PDA

View Full Version : 07 R1200RT comments and questions

RYEFLYER
10-15-2007, 01:41 AM
I just bought an 07 R12RT a couple of days ago. It goes back for its 600 service on Thursday. A couple of points, and any feedback welcome...

Usual dinky horn so I am installing something seriously loud at the service. Same as my GS - I am disappointed that the horn is so tinny and weak.

Fuel gauge erratic. Never shows more than 3/4 full even when I have topped it off carefully. However, seems to be fine at the lower end which is important.

I am cleaning (one or two) bug guts off the inside of the windshield! How does that work?!

After the experience of my GS, I am having to be more careful pulling away in 1st; gear ratio such that it takes a little more throttle care. Will that improve with some miles on it? One concern is smoking the clutch with a pillion...

The low beam is amazingly wide angle at night, but I have had a few opposite direction cars give me high beams because they think I am on high beam myself. Should I be adjusting the beam angle? Will talk to dealer...

Dealer said noone is making flashing rear brake light for this bike, like I had on the GS. Anyone know different?

I am getting Zumo GPS fitted as an included toy with the deal. Any comments on how it operates? My GPS had a BMW GPSII which I did not care for very much...

First 600 mile impressions are very good, apart from above notes. Very quiet and very comfortable...it certainly enjoys Route 211 :clap

Rory

deilenberger
10-15-2007, 03:30 AM
I just bought an 07 R12RT a couple of days ago. It goes back for its 600 service on Thursday. A couple of points, and any feedback welcome...

Usual dinky horn so I am installing something seriously loud at the service. Same as my GS - I am disappointed that the horn is so tinny and weak.
Some R1200R owners have fitted better horns... dual horns. I believe the R1200RT wiring harness is already outfitted to use dual horns.. it's just a matter of buying them and mounting/plugging them in. I've seen it on a forum somewhere - with photos - but where eludes me at the moment.

Fuel gauge erratic. Never shows more than 3/4 full even when I have topped it off carefully. However, seems to be fine at the lower end which is important.
Warranty item. The sensing strip may need replacement or recalibration. See the dealer..

I am cleaning (one or two) bug guts off the inside of the windshield! How does that work?!

After the experience of my GS, I am having to be more careful pulling away in 1st; gear ratio such that it takes a little more throttle care. Will that improve with some miles on it? One concern is smoking the clutch with a pillion...
It gets better.. but uphill takeoffs into a turn off camber are still a bit challenging.. :)

The low beam is amazingly wide angle at night, but I have had a few opposite direction cars give me high beams because they think I am on high beam myself. Should I be adjusting the beam angle? Will talk to dealer...
More likely the height of the beam. Talk to dealer - or see if your manual has instructions.

Dealer said noone is making flashing rear brake light for this bike, like I had on the GS. Anyone know different?
RunNLites has a flashing add-on, http://www.run-n-lites.com/products.asp the Lite-Blaser works just fine. Highly recommended. Friends noticed it - and ended up ordering their own. No wire cutting required.. and doesn't trigger any CANBUS failures.

I am getting Zumo GPS fitted as an included toy with the deal. Any comments on how it operates? My GPS had a BMW GPSII which I did not care for very much...

First 600 mile impressions are very good, apart from above notes. Very quiet and very comfortable...it certainly enjoys Route 211 :clap

Rory

HTH,

SilverRT
10-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Fuel Guage:
Look close at the gauge. It fooled me too. When it is at the 3/4 mark it really is at the full mark. I'm not sure why they marked the gauge that way.

Bugs:
I'd like to know that to. I never saw bugs on the wrong side of the screen on my R1150.

Lights:
I added PIA's and I get about every 10th car flashing me. I believe the lights are adjustable but I've never considered it.

Horn: I changed mine out with two. I can be heard now.

First Gear:
I've not noticed a change. I have 12K on my bike. I've just got used to powering up through first gear.

Flashing Rear Light:
I installed Hyperlites and they work fine. I took my power off of the rear power outlet.

GPS:
I have a Navigator III and it works great. This is my first unit so I can't compare it to others.

