PDA

View Full Version : K or R bike? noob here

MISTERMO
10-09-2007, 12:40 AM
I know this is the hexhead forum, so I expect the advice to be skewed that way, but what are the general advantages/disadvantages of an R bike vs. a similar K model? Certainly the K is heavier, but is the R 'traditional' BMW? Which motor will hold up better over the long run? Any advice is welcome.

Oh, and before I get panned, I tried searching the archives. Thanks in advance!

TomR1200
10-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi MRMO,

Welcome to the forum.

I think you'll get a better response if you tell us a few things.

1. What do you want to do with your bike? (Tour, commute, day trips, etc)

2. What, if anything, have you ridden in the past?

3. Have you test ridden, or even sat on, a new K or R bike?

Cheers, Tom

larrydk
10-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Both great bikes, but very different reasons for getting each one.

I love the R bikes for the tradition of the motor.

hass
10-09-2007, 07:35 AM
If you have little or no riding experience then any older BMW model (K or R) would be suitable I think. If you are looking at the newer models (2000 onwards) then I would recommend you stick to the R bikes as they are somewhat easier to ride. A R1150RS is a great learner bike as is the new R1200R (especially with the traction control system ACS and ABS brakes).

MISTERMO
10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
My history, years ago, was with Kawasaki sport bikes. Thankfully, I'm still alive to talk about those days. I've matured no longer have speed as my primary objective in looking for a bike. I've ridden the r1200gs a fair amount. It's fine, but coming from a sport bike background (and I also used to race bicycles), the upright position feels awkward to me. I imagine I could get used to it over time.

One post suggested the r1150rs. I'm keenly interested in that bike along with the K12RS and perhaps the R12ST. That is the basis for my questions. I'm told the R1200 motor is a big improvement over the R1150. I have no basis for comparisons with the K so I thought I'd ask.

Lastly, I'm tall: 6'3" I don't want to feel cramped which accounts for my interest in the GS.

Thanks.

MISTERMO
10-09-2007, 06:39 PM
...forgot to mention that my interest lies in a good, all around bike. Some touring, commuting and fun weekend riding. I'm after the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. Nothing specialized, but a good all 'rounder.

MOTOR31
10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
...forgot to mention that my interest lies in a good, all around bike. Some touring, commuting and fun weekend riding. I'm after the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. Nothing specialized, but a good all 'rounder.

Go with the R twin then. What you just wrote is a good description of the bike.

YELLOW_S
10-09-2007, 09:31 PM
R bikes are the best :)

grossjohann
10-09-2007, 09:39 PM

I ride a 2004 R1150RS, and what you've explained here describes it to a 't'.

The R1200ST is somewhat lighter, and has about 10 more horses than the R1150RS, but BMW has had some issues with the design, and it has been subsequently discontinued after only a couple of years. The R1150RS was discontinued in 2004, but I believe after running for three years, not counting the nearly identical R1100RS which I believe came out in 1992.

"R" or "K", unless you need the latest and greatest, I would stick with the “tried and true” models. BMW have been pushed hard as of late, and may be having some teething issues.

hass
10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
...forgot to mention that my interest lies in a good, all around bike. Some touring, commuting and fun weekend riding. I'm after the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. Nothing specialized, but a good all 'rounder.In that case you should test-ride the R1200R! I had a K1200S - which I thought was exactly what you describe but one ride on the R1200R changed all that!

MechanicSavant
10-15-2007, 09:13 AM
IMHO I'll take an R-bike for 1 huge reason SAFTEY ..I had an 85 k-bike for 16 yrs. & loved every one of the 200k mi. of service it gave me ..around 2002 a R1150r stole my heart & I traded , it was a bit of an adjustment from K toR ..what a difference 16yrs of technology makes WOW killer brakes & suspension not to mention a stout twin ...Then it happened !!! I went down at an infamous RR crossing on my way to the W/Va. national on rubber covered RR track crossing , the bike slamed down on the rt. side HARD on the rubber & raills bounced up & came down just as hard on the left on the roadway !!! after all the banging n sliding ceased I did a physical inventory ,,Wow no major trauma !!! the juy just in front o me not so lucky ..Ya see ther'se just enough space between the cyl head & hard bag for a human leg to hide when it all goe s sooo wrong ..busted the plastic head protectors ,,beat up the outer bags ,,scuffeyed up the GS hand guards a bit me I was just bruised & abit stiff ..duct tape & zip ties got me home!!! I just took delivery of a R1200ra & had cyl head guards,1200gs hand guards & hard bags worked into the deal !!! this bike is a-f*%king- mazing once again a major tech leap from an 1150r (which is an xlnt mount) Time to ride n farkel...ttfn:bikes

