research on hard cases before choosing micatech and I'm certain I made the right choice. First and foremost I like that when I take the cases off, the mounting hardware is almost invisible! This is what steered me away from many of the other brands. Also, I like the fact that the micatech cases are side opening. We tend to load a wide duffle on top of the bike across the cases, so top opening would be far less convenient for ÔÇ£on the roadÔÇØ accessÔÇØ.

I also bought the custom cut micatech reflective decal kit. Basically this consists of large custom cut black reflective decals; one on the lower rear of the case, one on the lower side and one on the front. They completely blend in with the bag in the day and provide great visibility at night.

Anyway here are some pics.

klrobins
10-17-2007, 11:25 AM
rear no flash

klrobins
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
rear with flash

klrobins
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
side no flash

klrobins
10-17-2007, 11:27 AM
side with flash

klrobins
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
side, no bag... nice hidden hardware

klrobins
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
side close up... i had to adjust my ohlins knob... but this position is good

REBECCAV
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Awesome looking cases!! They look great on your GSs.

SNC1923
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
I really like the Micatechs. They sure look good on your bikes. I'm sure you'll have many happy miles with them.

Nice Che banner.

You should send a handful of these shots to Bob and Sue. They're nice shots.

The_Veg
10-17-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm saving my pennies for Micatech cases, for the same reasons you got them. I've heard nothing but good about them and when I looked at some close-up at Lima I was really impressed with the design and construction. My GS didn't come with any cases so until I get the pennies saved I'm winging it with big tailbags and duffels...gonna be sweet to have some real cargo-space again!

klrobins
10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I "winged" it all summer with soft saddle bags... until I melted right through them and the litre of oil in them!!!! I'm glad I took my time to decide before rushing into a purchase!!!

I'm saving my pennies for Micatech cases, for the same reasons you got them. I've heard nothing but good about them and when I looked at some close-up at Lima I was really impressed with the design and construction. My GS didn't come with any cases so until I get the pennies saved I'm winging it with big tailbags and duffels...gonna be sweet to have some real cargo-space again!

ssls6
10-18-2007, 01:51 AM
Here are mine.

http://ssls6.smugmug.com/photos/160256132-S.jpg

paracommando
10-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi Gang,
Sorry if I am being redundant here.
I am trading my G650XChallenge this week-end for a GS Adventure. I am ready for my big-boy bike now. I was planning on getting the BMW side cases. Not a good idea? While I have visions of grand, multi 1000 mile trips, reality is probably more like 500 mile trips in the US, maybe Canada and Alaska.
Help!
Thanks,

jenunn01
10-19-2007, 04:22 PM
You will definitely have less volume in the BMW cases than the Micatech's or Jesse bags and IMHO either of these bags will definitely match the more rugged look of your GS ADV than BMW cases. I have Jesse's on my GS (great quality & service) and am very happy with them though the Micatechs look like a great bag system too.
Enjoy your new GS!!

paracommando
10-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your reply.
I will reserach the Jesse's before I sign on the dotted lign tomorrow. I like the idea of the rugged looks and I dont like the ugly mounting bars if the cases are not on the bike....
:bikes

Stopwatch
10-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Kristi,

You'll love 'em! Mine have let me and my wife travel for weeks. I use lengthwise zippered duffel bags to sort our stuff, and the system sure beats have three big river bags strapped on top of BMW saddlebags, as we did on our K75 and K1200RS. After two years, they're the best.

And when other riders say, "Gosh they're HUGE!" just smile and reply, "Yep."

They work; they're dust and water proof. In short, an amazinly good product.