600 Miles:
After the 6,000 miles service I'm sure it runs even better. Enjoy your RT.

dancogan
10-15-2007, 12:14 PM
You might check with your dealer to see if they can get you the horn that they used in the '05 RT's. Mine is loud!

greenwald
10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Early production '05 R1200RT's had horns that sound like a freight train (like mine has). However, later models that year were downgraded to weak, little impotent beeps similar to most Jap bikes.

Replace the horn.

Fuel gauge is touchy, but a new strip might be what you need. Mine is OK, except that when it reads "0 Miles To Empty," I have 1 gallon left in the tank.

1st gear 'feel' will improve with miles - be patient. It is also about you, the rider, becoming more acclimated to the nuances of this bike.

Airflow is a fickle phenom - slipstream can whip bugs around and crash them into the inside of a windshield - has happened more than once to me. Pesky critters!

I installed a TailBlazer bulb at the brakelight of my R1200RT - no additional wiring needed. It flashes when brakes are touched, and eventually goes solid red.

Good luck - enjoy this bike. Best one I have owned!

RYEFLYER
10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the input. I think a little Venturi effect is sucking those little buggers around - it was kind of funny to be wiping away at the corpse bits, wondering why they would not come off and then realize they are on the rider side of the windshield.

The horn will be changed on Thursday although the service manager at Mortons says the original needs to remain to satisfy the Can Bus system. (?) i.e. Two horns or maybe 3 total?!

Regarding 1st gear - I realize it is for me to acclimate, after the GS, but hate to strain that clutch.

Will look for the Tail Blazer - thanks!

Great day for riding for riding here in Virginia today, but have to wait now for the 600 miler on Thursday (now at 650)

Thanks all - Rory

bmwdean
10-15-2007, 01:51 PM
I put dual horns on my '07, and Hyper Lite flashing brake LEDs.

http://bmwdean.home.att.net/r1200rt.htm

Eureka
10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Take another look at your windshield, it has provisions for airflow up the back side as well as the front. Has to do with minimizing turbulence; thus bugs on both the front and back.

The clutch will smell/smoke any time you slip it, whether from starting up on an incline or when two up. Dry clutch disc is the reason verses a wet clutch disc.

Fuel guage is just an indicator. Rely on mileage, reset trip odometer after each fuel up and then refuel at about 250 miles or when showing less than half a tank, especially when in areas where gas stations are not numerous!

Check your owner's manual for info on headlight alignment, it explains both up/down and lateral shifting of lights.

rgmanley
10-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Congrats on the new RT.

Bugs on the inside of the windscreen. This is caused because the windscreen sucks. Actually, it is an aerodynamic phenomena. Try running the screen all the way up at highway speed. You should feel yourself being pulled forward. This is caused because the screen is creating a vacuum behind itself. Thus the little buggies get sucked into it. Tough way to die. Just when they thought they were by that big on M/C, it sucks them back into the screen. Splat!

Use something like Plexus or Honda cleaner on the plastic. It's very sensitive to microscratching.

The GPS is superb. Takes a while to get proficient with it.

Try this site for everything you ever wanted to know about it.

www.zumoforums.com

It's really active and has tutorials on all of the features and capabilities of the Zumo and Mapsource. The Bumo is essentially a Garmin Zumo 550, with some proprietary BMW SW loaded

Ron
05 R1200RT Nimbus

Tom K.
10-15-2007, 05:11 PM
First 600 mile impressions are very good, apart from above notes. Very quiet and very comfortable...it certainly enjoys Route 211 :clap Rory

One of the benefits of the ZTechnik V-stream shield is the great reduction in inside bug splats. For the outside of the shield, Plexus works great.

As others have posted, you'll get used to the tall 1st gear. I try to engage the clutch at around 2,000 rpm when riding double, and have encountered no smells or smoke from the clutch.