Motorwerk
10-15-2007, 04:53 PM
FYI

R = Original BMW airplane engine. (air/oil-cooled)

K = New Kompact uber engine. (water-cooled)

Pick your powerplant.

progress49
10-15-2007, 05:37 PM
+1 for the R1200ST. Talk is there are about 650 in the country, but BMW has to support them for at least 10 years. They are great all around bikes and a couple of very nice looking '05s are for sale right now, check IBMWR.

hcmiller52
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
My history, years ago, was with Kawasaki sport bikes. Thankfully, I'm still alive to talk about those days. I've matured no longer have speed as my primary objective in looking for a bike. I've ridden the r1200gs a fair amount. It's fine, but coming from a sport bike background (and I also used to race bicycles), the upright position feels awkward to me. I imagine I could get used to it over time.

One post suggested the r1150rs. I'm keenly interested in that bike along with the K12RS and perhaps the R12ST. That is the basis for my questions. I'm told the R1200 motor is a big improvement over the R1150. I have no basis for comparisons with the K so I thought I'd ask.

Lastly, I'm tall: 6'3" I don't want to feel cramped which accounts for my interest in the GS.I think your question is very legitimate. I, too, am 6'3", so bear that in mind.

I started with an RT a couple of years ago, then swapped for a GS-Adv. and love it. I come from a bicycling background and, like you, still find an upright riding position to be fatiguing...because it is! You won't find much agreement on that point around here, however. Anyway, like others have said, there is just "something" about the R motor that is addictive. OTOH, the powerband of the K - especially the new one - must be experienced to be believed. My 1150 GS or 1200 CLC motors sound - and feel - like old John Deere tractor motors by comparison. Still, addictive is addictive, and I just bought an R1100S Boxer Cup Replika a week ago and it goes a huge distance towards wrestling down the power deficit syndrome of R motors. Still, even my awkkward and sluggish R1200CLC is to be loved. BMW makes machined that are superlative, with a fit and finish unlike anything else on the market. You can't go wrong either way. I would encouge you to look at one of the faster R bikes to start with. The K is great but may be a bit of a handful to start with.

Curt

DJERROLDS
10-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I have both and like the k better. it tours good and is a blast on the road, don't like gravel at all

gulfcoastbeemer
10-16-2007, 12:40 AM
I was looking for a sport-touring bike. The choice for me was between the K1200GT and the R1200RT. I'm 6'3" as well.

I choose the R1200RT. I felt more comfortable on the R1200RT. It has plenty of useable power. It's light and nimble. The boxer engine has a predictable power band and gives you nice feedback. It's really fun on twisty mountain roads. I enjoy doing my own routine maintenance, which is simple to perform on the R1200RT. The R1200 motor is proven, reliable and very durable.

I have friends who have the K1200GT. They seem to be incapable of staying anywhere near the speed limit, and have the speeding tickets to prove it. If you still have a need for speed, and a more forward leaning riding position, you may prefer the K1200GT. I think K1200 engine maintenance is more involved.

I believe you can still special order the R1200ST. If you go to European BMW web site (http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/bikes/tour/r1200st/r1200st_main.html), you will see it listed there.

briana
10-16-2007, 01:09 AM
I rushed into buying my 2005 R1200ST. I was sure it was the bike for me, but now i wish i bought a K1200. The R model just vibrates 2 much for me. I'm thinking of selling or possibly finding someone willing to trade my ST for a k1200, 2005 or newer.
Brian
Ashland, Massachusetts

gulfcoastbeemer
10-16-2007, 01:40 AM
I rushed into buying my 2005 R1200ST. I was sure it was the bike for me, but now i wish i bought a K1200. The R model just vibrates 2 much for me. I'm thinking of selling or possibly finding someone willing to trade my ST for a k1200, 2005 or newer.
Brian
Ashland, Massachusetts

If you are experiencing vibration, you should check that the throttle-bodies are in sync. If one side is pulling more than the other, that's the problem.

The Twinmax Electronic Carburetor (Throttle Body) Balancer can do the job in minutes.

briana
10-16-2007, 02:05 AM
I just had the 6000 mile service done which included the throttle body sync. It's not an accessive vibration, it's just that after 7000 miles it still bothers me. I am going to test ride a few K models this weekend just to see how they are.