PDA

View Full Version : 600 Mile Service ?

TomR1200
10-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Hello,

Short Version: I bought a "Demo" R1200R from a BMW dealership over eBay with 1650 miles on it. It was advertised as having had the 600 mile service, but they can produce no evidence of this. I am a pessimist, and I assume it was not done.

Can anyone point me to an online checklist for the 600-mile service? My lame-o modern Rider's Manual does not seem to list it all. I know about the oil change, FD fluid change, and head retorque. Are there any other major/critical items?

Thanks, Tom

burnszilla
10-03-2007, 01:53 AM
I reckon the R's would be quite similar.. http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Maintenance-Schedules.pdf

flymymbz
10-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Hello,

Short Version: I bought a "Demo" R1200R from a BMW dealership over eBay with 1650 miles on it. It was advertised as having had the 600 mile service, but they can produce no evidence of this. I am a pessimist, and I assume it was not done.

Thanks, Tom

If'n they can't prove it were done, I hope they knocked about $600 bucks off the price or are willing to do the service for ya. Seeing as it was ADVERTISED as having been done........

http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/service_dept/schedules/d_R1150R_WP.pdf

Most BMW dealer sites have maintenance schedules linked, here's one that lists a bunch:

http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=53

Dee
Not amused with the dealer that did the 600 mile service on my R12C........Thieving bastages............

TomR1200
10-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Great links guys, just what I needed. Thanks.

pgods
10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Hello,

Can anyone point me to an online checklist for the 600-mile service? My lame-o modern Rider's Manual does not seem to list it all. I know about the oil change, FD fluid change, and head retorque. Are there any other major/critical items?

Thanks, Tom

Email Jim VonBaden ( JimVonBaden@msn.com). He's the tech guru on the Adventure Rider forum. Very nice person and extremely helpful. He also offers a maintenance DVD for the 1200GS (excellent), but I suspect the info applies to the R1200R too.

TomR1200
10-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks all. The General Manager of the dealership where I bought my bike just called: the bike indeed has not received its 600 mile service. I did an oil/filter change today, and I'll be taking it to my local dealer on October 16 for the rest, at the selling dealer's expense.

I'm pissed off that I ran the same oil for 2800 miles, but life is short, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I considered not riding it until the service, but the weather's too nice, and in about 6 weeks it'll be nasty. Carpe diem.

Cheers, Tom Marincic

FredRydr
10-03-2007, 08:56 PM
The General Manager of the dealership where I bought my bike just called: the bike indeed has not received its 600 mile service.There's no excuse for that misrepresentation, even if the selling dealer was different from the dealer that used the bike as a demo. I wouldn't lose sleep over the late service, either, but it would be good to share with us the name of the selling dealer.

Fred
'07 R1200R

TomR1200
10-04-2007, 12:12 AM
The selling dealer and the dealer that used the bike as a demo are the same. I'll tell you their name after they pay for my 600 mile service at the local (innocent) dealer.

Here's the description of the bike from the eBay ad:

Description
This is an incredible opportunity to purchase BMW's incredible R1200R at a huge discount!!!

This R1200R has the classic BMW black paint with white pinstripes and comes loaded with options. It has electronic suspension adjustment, bike computer, alarm system, center stand, anti-lock brakes, heated grips, sport windshield, bag mounts, on board computer, and more!!!

That's not all. In addition this bike has received its 600 mile service, a $300 value!!! Plus it comes with Factory Warranty through 08/26/2010!!

Don't miss out on this opportunity to own the best naked bike on the market!! Come by XXXXX BMW Motorcycles' XXXXXXXXXXXX location for a test ride. We are located just XX miles north of XXXXXXXx and XX miles east of XXXXXXXXX, XX.

Call XXXXXXXXXX at XXXXXXXXX, ext XXX!!!

Obviously, you could play detective with eBay's search function and find out who they are. Just don't post the name here, OK? I've had a bad enough day already...

FredRydr
10-04-2007, 02:43 AM
I like the salesman's disclaimer:
This auction is a legally binding contract to buy this vehicle. All vehicles are sold as-is unless otherwise specified. I have done my best to accurately describe this vehicle. It is up to the buyer to come see and further inspect the car before the end of the auction.

Done his best, eh?

Oh brother.

Fred

1analguy
10-04-2007, 03:23 AM
The great part is that if you already like the bike, you're going to LOVE it after the service. They'll adjust the valves and sync the throttle bodies, too. When my RT was done, it went from merely terrific to downright fantastic! So much smoother...it just feels completely happy now. 1600 miles on the oil is nothing. People often picture metal shavings floating around inside the engine before the first oil change, but that's just not possible. The filter takes all that stuff out. It sounds like a great bike. Enjoy!:thumb

marcopolo
10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
You can get the full maintenance schedule for the R1200R at BMW Canada's site. Just click on the drop-down menu on the left side of the home page to "select a category". Just pick R1200; when the page loads select the maintenance schedule on the right side of the page. A PDF file will load. One important thing you need to get done is the change of final drive fluid.

http://bmw-motorrad.ca/flash_content/index.html

TomR1200
10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks again for the encouragement, gents.

Fred, if you like the disclaimer on the eBay ad, get a load of this email I exchanged with the sales manager of the dealership on 9/14, BEFORE I bid above the reserve on the bike (his reply is on top, my questions on bottom):

Yes to all

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 5:32 PM
To: Frank Mxxxxxxx
Subject: ***POSSIBLE SPAM*** RE: ***POSSIBLE SPAM*** RE: Congratulations!
You're high bidder on Item #160156744869

Frank,

Thanks for that info.

Just to confirm, the black R1200R was a demo bike, you guys did the 600
mile service, and you have the paperwork for that service. There is no
damage to the bike, repaired or otherwise, correct? Looks and rides
perfect/brand new?

The bike has: ESA, ABS, Heated grips, Alarm, Centerstand, bag mounts, and
Sport Windshield, and no other options. It has the "normal" height seat.

Thanks, Tom Marincic