If you are enjoying 211, you also might try heading north a bit into the Catoctin mountains - great riding area!
Tom

REBGEN
10-15-2007, 11:12 PM
<<Will look for the Tail Blazer - thanks!>>

I've used this for three years and it works great. The first unit failed in the first year and they mailed a replacement out ASAP.

hlothery
10-16-2007, 01:08 PM
The headlight on my 05 RT has an adjustment lever to lower the headlight beam a little for two-up riding. It is described in the owner's manual, you just reach up under the left side of the fairing and flip the lever.....really simple to do. Since I ride two up most of the time, and rarely at night, I just leave it in the "two-up" position all the time now. Until I did that, I used to get some flashes from cars also.

RYEFLYER
10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Good notion - thanks - I will discuss it with Mortons when I take it in on Thursday.

SilverRT
10-17-2007, 04:17 AM
Interesting advice from Mortons. I installed high and a low tone Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns and removed the BMW horn. It's on my scooter now since the factory '07 RT horn sounds like a scooter horn. One Fiamm horn fits right on the same clamp as the OEM horn and I mounted the second one the cross bar with a rubber covered hose clamp. This works fine with no electronics issues.

RYEFLYER
10-17-2007, 11:41 AM
That is interesting feedback. With my former GS :violin , the dealer installed the twin horns as well, leaving the original "beeper" on the bike. The service manager at Mortons indicated it was necessary to "satisfy" the Can Bus system, and that the new horns alone would not work correctly. It was difficult to even hear the old horns with the new ones blaring away.

I miss the torque of the GS, but I am looking forward to doing some serious miles on the RT. So far I seem to be riding it a little slower, which is probably a good thing.

BernieEcht
10-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I replaced my factory horn with the dual horn setup from the 05 RT and mounted it in the same spots as on the 05. The wires are already there and had to only plug it in. Works fine, use it all the time. If any one wants to buy the original horn, give me a call. I think I mount it on my lawn mower.:)

hlothery
10-17-2007, 08:37 PM
On my 05 RT, I have to warn my wife prior to using the horn.....it is so loud it scares the crap out of her if we are two-up and I don't. :D

cptchaos
10-18-2007, 01:24 PM

Rory

I have had my RT since 2005 the gas gauge usually takes some time to go all the way to full (about 15 min of riding) as does the range information on the trip computer. The range information can't be counted on. If you remove the rubber piece at the bottom of the "fill cone" it is easier to get your tank full. It is hard toget the last half gallon into the tank. my range is generally 310 miles at 80 mph or less. I haven't been able to find a L E D. tail light either. The 1200 fixed most of the minor issues I had with my 1100rt. Dan.

BernieEcht
10-19-2007, 01:42 AM
You can add a P-3 flashing brake light to your rear tag assembly. Very effective and no problems with the CanBus. Your dealer may not want to install i, it is not from BMW.
http://www.p3lights.com/
You can retro fit your bike with the horns from the 05-06 RT. You will need both horns (hi and low) and one bracket and one nut. The wires are already there ready to plug in. There is no reason to keep the old pancake horn. If you lay on the horn for an extended period, the computer may shut down the horn, until you restart the bike. If you need the part numbers, PM me.
I had a hard time filling the tank also, lots of splash back, no matter how slow I filled the tank. One day I just simple reached into the tank opening and pulled out the rubber sleeve, that is inserted into the opening. Now I can fill the tank like my R1100RT and also can fill the tank all the way.
I always had lots of bug guts on the rear side of the shield of the R1100RT. I think it is a sign that you must be exceeding the speed limit.:)

Hankles
10-19-2007, 08:28 PM
I agree with CPTCHAOS. I have an 05 RT and when I fill it completely, it takes about 10 to 15minutes of riding before it goes from 3/4's to all the way full.

Hankles

planepaul1949
10-23-2007, 05:52 AM
I have an '05, and installed the Hyperlites. They are great, and straightforward to install.
Your engine will deliver more bottom end torque the more miles you put on. Then the clutch issue will be easier to deal with. I came from a wet clutch bike, and had to relearn taking off in 1st gear (after 40 years of riding). I try to use absolute minimum RPM to take off from a stop. 2,000 RPM or less. 1,500 is my aim. Not so easy double up on a hill.
The RT is the best bike I have ever owned. I love it. Have fun with yours.
Paul in CA
'05R1200RT